Who has their fireworks ready for tonight?

@mentalward (14716)
If you live in the U.S., are you ready to celebrate? Do you have fireworks of your own? We do. Since moving to Virginia, where they are legal, we've had great fun setting them off and watching them. I know there are also thousands of public firework displays going on tonight so, if you don't have your own, will you be going to watch them at a public display? I always love the fireworks. Don't forget your "Ooooohs" and "Aaaaaahs"! In Canada, did you watch or have your own fireworks on the first? If native to any other country, have you had firework displays recently? Please do tell!!!
@caver1 (1765)
We will not spend money on fireworks. If we want to see the fireworks display we can go to one of several in our area. The big one will be down by the river in our capital city. Our small subrean city will also have a display, though smaller of course, but less crowded.
@mentalward (14716)
Sometimes smaller is better! I remember our bicentennial year, 1976, I went to Fort McHenry (where our National Anthem was written) to watch the fireworks. I thought they would be exceptionally great that year, being the country's 200th anniversary, but they stunk! They were awful! One would be shot off, go up, explode and everyone got excited. I know that at least 2 minutes went by before the next one went up. It was like that throughout the entire display! The only really exciting part about that year was when one of the fireworks malfunctioned and landed on the roof of Ft. McHenry, THEN exploded! Yep, it caught fire. Fire trucks came screaming from every direction! Sadly, that was the most exciting part of that whole night! Still, I'm always amazed by fireworks. I kinda know how they work but I'm in awe by those who actually make them. Some are quite complicated but absolutely spectacular when they go off! The display we have here in town isn't that big, either, but it's still nice. Unfortunately, maybe, we have a 50% chance of rain tonight. I hope it holds off until after all the festivities! Enjoy the celebration and stay safe!
@caver1 (1765)
We have about a 30% chance of rain. Like you everyone is hoping it holds off until late.
@khayshenz (1387)
It's foggy right now here in Cali - so I might have to drive down to the beach to see the fireworks. They're illegal here, they're only allowed if the City or the County is putting it up. So the beach is where they usually have an elaborate fireworks display. It's really nice - especially on clearer days. We'll see what the night brings to us. Have fun and be safe!
@mentalward (14716)
I hope it clears up for you and you get to see a spectacular display! I've heard about the woes of California right now (debt) and hope that gets better VERY soon! Enjoy tonight and be safe!
@khayshenz (1387)
Hahahahahaha- I doubt that the budget issues will be "fixed" anytime soon. The governor doesn't want "easy" solutions to the problem. He wants to bridge the massive deficit in one swoop! And the special election was a waste of time and money! I don't know if the legislators were thinking AT ALL when they wrote up those stupid propositions. Thanks for the well wishes.
@dragon54u (30267)
I don't need any of my own because everyone else has them! It is illegal to have real fireworks here in Ohio. You can buy them but have to sign a paper saying you won't set them off within the state...yeah, right! I saw some great displays last night, a couple of blocks away. I got to watch them as I lay in bed with my two terrified dogs cowering under the covers from all the noise. Poor things, they don't realize that the noises are harmless. People were considerate, though, and stopped around 11PM. Cookie nearly ran herself ragged, back and forth in the yard, every time something exploded she'd run in that direction. I finally had to bring her in and block off the doggie door. I wish the dogs could enjoy or at least ignore the fireworks. It should be fairly peaceful tonight because it's supposed to rain but around here, fireworks don't really go away till the end of July!
@mentalward (14716)
Same here, dragon. I'll be hearing them for quite awhile now. My dogs were frightened by the noise, but weren't too bad. Once I came back inside and they glued themselves to me, they calmed right down. My oldest dog is terrified of thunder but she wasn't nearly as frightened by the fireworks. It seems like every other house had some they were shooting off! What I don't understand is that the kind that most people were setting off are not on the "safe" list our state lists every year. The're called 'Mortars'; they're the ones that go WAY up and explode halfway across the sky. They're beautiful, but considered illegal here, yet you can buy them anywhere and not have to sign anything. I don't get it. No one has ever been stopped or fined from having them, either. Plus, we have a sheriff living just two houses down from us and he doesn't mind us doing this, either. That's what we had here last night. We didn't set many off because more rain was coming and I wanted to get my son home before it started. But, it was great while it lasted! I still have a lot left, though. I bought them all last year but didn't get to set off too many because it rained last year, too. But, I think we'll set more off on Wednesday, when both of my boys can be here. I've talked to my neighbors about it and no one has any objections. We always stop before 10:00 p.m.
@ElicBxn (59663)
its illegal to have them in the city and since its so dry, it should be illegal all over right now no, don't much care for fireworks, don't like the loud noises, if they could pass on the booms I'd like them better
@mentalward (14716)
I could pass on the noise, too. My dogs were frightened by them but not nearly as bad as the older one gets when she hears thunder. I cuddled with them and they were fine with that. We didn't set off too many because rain was coming. My son maybe set off 4 or 5 and that was it. But, I have to say, they were spectacular! I could hear some neighbors of ours appreciating them, too. We can't see them because of the trees but we can hear them because the lake carries sound and they were Ooooohing and Aaaaaahing each time my son set one off. It's definitely not dry here! We've had so much rain this season that I've expected to see more toadstools/mushrooms and more moss than ever! Plus, we shoot them off tilted slightly towards the lake so anything that is still burning when it comes back down will go into the lake. I do remember one year when I lived in Baltimore City when even the public fireworks display was cancelled because we had a really severe drought. We watched fireworks on TV that year.
@rdadey (484)
Happy July 4th to ya. Yes, up here in Canada we shoot off fireworks all across the country on July 1st. Smaller towns means smaller displays of course. My daughter bought some and set them off after we watched the community do theirs. Other people did that as well, big sale on fireworks the day before Canada Day...lol. It's fun to watch and kids love it.
@bunnybon7 (29209)
• Holiday, Florida
no, i dont do much about that any more. we went to an old friends house to celebrate. then, sons gf got all hateful about who knows what. didnt even say what was wrong but oh well i shugged it off and didnt let it spoil my day.
@mentalward (14716)
It's times like that when I have to question testosterone! You see it everywhere, in real life, in movies, etc. where two people of the male species get into a big fight over something trivial and have to beat each other up. I raised my boys telling them "During an argument, any baboon can use his fists; it takes a BIG man to use his brain." Why people have to do stupid things and chance ruining the fun for everyone else i beyond me. I guess they have no self-control. Glad to hear you didn't let it spoil your day! Kudos!!!
@bunnybon7 (29209)
• Holiday, Florida
no, it was his girlfriend as usual that was being an a$$$ but i do wonder sometimes if shes got a gland problem or what son tried to cheer her up and get it out of her. i think, frankly, she was jealous that everyone wasnt paying attention to her. these were friends shes seen lately. and i hadnt seen them for 4 yrs. so you can see that was likely it.
@commanderxo (1497)
I wasn't going to say much to you about July 4th, seeing as how much you've been so in love with your government and all lately.....but yes, we did get to see some fireworks here, back on July 1st. Thank you very much. Mind you, it was in the playground around the corner, put on by the local neighbors. Toronto usually has 2 amazingly huge displays every year, but unfortunately this year they did not, due to the now 13 day old garbage strike. Ridiculous! However, Happy 233rd Birthday to all of our great neighbors to the south. May have many, many more. Cheers everyone!!! cdrxo
@mentalward (14716)
Well, I must admit that I wasn't celebrating the birthday of our country as much as I was just having fun, but still, I do love this country... I just can't stand the government! For the most part, the people here are pretty cool, at least where we live. During our bicentennial celebration, 1976, I went to Fort McHenry (birthplace of our national anthem) to watch the fireworks display. They were pitiful! Worst I've ever seen. I was severely disappointed! But, one of them did misfire, came down and landed on Fort McHenry's roof, and caught fire. That was the most exciting thing that happened that night! Now, about that garbage strike... EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! I read a funny story about some guy in New York who got rid of his trash very easily and extremely fast during a major garbage strike they were having. He put his garbage in boxes, wrapped the boxes to look like gifts, put them on his front steps and went back inside. In a matter of minutes, someone had scooped them up and ran off with them, thinking they were getting something really cool when, in fact, all they got was nicely wrapped garbage! They weren't going to DARE return them! Try it! It might work!
• Portugal
Well you are lucky to go where they are allowed. Ubnfortunately, i do not, so i won´t have any, which is really a shame. I hope you like it a lot. I would like to see them on a public display i won´t be able to do it neither, which is really bad, but what can i do? Best regards
@mentalward (14716)
Aww, I'm sorry that you can't participate! I'm sure you could find them somewhere on TV or the internet but I know that's not the same. Of course, watching them from a television or computer isn't nearly as loud as being there. Those things are LOUD!!! My poor dogs were so scared! But, as soon as I came inside, they grabbed onto me and were immediately better. Poor things. Maybe I should get them earplugs next time. I do hope that you will be able to see fireworks some time in your life, at least once! They really are awesome!
@paula27661 (15900)
We have Australia Day fireworks on January 26th each year. It’s called “Skyshow” and it is a very big organized event. The whole city is closed for the day and there is activities and entertainment on the river foreshore until around 8 p.m. when the “Skyshow” starts and the idea is to have the radio on and listen to a special choreographed soundtrack with the fireworks and at one point everybody is to wave their torches or mobile phones to create lights emanating from the swarm of people. It’s pretty exciting but not great if you don’t like crowds!
@mentalward (14716)
I think that's a universal thing... fireworks and crowds. They just go together. I'm going to have to tell my youngest son about your "Skyshow". His birthday is January 26th! What a spectacular way to spend your birthday! I could handle that now but when I was younger, no way! I couldn't stand crowds! I have had panic disorder (I think it's now called anxiety disorder) since the age of 17. At one point, I developed agoraphobia (fear of crowds) and you couldn't have gotten me anywhere near a crowd, not even with a crowbar! I wouldn't budge from wherever I was. Nope, no crowds for me! But, I'm better now. I still don't like huge crowds but they don't bother me like they used to. So, now I know where I'll have to be on January 26th next year.
@tbmorris1 (158)
We're a bit low on funds at the moment, so we haven't bought any fireworks of our own! We haven't done so in a few years. It must be nice to live some where that allows them! I always worried about that when living in the city limits with my parents when I was a teenager! We were invited to my sister's house for dinner and fireworks afterward. She bought about $100 worth! I told her she was crazy for that, but she said she wanted a good show for my daughter and her son to see! Last 4th of July, my daughter wasn't even a year old yet and she was okay with them. I'm hoping the same for this year! Enjoy your weekend!
@mentalward (14716)
We couldn't afford new ones this year but I have a lot left over from last year. It rained last year. We were only able to get a few off before the rain came, so I was stuck with quite a lot of them. I have to say that I'm also guilty of buying too many, or I should say spending too much money on them. But, we had it last year so why not? This year, well, the end of last year, my husband was laid off, two weeks before Christmas and was unemployed for almost 4 months. We're still trying to catch up so there's no way I could buy any new ones this year. I can only hope last year's are still good. Our basement is quite dry but it gets awfully cold in the winter. We normally buy pellets for our pellet stove in the basement but we couldn't even afford them this past year. So, I can only hope for the best that last year's fireworks still work. If not, we'll go into town and watch the public display. I sure hope your daughter enjoys the fireworks and they don't scare her! I remember my oldest son was scared badly when he was a year old by all the noise. I hope the weather is great and the show is nice. Have fun and be safe!
They aren't legal in my county, but I wasn't here on the fourth of July. As you can see, I'm WAY late on my notifications. I was gone from July 2nd to July 5th, and I got back late that evening. So I have a lot of notifications to go through. But we did have fireworks where we were. We were together for a reunion for my dad's side of the family. They had a public showing of fireworks, although at 1am in the morning you could hear individuals shooting off fireworks. I imagine it was some teens bent on having fun, albeit illegal fun.
@commanderxo (1497)
Sorry...may YOU have many, many more. Ta!
@littleowl (7157)
Here in tber the UK we don't have fireworks until Novemember the 5th as that is Guyfawks Day the day he tried to blow up the Tower of London...notmally then though I go to a fireword display sometimes or just stay indoors and look after my dogs..they get scared stiff of them...fireworks must be like a bomb going off to them as their hearing is so acute...LoLo
Hello, I live in Hawaii and I am going to light up some fireworks tonight. I hope the North Korean missiles don't reach here, I value my life!
@schulzie (4071)
Well, we have always bought fireworks but this year we were really broke, besides we just moved into a condo a few months ago and there is an association and they do not allow us to set off fireworks. So, we are planning to go to a fireworks display tonight. We'll see how it goes. How can you not do fireworks on the 4th of July? Have a great day and happy myLotting!!!