Are you Religious or Spiritual?

Did Jesus want us to be religious or spiritual? what is the difference between a religious and a spiritual person? There are different views about religion and spirituality. i would like to know what is the essence of spirituality. Do we actually attain wisdom, when we become spiritual. i would like to experience it. if you know the difference and had an experience already.. please share with me.. thank you
@jellymonty (2358)
Religion has got nothing to do with God! Religion is a system of rules that was put in place by some group of wackos who wanted to manipulate and divert the purposes of God. Being religious is following a protocol that was not ordained by God but by man. Being spiritual is following the principles and commandments that were set up by God. So to answer your question, I'm very spiritual and absolutely don't belong to any religion as its a complete waste of time. I have a personal relationship with God and follow whatever he says so since God is Spirit so that makes me spiritual
Kudos! An excellent response and I agree with you 100%
wow, that is a great response. so in order to become spiritual one should be religious? or they can be both? i m asking this because, some people are so religious the way the talk, preach etc. but says they are spiritual, and the holy ghost works on them? and speak in tongues? i do not see any good nature in them as in they are greedy, selfish, short tempered, stingy.. but when such see people who enjoys worldly things like watching movies, etc, they call them sinners. so, i don't understand how they claim themselves spiritual. i m confused. pls explain. thanks
@sjvenden27 (1850)
Here is my interpretation between religion and being spiritual... I believe a person that is religious believes in the word of God.. now they may find this information out from the bible, church, and/or other people.. From what they learn they practice what they were taught.. No one is perfect, but has their heart and mind in the right place... Someone that is spiritual is in tuned with their own personal spirit, some others call it the holy ghost, and there are some other names for it... Spiritual is harder to understand and except by any person... The main issue that blocks many people from being connected is truth.. Willing to accept things that can not be changed, willing to accept responsibility of one's actions, without blame.. "This person made me do it, or that person makes me so anger.." In reality the feelings you have are a choice... Yes the situation at hand make seem like you have to feel a certain way or do a certain thing.. But that is not true.. I believe God gave us the greatest gift, freedom of choice in all things great or small.. From our choices we have to accept the positive and negative results.. Einstein said "For every action there is a reaction". Granted he was talking about science.. But the same is true with life as a hole... If you choice not to pay a bill and the next week your water gets shut off... that is a consequence to your action.. Yes most do not want to live without water, but choosing not to pay the bill ends in a negative result... On the other hand; you are in a check out lane, and the person in from of you is short a little bit.. the person is digging in all of their pocket trying to find the missing money.. And you look in your pocket and find what that person needs; give it to the check out person... instantly that person will have a smile or a siy of relief... That is a positive outcome from your choice.. I am both religious and spiritual... I hope this clears up some of your questions
if i understand you right, religious is just believing what others have taught us. and spiritual is what comes from within. i agree with you. that spiritual is hard to understand by everyone. i believe that one who longs to attain spirituality could become spiritual. thanks for your response :)
Your welcome.. and yes that is the what I was trying to say just in a lot more words
I am most definately spiritual. Following in an except from a very interesting article: Religion involves emotions and externals while spirituality involves the whole being. Religion tends to tell people to react to their emotions and express them visibly. In today's world, there is an emphasis on wearing things that express our convictions and doing things that are ruled by our emotions. Preachers who can move people emotionally are looked up to, and religious services with great amounts of tears, emotional outbursts, and spirited responses are deemed to be the best. There are many problems with such approaches to God. One is that these services tend to produce huge peaks and valleys. A person is motivated to make a response by a capable preacher; and when the person is away from the positive reinforcement, they tend to crash. Another problem is that because the person is reacting emotionally to being in the service, their mind is not functioning on what is being taught. People like Jim Jones in Guyana, Marshall Applewaite in California, or David Koresh in Waco were able to get people to do incredible things which they certainly would not have done if they were not emotionally distracted. Spirituality involves one's total self in his/her relationship to God. The Christians in 2 Corinthians 8:3-6 were identified by Paul as being of special spiritual nature because they gave themselves to God. The picture we get of church in the first century is not of entertaining preachers in fancy buildings, but people meeting together regularly in homes--sharing their burdens and needs and supporting one another in the challenges of everyday life. When we look at the teaching of Jesus and the apostles, we see very little appeal to emotions. Jesus used parables which required His listeners to think and reason. Much of His teaching was to have His subject state an understanding and then He would elaborate on it. http://www.doesgodexist.org/JulAug02/DontBeReligiousBeSpiritual.html
MY favorite part in the Bible are the parables. Some people go to church and follow some group of religious people because they get emotional and tear when the preachers pray and preach. so it means those people are religious. So does spirituality mean not reacting to emotions. or can someone be both religious and spiritual? if you don't mind, could you tell me how a religious and spiritual person would react when he is in serious trouble? He puts all his burden upon God, He prays, goes to church, he does everything that a religious person would do? i just want to know the differentiation between a religious and spiritual person reacting to some serious problem in his or her life. thanks for the response :)