Cash for destroying a brand new Volvo? Are you NUTS?

@diamania (7037)
Netherlands
I am flabbergasted, bewildered, name it and I am it... I'll explain: In america you get money when you exchange your car for a new one. In order to ensure the car can't be resold a special fluid is put in the car's tank which disables the engine. Volvo's however are very strong so you won't disable the engine easily. But that's not the point. The point is, why wreck a car when you might as well just put it for sale and make somebody else happy with it, rather than completely disabling a car? Is it me or is this completely crazy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Frrader1&feature=player_profilepage see how a volvo gets clunked for cash... tskkk tskk... What do you think, should this be forbidden?
I don't think you should forbid something, but in the next 100 years a lot of cars will probably be rare and more valuable since we are destroying them now haha. Where is the car waste going anyway? There would still be parts of this car floating around in landfills I am sure, not doing much for the environment anyway. There are some positives and some negatives to this cash for clunkers thing, but man, it is kind of sad to see some of these amazing cars just being destroyed for $4500, that volvo was probably worth a bit more than that, doh. I love Swedish engineering as well.
@thyst07 (2091)
I also think that the cash for clunkers program is outright absurd. Supposedly, it's supposed to help the environment by encouraging people to get newer, more fuel-efficient cars. But what about destroying all these old cars? Where do they go? Do they get recycled? Probably not. They probably end up mostly in landfills. I think that at the very least they could donate them to charity or families in need.
@tdemex (3547)
It's a great idea!