Baby shower

@Trace86 (5033)
I have been invited to a baby shower this Saturday but cannot attend since I have to work. The couple that the shower is for are kids that I have worked with closely for about 5 years. I feel like they are my little brother and sister. My question is how much do I give them for a gift? And do I give them cash or a gift card for a store at which they are registered?
@drannhh (15240)
If it were me I would consider a savings bond for the little one, because those increment in value and by the time the baby is grown, they can be worth something as well as creating an educational experience. A little known fact is that in the case of an infant you can use your own social security number, but it will be masked on the document itself. A $50 savings bond costs $25, I believe and earns interest, but some are also adjusted for inflation, which is very cool.
Twenty dollars unless you are having money problems. If you are, then I say ten would be fine. If you're finanically in a crunch, they would totally understand, even if you got them nothing.
Oh, and I say gift card.
@Trace86 (5033)
Thank you all for your input! I went for the 25$ gift card for Target's Club Baby.
@prinzcy (5058)
It would be if you buy them gift instead of giving gift card. Gift has deeper meaning and it show you care more. I bought my sister a baby car seat for her baby shower. It can be use for years and not for their other babies too (I think there's more to come ) Diapers would be nice too. My mom give a baby bedding set, complete with pillows. She's good at sewing so she sew them herself.
Since she can't attend, I think that is why she wants to opt for the money or gift card. One can send a card with money or a gift certificate without much trouble, whereas not being able to attend, would make it harder to get the gift to them. That's what I do when I can't attend a shower. I send a gift card in a letter to them.
@CRSunrise (2964)
You could give them both, or one or the other. Anything given to the new parents would be much appreciated. I know when I was pregnant, I definitely appreciated diapers and the such. Too bad you couldn't predict how many diapers you were going to need for a particular child. Then you could go, buy the sizes as needed, and that was that. lol