The Old Neighborhood

@worldwise1 (14887)
I wanted to get something to eat while I was out a few days ago, but could not decide what it was I wanted. As chance would have it, I noticed that I was in a neighborhood where I had previously lived a few times over the past thirty or so years. We were only a few blocks away from the local barbecue place that is really a landmark in the area. It has been there for as long as I can remember. I went there when my children were growing up. I had no desire for barbecue, but they serve a full menu of just about everything you can imagine. I was surprised when I walked through the door because the place had changed a lot since the last time I was there. Even with all of that the atmosphere was the same; neighbors chatting together as they waited to pick up their orders. The visit was very nostalgic for me. I asked my daughter who was with me how long it had been since she had visited there, and she told me that it was many, many years ago. All said, it was a lovely trip down memory lane for us. Have you visited a blast from your past recently?
I love the old area where I used to live. This was more than twenty years ago. The area is called Hyde Park. It has even been on the top ten International list of areas most enjoyed in communities around the world. Antique stores, restaurants, nice architecture and all. There is a place there where you can get deli sandwiches and drinks. Nice place with plenty of room outside [and in] to set and enjoy. Gets very busy on the weekends. In the good ole days when I lived there this sandwich shop had an old black limousine that they used to make their home deliveries. It isn't around anymore and the sandwiches are not near as good as they used to be. Sad but true. Still good thoough.
I know its a long shot, but are you talking about Hyde Park Cincinnati?
Nope. Hyde Park Boise.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I'm glad you have such pleasant memories of the old neighborhood, celticeagle. Maybe you could take a trip back there when you have some free time.
@Aurone (4758)
I do that twice a year when I visit my family. You would be surprised how things change even in a small town in six months. There is always something new and something of my childhood that is now gone or has been turned into something else. I have been listing to a CD album that I bought on a family trip many years ago, and it reminds me of that summer and how much fun we had. Its a good memory.
@worldwise1 (14887)
Our memories, Aurone, is something that no one can take away from us. We see the physical changes to a place, but our incredible minds gives us the ability to remember them as they used to be.
@Aurone (4758)
Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it makes me a little sad. But life goes own and luckily we can remember the good times and perhaps forget the bad.
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey worldwise! I actually still live within a 5 minute radius of my "old neighborhood"! And the funny thing is I have not really ever visited any of the places that I used to go to! Most of the restaurants are no longer there! Even though I live in pretty much the same area I go to completely different places that are closer to where I live now! I can walk to alot of the places that I go to and since I have no car that works out alot better for me! I also go on the bus one city up when I want a little change of scenery and that is something I didn't do when I was young! There is only one place left that I did go to when I was young and my boyfriend sometimes goes there to pick up food for us and that is Kentucky Fried Chicken! My family had a house right up the hill from there!
@worldwise1 (14887)
I am not very far away from the old neighborhood either, Opal, but I don't get around nearly as much as I once did, so I am thinking that I should probably get out a bit more often.
@underdogtoo (9599)
The world has changed a lot and nothing has remained the same for me. It would be nice to walk down memory lane but life is just too fast for me now. Cheers!!
@worldwise1 (14887)
Yes, underdogtoo, the world truly does move very fast these days, but we should never forget to take some time to smell the roses.
@gabs8513 (48715)
I bet that was wonderful I haven't in a long time and really have no desire to go anywhere from the Past in my case But I am glad that you took that trip and enjoyed it
@worldwise1 (14887)
Even though the area has fallen on hard times, gabs, I thought that it was great to see that people from the neighborhood seem to making the best of it.
@dante_off (607)
Yes I have such an experience. Once I had to go to the station with my friend, he suggested a shortcut and I took it and after driving a long way I realized its the way past my neighborhood actually Colony where I used to reside with my parents when I was a kid. I went into the colony, a lot had changed...all the street shops, the playground decoration, there was community hall newly made.I was there after 13 long years and it felt like I was only running there yesterday..... Really lifted my spirits a lot!!! ~Cheerio~
@worldwise1 (14887)
I am happy that you were able to enjoy the experience, dante! If we have special memories associated with a place in our past it is very nice to revisit that place now and then.
@stephcjh (32327)
That sounds wonderful. I have not been to many places as of late. We stay home alot since we work seven days a week right now. I have been to places from my past before though and some were nice and some weren't.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I understand, stephcjh, that some places hold unpleasant memories for us, but I do like it when I can latch onto a nice blast from my past.
The neighborhood that I truly consider "The old neighborhood", I don't like to go to. None of the landmarks I know are there anymore, not even my old house. The whole family knew that our street would be taken over by one of the hospitals some day (lived in the vicinity of four hospitals). But when we finally moved out of there about 14 years ago, our house was the first to go. It had become dilapidated, so after a sale fell through, there was no choice but to demolish it. As we suspected, the hospital has taken over one side of our street already. My friends house on and around the corner are both gone. Our side of the street is still there, but the house has been gone for years. Many buildings I used to know are torn down. Stores replaced by other hospital offshoots. I don't like going to the old neighborhood because there isn't any of it left I recognize. I know I'm young, but going there makes me feel sad and old.
@worldwise1 (14887)
That's such a shame, drknlvly! I'm pretty close to the area where my grandmother once lived, and it was changed completely years ago. The street she used to live on no longer exists, but when I travel around the area I am able to determine approximately where the street was located simply by observing neighboring landmarks that were close. It helps that the railroad that ran along behind her property still remains.
@carolbee (16241)
That sounds like a fun place to visit. The places I use to frequent as a kid or teenager are no longer in business. The neighborhood changed and many of the fast food or carry out restaurants were sold to smaller insurance agents or beauty shops. The two bowling alleys I use to frequent are also gone. They both burned to the ground. And the main public park close to our house is no longer safe. Recently we went to a wedding in Forest Park which is still just beautiful. We use to sleigh ride on one of the big hills and it still looks the same as it did 45 years ago. We all had fun times in that park and over the years it has improved in appearance. Love to go to that area of town. I was born and raised 8 miles from where we live now and have lived here in the same house for 35 years. It's always fun to remember the old days!