Pedestrian Rage

So today I am waiting to cross the road at a pedestrian crossing and when the green man came on I started to cross the road. Now I walk with a stick and am not a fast walker but before I finished crossing the road the car waiting at the lights pulled off narrowly missing me. The annoying thing is that when I did get across I checked the lights not only did I still have the right away but the waiting cars were being shown flashing amber, which here in the UK means prepare to move away – NOT move away. This is not the first time this has happened to me, in fact this happens quite regularly, and on other occasions I have been clipped by the cars wing mirror in their haste to get away. Personally, as someone who did drive I feel that drivers should have to re-sit an exam every 10 years as it seems that most drivers forget the basic rules of the road after driving for a while.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi friend, sorry to hear this happened to you, people need to take more care on pedestrian crossings. I suggest also that you do not try crossing the road over here in a busy town. Actually thinking about it in our local town which is huge I can only think of two pedestrian crossings, on opposite sides of a large intersection. Otherwise you just have to take pot luck on crossing the road or wait for a driver to wave you across. There are some zebra crossings but no one takes any use of them. In the same town there is a very busy main road which runs parrallel to the sea. On one side of the road are the tavernas and on the opposite side the seating areas. The poor waiters have to cross this very busy road with trays of drinks and food risking their lives as they try to juggle between cars.
I remember a few years back when I was in Italy crossing the roads there was pretty much as you describe. It makes me thankful that although in the UK a lot of drivers are ignorant of the rules we do have a reasonable system for providing pedestrians with a means to cross in "safety".
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
See my friend, there's a bright side to everything, I've now made you realise things aren't as bad as you thought.
@katsmeow1213 (28845)
Sorry to hear that! I rarely walk anymore, but I can understand your frustrations. I remember whenever I did have to walk, or even when I'm just crossing a parking lot, I do get quite irritated with the drivers, especially in inclimate weather. In 90 degree weather the drivers in the cars have air conditioning, and you're dripping sweat just walking from the car to the store... do you think they stop and let you cross in front of them? Of course not! Rain, sleet, snow, they always want to go first and make the pedestrians wait for them even though they're warm/cool/dry and we're sweating/freezing/soaking... you get the idea!
I would say that These incidents happen as the people have become reckless while driving.