The North and the Midlands

@nannacroc (4049)
Why is it that on the way back from Norfolk the signs on the motorway started by saying 'The North', then, when we got just past Peterborough, I think, the signs said 'The Midlands'. As the Midlands comes before the north why are the signs for the north first? Do the north and the midlands change places? Does the north cease to exist for a while? This has confused me hope you can help.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
It's a way of saying "There be Dragons", the signs for the Midlands. The wild heartland of England where highway men still ply their trade and from every gibbet hangs the blackened remains of a ne'er do well. North and South are safe places, that's why Nanna. Come south and enjoy the sunshine and righteous living.
@nannacroc (4049)
Thank you, Mr Fish. I'm not allowed to go too far south, my dragon gets upset. I think you'll find it was the south that started the highway man malarkey and we've only just reached that stage.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
"Stand and Deliver" Nanna. Didn't D ick Turpin end up being hanged in York?
@RieRie (822)
Well it's only up to a certain point where the signs say Midlands, because people might get confused, they want to go to The North, so if they see signs for the Midlands earlier, they might think they're closer than they are to the North, so you only get Midlands signs, when you are round about the middle, so as not to get peoples hopes up that they're half way to the North when they're not. Perhaps.
@RieRie (822)
Oh actually, it could be that only so many councils in charge of road signs know where the Midlands is and the rest are confused, so just use signs for The North.
@nannacroc (4049)
I think the second part of your answer is probably the right one.
@gabs8513 (48803)
I think it is because not everyone would know their Geography as such lol But I really do not know as I notice this to when I travel up North, but for me that is good lol as I know that I am heading the right way
@nannacroc (4049)
Thanks, gabs. My geography is hopeless, I only knew we were going north because the signs said we were.
@pumpkinjam (5697)
I believe it is because the signs are less specific further away. From "the South" you will firstly get the general sign "the North" and then, as you reach the Midlands region, you will find signs telling you that you are in "The Midlands" but then, once you have exited the Midlands, you will see more signs for "The North". It's basically, I think, because Midlands is the same North as "The North" but then you need to know where you are exactly. You might, for example, get signs pointing towards a major city before a town even though the town is closer, it's just because it would be silly to put every single place that happens to be in that direction on the signs but then you would get the town direction once you reach the city which it is near.