Best states to live in and where are you from?

Whats the best and cheapest state to live in and where are you from? A state with low crime rate is hard to find these days. Every one wants to live in a state where jobs are booming where its affordable and safe for your children. Where do you think that is?
@schulzie (4064)
I live in Florida and I can tell you that the unemployment rate here is one of the highest in the country. The housing prices were relatively inexpensive around 10 years ago and then rose but now they are going back down again due to the current recession here in this country. We don't pay state income tax and the sales tax rate where I live is 6% and only on non-food items. Once the job market improves here then I think it would be ideal to be here. I am not sure about the other states other than California. I grew up there and moved from there 11 years ago. I paid state income tax there and housing prices were very high. I think it is one of the most expensive states to live in now. Have a great day and happy myLotting!!!
@greenline (14864)
All the States are very nice in their own unique ways. If I would have the choice, and if I have the means, I would choose Hawaii. That's one of my ideal places, peaceful, environmentally friendly, beautiful weather, many nice beaches and places to relax.
I live in Massachusetts, also known as Taxachusetts. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone - has the highest tax rate in the country. No jobs...rents and home sales are sky high. Cold and snowy winters that last 6 months out of the year, it seems. In the area where I live, we have gone from a small town, to a bedroom city, with an explosion of condo builiding during the last 15 -20 years, that now caters to the big city dwellers from Boston...those that work in Boston, and come to our city, just to sleep in it. Our town was once known as the plastic city, but half of the industry has now closed, and the only source of employment it seems, is in retail, which is certainly not affordable to pay for the roof over your head. While many people think our town is a nice looking one, and crime rate is very low, you can't afford to work and live here. So those who do come, have to be prepared to comute to work because that will be the only way you can afford it.
I absolutely love living in Virginia but the state is so diverse in just itself that you have to really think about where you want to live. I live smack in between the state capital (Richmond) and Washington DC so there are a ton of government jobs available as well as I don't have to force the Northern VA prices and environment since I'm just a little south of it all. Also if you're looking for a beach town or that Southern small town feel we have it as well you just need to look at another place for it. But economy wise yes we have the same difficulty pulling as much money needed for education but we have a really great education program and also we have some great in-state colleges that provide a ton of scholarships and assistance. But for me I tell people Virginia is the best place to live weather wise. You're going to have a summer and you're going to have a winter but neither are going to be extreme. Also you will rarely face a tornado and once in awhile a hurricane but its going to feel like a continuously bad thunderstorm. And when it comes to earthquakes they are small ones that you hear on the news and never felt. Its a safe place.
I was born and raised in Guelph Ontario Canada. I still live here. I did live in Arizona for a while, when my husband had a job down there. He's American and has lived all over the states, but I've only ever lived in Sedona Arizona, when it comes to living in US States.