The Fourth of July

@worldwise1 (14892)
I truly hope that everyone is enjoying the holiday. For me, it's just another day. This holiday has never been one of my favorites for some reason. I suppose I've never really felt that I had any remarkable degree of freedom to celebrate. I envy those who do. My sister's birthday is today, and I called to wish her a Happy Birthday this morning, but she was already up and out I guess. She was just released from the hospital again, but she refuses to take it easy. I know there was a big celebration planned for her today. She has said that she would like for me to join her on her birthday, but I'm just not up to it physically. I am dealing with two medical issues right now myself, so I'll just be taking things easy today. What are your plans? What does Independence Day mean to you personally?
@robert19ph (4587)
hello worldwise, Happy holiday. You must paint the town red with your family and friends. This way, you will not only enjoy but also have fun and memories with them. You should enjoy while you can. Enjoy life to the fullest. Having a holiday like this day will give you rest to your work and relax. For me Independence Day is really a day to celebrate. A day to recall and be proud of for our freedom to the invaders.
@worldwise1 (14892)
Sorry, robert, but I guess that I echo the feelings of many people who don't particularly feel they have much to celebrate these days. People have lost their homes; are out of work; and literally cannot put food on the table, -no good reasons to celebrate it seems.
That's really sad. I hope those people can still find time to hope and find something to celebrate even in these recessions.
For me it is a day for my kids to enjoy. I zoom in on the reality of alot of reasoning. My grandson is alittle young yet to understand the history behind it. For me it is a day of thanks that I just thoughtfully endorce at some point during it and move on. One day I hope to tell my grandson about the history just like I want to tell him the history behind several other things. Teehee
@worldwise1 (14892)
I'm not sure that all of the adults even know exactly what the day signifies, celticeagle.All some of them need to know is that it's a holiday - a time to party.
Maybe that is a form of independence to them.
@iwinagain (546)
Unfortunately, my family and I don't celebrate this holiday, actually we don't celebrate any holidays now. We used to celebrate a few holidays when I was little, but I guess we just all grew out of our holiday spirits. lol But I do wish we can celebrate some holidays again. I don't have any plans, I just go with the flow. Independence Day reminds of that alien movie with Will Smith in it. lol Anyways, to me, Independence Day is a day to celebrate peace and freedom of our nation and to remember the people that helped make it turn into that nation.
@worldwise1 (14892)
Thank you for your thoughts on the subject, iwinagain.
@stephcjh (32388)
It is not much to us anymore either. It is just another day since we work seven days a week. fireworks are a waste of money also. I like the holiday but we did not do anything special. I painted my ceiling a bit today and we cooked out but that was about it.
@worldwise1 (14892)
It has been against the law for some time now in my state to set off your own fireworks, stephcjh, although some people do break the law. If you want to see fireworks these days everything is organized and scheduled right down to the second. Much of the fun has gone out of the holiday.
@pyewacket (43961)
The Fourth of July was never a "big" thing in my family...the only time my grandmother, mother and I did anything special was way back in 1976 during the Bi-Centennial and saw the Operation Sail of the Tall Ships...since my grandmother and mother worked for Banker's Trust we were allowed to view it all from the Banker's Trust Plaza building in a nice air-conditioned office (later renamed Deuscthe) that was right next door to the Twin Towers...Then we stood on line at the theatre playing "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum"--the first 100 people on line were able to see the performance....free! I still have pics from that day, and it's eerie how in some of my photos you can see the shadows of the Towers--but nope we weren't into BBQs, picnics or anything like that As for what I did today...got up earlier than usual and decided to stock up on groceries...LOL...among things I got some hot dogs and beans for a traditional July 4th dinner...
@worldwise1 (14892)
Well, pyewacket, I made a nice tuna salad for the Fourth of July!My daughter did bring me a piece of barbecued rib later, though. My feelings about the holiday might stem from the fact that I grew up in a rural area was probably a community softball game as celebration. I remember the Bi-Centennial well because it was an important date history-wise. Pictures provide an excellent way to see where we've come from and where we are.
@lynnemg (4541)
I am sorry that you do not enjoy this particular holiday. AS for me, this holiday holds many wonderful childhood memories for me and I intend to give my children some nice memories of this day to carry with them through their lives. Our day hasn't been much yet. We slept in, cleaned up the house a bit more, then, I cooked out on the grill. Now, we are awaiting nightfall so that we can set off a small arsenal of fireworks. This is the main part that my kids are looking forward to. They have been doing little things through out the day, but we are waiting for nightfall to set off the pretty fireworks.
@worldwise1 (14892)
I hope that you and your family will enjoy the fireworks, lynnemg! I remember that my children and grandchildren always enjoyed them a lot.
@Opal26 (17694)
Hi worldwise~ I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well. I don't really feel much of anything myself on this day, although I do know that I should. I am thankful for those that fought for out freedom. But, this Holiday just doesn't ever seem to be what it is supposed to mean to me. I don't really understand the fireworks and the celebrations really. To me it is also just another day with alot of unnecessary noise that makes my cats upset! I know that isn't the right attitude and I'm sorry about it, but frankly I am going through alot of personal things myself and not really feeling much like celebrating either.
@worldwise1 (14892)
Well, Opal, I'm about to watch Neil Diamond's holiday special, and seeing him perform is always a treat for me. This is the high point of my day. I hope that things settle down with you.
Well the Fourth of July here in Nebraska sucks! This is the first Fourth that I think its been gloomy and rainy! I mean our annual firework show got postponed till Sunday! And its not even hot and sunny! Well I guess you shoot fireworks at night so it doesn't have to sunny, but still its just not the same. I really can't believe the weather is making such a good holiday bad!! NOT COOL MOTHER NATURE! NOT COOL!
@worldwise1 (14892)
That really does put a damper on things, ADB.
@Shaun72 (15970)
• Palatka, Florida
I don't have any plans today myself either. Years ago I use to belive that this country had the freedom to pray to God or choose what religion that we wanted. Now it isn't that way at all anymore.
@worldwise1 (14892)
Those are some of the things I also have a problem with, Shaun. Our freedoms seem to be surely but slowly eroding.
@pyarebhai (200)
Hi myLot freind, Happy the fourth of July to all of the people concerned, I wish them all with happiest things of the day to be happen to them which they wish to have in their life. May God bless each of them to celebrate and enjoy the feeling of related important day. Seasons greetings and all the best wishes to you all.
@worldwise1 (14892)
Thank you for the good wishes, pyarebhai.
@hellcowboy (7383)
This is a really good discussion because I know holidays are really important when it comes to everyday life,because they are a good time to be with family and friends ,and I know fourth of July is really important because it is a time to celebrate our Independence which is something no one takes for granted,and I am sure that different people do different things for the fourth of July,some people might have a barbeque,and others might go swimming,and others might just go see fireworks with their families,I like the fourth of July because of the fireworks and on the fourth of July me and my fiance came home from sitting with my great grandmother because she is ninety five and has to have someone there all the time,and then me my fiance and my parents had a hamburger and hotdog cookout about five or six a clock,and then we went to our usually spot to watch fireworks,and while we waited for it to get dark,me,my fiance,and my mother read from the books we were reading,which helped pass the time,and I swear each year the fireworks get better and better and the grand finale is always amazing,have a great day,good luck with your life,and all of your mylotting goals,and Happy Posting.
@Aurone (4758)
My family has not traditionally really celebrated the 4th of July. We cook out sometimes but don't make a big fuss about it. We have occasionally gotten and set off our own fireworks, mainly sparklers. This year a friend invited me to see the San Francisco Orchestra and firework show here in the Los Altos area. It was really nice, the Orchestra played for a couple hours first and then they set off fireworks choreographed to the last few pieces played. Which included the Star Wars end credits, Star and Stripes and America the Beautiful. It was an awesome experience.
@pyarebhai (200)
Hi myLot friend, Greetings I am sorry, I wish to see you all in a happy-mood enjoying with what ever they wish to have in their life, sharing their joy with their beloved ones. Independence day, is the day where one has libarated thier country from the bondage (from wicket) enjoy the freedom, true love, actually belonging to own self with the persons with whome they wish to be incompany. So wish you happy seasons greetings and all the best wishes to all the concerned.
@carolbee (16244)
It was such a lousy day here on the 4th of July that we went to one of the local casinos and spent most of the day. It rained all weekend and pretty much ruined plans for so many people. Some public firework displays were delayed or cancelled because of the storms. Hope you feel better soon, carolbee