being asked to divulge personal information over the net

China
I have just been informed I'm a lottery winner-- big time --- they want a lot of personal info to claim the prize. What sort of scam is this?
@pisshole (493)
• New Zealand
It's not a scam. You've just hit the jackpot! Lucky you. Send them your credit card and bank details.
lol
@hotbiatch (276)
That is a big big scam and you should not fall for that. How can you win without buying tickets? and that might be a way for them to use your credit card without you knowing it.
I realise full well it's a scam -- I was just wondering what they hope to gain from it and in exactly what way they would utilise the info they get. I don't actually have a credit card and I never give out personal info over the net. Thanx 4 the comment -- sorry my reply wasn't more prompt --- I've been away for a long time. :)
They either want your bank details so that they can empty your account or they will want you to pay them to receive your "winnings" which will probably be less than you pay them or absolutley zilch.
@hotbiatch (276)
That is a big big scam and if I were you, I wouldn't fall for that because it just might be a way for them to use your credit card without you knowing it.
A huge one. They get all your info and you never get paid. how can you win a lottery without playing? And i bet it is from overseas somewhere right? Don't do it!