What would you do in my situation?

@mipen2006 (5528)
Australia
I'm now on the Australian pension, and although I've been married to my Thai wife for eight years, she is not entitled to recieve anything until she has lived in Australia for two years. This means I have to support her on a single mans pension. As she is on a tourist visa she will have to leave the country in September, or will have to apply for a spouses pension. However I know my income won't be considered enough to support a wife on a single pension. This is a catch 22 situation. I also have to remain in Australia for two years before I can take my pension overseas, even though I paid taxes for over thirty years, and left Australia in 1997 purely because I couldn't get a job in Australia because of my age. What would you do in my situation?
@zed_k4 (17627)
I see how you are torn in this situation, my friend.. I would wanna recommend you and your wife staying in Thailand for the 2 year duration before she could be converted to a permanent resident in Australia. But then, you wouldn't be receiving the pension overseas. So in other words, say you move overseas for awhile, come back to Australia, will you then be able to resume receiving your pension? If so, maybe you can try to work it out in Thailand and come back to Australia with your wife with her citizenship...this my opinion. Hope everything will work out for you..
@mipen2006 (5528)
Hi zed, I wish it was that simple, I taught English in Thailand after my Australian company outsourced everything, and I was considered too old to get work. Well that was in 1997, and now that I decided to retire and I find out that I have to live for two years in Australia before the government will pay me in Thailsnd. I'm angry as the law was passed in 1999, when I was already teaching in Thailand.
@zed_k4 (17627)
It is hard now that I see it in this perspective.. I would be confused on what to do if I were you as well. Can Australia embassy do anything about this? Seemingly that you and your wife are already married..
@mipen2006 (5528)
I can appeal, but most tell me that not many appeals get far. I will keep trying to find a solution, as I eat into my two years (sentence) In 2007, I wrote to the Prime Minister, but the email was just passed down the line, so there was no joy for me. However, had I been good enough to represent Australia in cricket, tennis, swimming, or some other internetional sport, I bet I would have recleved a replyfrom the PM.
@apgh09 (514)
hi mipen2006 well since your wife has experience working in a bank maybe she can apply to some of the banks in Australia. or maybe if she has a hobby she can make some money selling what ever she likes to do. I know i have been looking at some jobs that pay good for translators if she can speak English well maybe she can find a job translating Thai to English or maybe you both can create your own translation website and combine any other languages you both may know.
@mipen2006 (5528)
Hello apgh09, thanks for your comments, but getting a bank job here for a Thai is impossible. Har cooking ability would get her a position in a Thai restaurant, but then she isn't allowed to work because she's only on a tourist visa. Thanks for your input.
@adam1980 (517)
you know what i would do move to the uk where you would both be entitled to your pensions right from day one.
@mipen2006 (5528)
Yes, but do you think, one could live on about 150 pounds a week? Unfortunately the social security and immigration computers are linked, so my movements are listed, or I could return to Thailand via New Zealand. Funny though, they automatically stopped my pension when I left the country. However, when I returned I had to go to the office before it restarted, even though they were notified of both coming and going movements, and those were on their computer - four days of lost revenue. Work that out?
@meandmy3 (2228)
Is there anyway your wife can get a job? if not then I would do my best to obtain at least a part time job, something that could supplement the income you get to help with the pension.
@mipen2006 (5528)
My wife's job for the past eleven years has been taking care of me, and she does that exceptionally well. Unfortunately, her only work experience has been in a Thai bank, and that was eleven years ago. I am going to try and earn money on the net to subsidise. Wish me luck, and thanks for the comment.
@meandmy3 (2228)
Good luck and there are many things your wife can do with that experience, taking care of you that is. Many elderly people need assistance, but not to the extent of having a nurse maid. Just someone to do simple things around the house and help out where needed
@mipen2006 (5528)
Thank you meandmy, you've just sparked an idea. We will go down to thr community center in the town we are staying and see about volunteer work. This valuable work could lead to her getting a small income. Thank you again.