Do you know exactly how the Proposed Health-care Bill Affects You?

I wanted to know exactly what is on the proposed Health Care Bill but could not dig through all the legalese of the actual bill. I found this easy to understand article. I do think the nation needs health care reform but after reading the article I feel that it needs many changes before being passed. What parts do you disagree with? A look at the House Democrats' health bill WHO'S COVERED: Around 94 percent of non-elderly residents (those not covered by Medicare, which kicks in at age 65) would be covered -- compared with 81 percent today. Nearly half of the 17 million non-elderly residents who remain uninsured would be illegal immigrants. COST: About $1.5 trillion over 10 years. HOW IT'S PAID FOR: Revenue-raisers include: $544 billion from a new income tax surcharge on single people making $280,000 a year and households making $350,000 and above; $37 billion in other tax adjustments. About $500 billion in cuts to Medicare and Medicaid. About $200 billion from penalties paid by individuals and employers who don't obtain coverage. REQUIREMENTS FOR INDIVIDUALS: Individuals must have insurance, enforced through tax penalty with hardship waivers. The penalty is 2.5 percent of income. REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYERS: Employers must provide insurance to their employees or pay a penalty of 8 percent of payroll. Companies with payroll under $250,000 annually are exempt. SUBSIDIES: Individuals and families with annual income up to 400 percent of poverty level ($88,000 for a family of four) would get sliding-scale subsidies to help them buy coverage. The subsidies would begin in 2013. HOW YOU CHOOSE YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE: Through a new Health Insurance Exchange open to individuals and, initially, small employers; it could be expanded to large employers over time. States could opt to operate their own exchanges in place of the national exchange if they follow federal rules. BENEFIT PACKAGE: A committee would recommend an "essential benefits package" including preventive services, mental health services, oral heath and vision for children; out-of pocket costs would be capped. The new benefit package would be the basic benefit package offered in the exchange and over time would become the minimum quality standard for employer plans. Insurers wouldn't be able to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions. GOVERNMENT-RUN PLAN: A new public plan available through the insurance exchanges would be set up and run by the secretary of Health and Human Services. On average it would pay Medicare rates plus 5 percent to doctors. CHANGES TO MEDICAID: The federal-state insurance program for the poor would be expanded starting in 2013 to cover all non-elderly individuals with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level ($14,404). http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourhealth/policy/articles/a_look_at_the_house_democrats_health_bill.html?CMP=KNC-360I-GOOGLE-BULL&HBX_OU=50&HBX_PK=health_care_bill
@Lakota12 (42681)
I have read what one women said about this bill and she probably is the only one that read all 1,000 pages of this bill and she didnt like it at all and I sure dont. Specially where it came to the part where seniors every 5 years have to be consuled on how to DIE!?
@Lakota12 (42681)
oh and we already pay monthly for the medicare and midicaid from out SS checks like $100 a month
If you are only paying $100 a month for medicare and medicaid then you are lucky. My taxes for medicare and medicaid are much higher than that.
@bziebarth (228)
Your article glances over so many things in this bill. Here are some of the points, most people do not want to know about. Benefits testing before medical procedures. This bill includes a system that would look at past medical and family history BEFORE you can get a procedures done under the government health insurance. If it is decided that you will not get enough benefit from the procedure, for the cost, then you will not get it. By the way, you have no say in the process. Forced government health plan. If you lose your health insurance, say you change jobs, it will not matter if your new job offers health insurance. You will be forced to go onto the government plan. This is a move to push everyone into the government plan. End of life counseling. Elderly citizens will have to receive counseling on how to die. These are just three points of this bill. However, do you see a pattern here? This bill would push everyone into government health plans. Once you are there, the government will be able to decide which procedures you receive. Don't receive the procedure that adds to your quality of life? Don't worry, the government will then counsel you on how to die. I am not a conspiracy theorist. It does not take a rocket scientist to see the pattern here.
@Lakota12 (42681)
No it doesnt thats why I sign all potitions against it!
BRAVO! You see all the same terrifying points I see. Like Lakota I have also sign all available petitions against it. I am all for Healthcare reform but NOT the way Obama wants!
@bziebarth (228)
I also have read the complete bill. I have started a series of posts on my blog that will go through the bill, cite the section, then provide either questions or potential applications. You might be interested it is at http://government.brucesmoneyrants.com. This bill will personally affect me. I do not receive my health care from my employer they do not offer it. Before, you get up in arms and say that I should love this bill. I like my job. It is my choice to stay at a job that does not provide insurance. In return, I purchase my insurance. I pay $80.00 per month for health insurance. I am 31 years old. This is not a group policy and I am rated higher because of medications and I am a smoker. I say all that to prove that insurance can be affordable. This bill will grandfather in my current plan. However, all plans are required to meet federal guidelines in five years. Meaning that in five years, my plan will cease to exist. All private health insurance will be required to compete with the public option. Meaning that private insurance could be done away with by simply making it too costly to compete. No, our government would never do that! This is just a couple of the ways this bill would affect me.
Thank you so much for the link. I just glanced at it and found it very interesting so I am going to read it all later when I have more time. Again thank you.