Local Economy vs Corporations and Working for WalMart

@N4life (851)
One thing that I believe strongly in is that we as Americans and citizens of the world need to take back responsibility for being able to take care of ourselves. To me this entails learning and in many cases re-learing some of the skills which our parents, grandparents, etc. knew and we never learned or forgot from lack of use. I partly blame the fact that so many of us work 40 or more hours a week for corporations or big businesses so that we can turn around and buy more things for these businesses. My thinking is our government should be doing everthing it can to support small business owners and self sufficiency. Unfortunately I do not think this is on the agenda of Republicans or Democrats. Self sufficiency leads to self worth and in many cases less environmental degradation. Does anyone have examples of policies from either party, or ideas of their own on how we can take back our lives from what I see as corporate slavery? Do you think it is best we all work for big companies and accept our paychecks, as well as any other negatives that come with them?
Need to start by kicking out every single politician who has served at least 2 terms or more cause no matter your party I think we can all agree that it's getting pretty old looking and listening to the same old full of self interest greed.
@N4life (851)
Completely agree here and you may not want to hear this but I think this was part of the appeal to Obama. Not that he was not part of the system but had not been for as long as say...McCain. This may be part of the appeal of Palin also, and I can understand that even though she comes off as ungenuine to me. A big part of the problem is simply the nature of people who want and are able to become major politicians is on the whole simply imoral. Perhaps real campaign finance reform could help, but I think it goes beyond that.
I agree with that, I couldn't imagine another 4 years of a Bush type been there for years republican. I was frustrated cause I saw right thru Obama for what he was and how he was influenced politically, in other words i just wasn't getting that thrill up my leg LOL.
@ZephyrSun (7387)
Well I think Clinton had the right idea with welfare limits. But, in the same sense if you take me for example I went to college and have a mountain of debt from that, with the economy the way that it is I can't find a job that pays more than $10 an hour well paying child care for three children it is cheaper for me to stay home. So if I wasn't married I would work for $10 and than have to have some type of public aid because with house payment/rent, living expenses (lights gas water) food, daycare, student loans, I wouldn't have enough to live. It's all very sad that kids go into college to make a better life for themselves and yet when they get out there's no place for them to work that actually pays a living wage. Both parties are flawed. It will continue to be that way until someone changes it.
@N4life (851)
I think both parties are flawed because of greed, corruption, etc. There are common sense answers to some of these issues that most people could agree on. Of course no person has discovered the perfect form of govt.
@irishidid (8524)
I don't see anyone forcing you to work for walmart so I wouldn't worry about it. My daughter is working for them 24 hours per week. and has had consistent raises, bonuses, paid a bonus for working Sundays, was offered full insurance benefits, has a 401k that shot up from about $52.00 to over $600.00 in a matter of a few months. We're talking part-time mind you and she only puts in $2.00 a month into her 401k. She's also saved over $5000.00 in an account to help her start her own business. They have respected her disability and kept her schedule the same. She's learned to socialize which was a large problem due to her autism. Even the highest management at the store treats her with high regard.
@N4life (851)
I'm not saying WalMart or any other big corporation has not done anything good. All I am saying is would it not be nice if we could bring back more small businesses,etc. I think it would be better for self respect and respect of others and I do not think multinationals and globalization is the answer.
@irishidid (8524)
Any conversation about Walmart bring out the myths and although you didn't mean it that way, someone will probably come along and say how evil they are. I think both Walmart and small business has a role to play in the economy. They both can and do work together. I'm all for small business. A friend's parents just opened a shop and we're working at owning our own business. I've been self-employed at home full and part time for the last several years. Give people an incentive to want to own their own business and support other small businesses.
@N4life (851)
WalMart draws attenion for sure. I think lip service is often givento supporting small business and local economies but when it comes down to it the extreme competitive nature that we have been bread to exhibit keeps us from really cooperating on a local level. Having said this, some would just rather the govt take care of them also. These are the extremes we have to get away from.
@KrauseHome (34153)
Personally I think you are on to something here. They do keep on giving $$ to people and help the Big Corporations and not worry about the small ones, but at the same time like others have expressed if they were to tell you how to spend your extra $$ or where to spend it, I don't think that this would solve the problems either. I think personally there is a lot of things that really need to be considered, but I don't think that there is an easy solution to this either.
@N4life (851)
You are correct, the govt telling use how to spend our money is not the answer. Perhaps a govt that really is cocerned with developing local economies could implement policies such as tax breaks, ending subsidies for corps, etc. that may help. Public schools could educate more about the value of self sufficiency and have more classes on how to start a business. As you said there is no easy solution.
@clutterbug (1051)
So you prefer to be a slave to the government? I believe in the free market. What does the government produce, other than a bunch of programs to spend OUR hard earned money? If it wasn't for "big corporations", the government would not have any of this money, hundreds of millions would be unemployed, and mom and pop would be scraping by, tending to their garden, and hoping to survive the next winter. I believe in a minimalist government as outlined by the Constitution and envisioned by our forefathers. Thanks for your time.
@N4life (851)
No this is not what I prefer. This is exactly my point. How do we avoid being a slave to either? I have some ideas, but I assume others do also. I don't think this can be solved through typical Democrat/Republican arguments. I know if it "wasn't for big corporatations..." I think you missed the point. Thanks for your complaints.