getting published

Has anyone been published before and if so had did you go about it? I have a kids book I would like to publish but do not want to self publish at all. What do I do?
I got published through publish america. I wrote a children's book, it is my first completed work. I plan on getting published again, but on an adult plain. It really just depends on the publisher. First, find one that you think you're book would fit well, but only after you have written the book and edited it. Don't worry about publishing until you get that done. Savvy? Then, you find publishers which fit your book, don't make your book fit them because that's just writing for someone other than youself and writing should first and foremost ONLY be for yourself.
Book is done minus pictures did you have your own illustrator or did you do it your self or left it up to the publisher? Also did you just mail it to the company or how does that work? And to whom do you address it to?
The book didn't have any pictures. It is 85 pages long and for kids 9/13 years of age. First off, it depends on the publisher, they will tell you whether or not they want it mailed in or e-mailed. Most are now doing e-mail and I e-mailed my submission. You follow their submission guidlines for the book. They'll give you a time as to when they'll get back to you, give or take, a month or two, if I remember correctly, but it has been a while since I have published anything, but good writing doesn't happen in a snap of the fingers.
@irishidid (8734)
Bad bad bad!!! PA is trash. Stay away from them. Good lord Swash! Do your homework next time. The information is out there, find it! No, I'm not cutting you any slack here. You did a bad thing. The internet is full of proof they are nothing but a scam.
Have a look at George's Tumblemoose.com - he even has a section on children's writing and is currently posting about getting published. Very nice chap, too.
I will take a look too. Thanks for the tip! :)
Will do thanks.
@Jezebella (1446)
I researched a lot of different publishers in my area or near pittsburgh: like Cleveland new york etc. I think what you should do is research children's book publishers and see which ones have what you want and submit your book to them with a cover letter and a small sample. Pick up Writer's Market or Children's Stories Market (I think there is one) they help with publishers and magazines that help.
When you send a transcript in do you only send a piece of it? Also who do you put it to attention to?
@irishidid (8734)
Here's a good place to start. http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/
Interesting... I will be going back when I have a little more time and a lot more peace and quite so I can really explore. Thank You.