Children and Education

@lelin1123 (15644)
Puerto Rico
Seriously at what age do you think a child should start school? I did not go to kindergarden and I never felt that I missed out on anything. So what about you what are your thoughts on this.
@anniefannie (1743)
lot dependes on the child its self.both of my kids went to kindergarden and i think it helped them,they were at a day care and knew things that they taught in school already so they were ready.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
Yes I agree it depends on the child individually. Some are ready earlier than others. I just think to young is just to much for some kids. Some kids are going to school at 3 years of age if not younger and that is just crazy to me. Thank you for responding.
yes 3 is to early i was thinking 5 years but some day cares are like school where my grandaughter went.
@pengbubu (1015)
I also didn't go to the kindergarden and go straight to study grade one when I was five years old, I am very young that time because lots of children in my age go to school at seven years old or even more. (It's the old days of China, now it's different) I think It also has advantages like I am always younger than my classmates, even in my college.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
Yes 5 years old is young to go too school but it also depends on the maturity of the child and what they can handle. Thank you for your response.
@maximax8 (28559)
In my home country children are able to start school at 4 years old. They must begin it by 5 years old. They can go to a play school at 3 years old which does much playing. I am a primary school teacher. The children that go there are 4 to 11 years old. The boys are no ready for learning at 4 years old because they wish to play. Girls are more interested in learning early reading and writing skills at that sort of age. In some other countries school begins at 7 years old. By the time the children are 11 years old they are better educated than most children of that age in my home country. Therefore I think school should begin at 7 years old. Then both boys and girls will be ready to learn. They could play in the years before then.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
I agree with you because I think early structure schooling is way to much for children who are 3 and 4 years of age. I believe 6 and 7 is a better age for starting school. My granddaughter is 3 and quite smart for her age. I have been teaching her things very early but its not structured. When I'm teaching her a certain subject and she starts getting tired I will not push it because its just not going to penatrate when they don't want to do the work anymore. Thank you for responding.
@savypat (20246)
Each child is different. I put my youngest in pre-school at the age of four, she had an older brother and sister in school and was so unhappy that she couldn't also go. This gave her new friends and introduced her to new subject to learn.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
Yes that is different when a child really wants to go especially because her older sister and brother are going. Its a bit harder when you are an only child I think. The separation of mother to child can be difficult if its a very young age. Thank you so much for responding.
@kevchua (1004)
Well, I'm going to be frank with you. As long as children are ready, there's no minimum age to start school, and even without going to kindergarten, children are still able to cope and do well in school. However, we have to take into consideration the needs of the parents and also the children themselves. I remember once about 20 years ago (yeah, that was a long time), I was a part time computer teacher, and I had a 4-year-old student in my class learning computer applications like Turtle LOGO (a type of programming language) and simple typing. Is that too young? For me, it probably is, but not for her parents. Anyway, she was alright in class though a bit slow. I guess her parents needed her to be computer-literate and be ahead of others because 20 years ago, computer literacy was still new in my country :) Ask ourselves these questions: Are our children ready to go to school? Or do we send them to school just because we need someone to babysit them while we're at work? We should also look at the education policy of your country. What does it say about compulsory education? Is there a certain minimum age to start formal education? Cheers :)
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
I understand,thank you for your thoughts I appreciate the time you gave to this response.
@tomjoad (551)
AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. why? let me explain. first, i believe that education does not come from only the school. and second, a school is not confined only in the four walls of a room. school is a place of learning. you might ask, "what the heck is this guy talking about?" well, i'm taking about education being started at home. :-) the first teachers of the infant are his parents. he gets educated about life and relationships by them. the first school that a child attends to is the home. in this place he is nurtured, loved, cared, and taught the basics about life. so as you can see, even if a child doesn't go to an actual school he already has been educated in his formal years. that's why you were able to say, "i did not go to kindergarten and never felt that i missed out on anything." the reason why you never missed out on anything is because (this is just a guess) your parents provided you with the education that you needed in your developmental years. so it is very important that a child learns much at home, rather than outside of the home. i know my answer might sound very rhetorical but i hope you understand what i'm trying to say.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
Yes I understand fully what you are trying to say. I started teaching my granddaughter very early and now she is 3 years old and quite smart for her age. She has been learning things that I don't even think is covered in kindergarten. However I feel children 3 and 4 is a little early for structured schooling. Thank you so much for your response.
children shld start their kinter garden at the time of 4 or 5. Here in india it is 4. And at the time of 6 0r seven they are admitted to first grade. thye shluld be given more care as they way of study is being descided at that time. so help them to realize that it is not a hardship
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
Yes I just think it is hard on some kids to leave their parents so young. Thank you for responding.
@busky5 (3166)
• Thailand
If the government doesn't force the children must learn the kindergarden.I think it doesn't need to learn, but for me when my son was young, he was hyper active i wanted him fast go to scholl.