Do you like to eat"Bitter Gourd" the vegetable known for its bitterness

I am sure a lot of people will hate this vegetable which looks like a small crocodile and tastes awfully bitter. There are some people who love to have it, in spite of its bitterness. Many people who suffer from diabetes consume this vegetable unwillingly in different forms like juice, salads etc.It tastes good when fried or roasted well like chips or wafer with chilly and salt added to it. I have it once in a while. Have you ever tasted this vegetable? Do you like having this occasionally or regularly? In which form do you consume this vegetable
@daliaj (5689)
When I was kid I used to hate bitter gourd. I used to make a big issue whenever my mom cooked it. My mom cooks it once in a while because it is full of iron and other minerals which are essential for our body. I started liking bitter gourd three years ago. I love bitte guard in any other form other than 'poriya' - bitter gourd coconut mix. I love bitter gourd tamrind mix - 'pulikulambu. I think bitter gourd dishes in Tamilnadu is far better than bitter gourd dishes of Kerala. It might be one reason I started loving it.
@glesil_00 (1147)
I eat vegetables and bitter gourd is one of that in the list. Its bitterness is just fine for me as it is beneficial for us. It can help in diabetic people and if you get used of its taste, you will like it.
@agv0419 (3029)
I love eating bitter gourd it is called ampalaya here in the Philippines. It is good in lowering your sugar actually it is been approved to consider a medicine for diabetes. Our lunch is sauteed bitter gourd with egg and I love eating it together with fish. When I was a kid my mother always introduced it to us to all of my siblings and I eat it. To lessen the bitterness of it my mother squeeze the bitter gourd together with salt others to don't mix bitter gourd to often when they cooked it. In my opinion the health benefits of it might be loss if you going to squeeze it with salt. I like when my mother put some squid balls or fish balls to the sauteed bitter gourd and I like it also when she put some Meaty pangisa mix. I like it also when my mother put it in Paksiw or ginataan.
Most of the kids hate this vegetable and some parents force their children to eat it, and yes a number of south indian dishes are cooked with bitter gourd without much bitter taste and are very tasteful too. thanks for your response good luck and good day
@chi2nasrin (1102)
I hate bitter gourd. My mum likes to eat this kind of vegetable back home but I never touch it since I tasted its bitterness. Some people believe it is good for health, I am not sure good for which disease. So, at all cost, I stay away from bitter gourd. Hihi..
Thanks for your response, why not try eating it once, maybe you will start liking it.Have a good day and good luck to you.
Yes, I tried it before and never touched it since that. No, thank you! Hihi....
@silverglint (2001)
We grew up eating bitter gourd, eventually you get used to the taste and kind of like it hehehe We usually stir fry it with eggs. They say its good for the blood so my parents make it a point to serve it once in a while. I am also trying to make my kids learn how to eat them too. If you want to reduce the bitterness, you can wash it with salty water. They say the salt counters the bitterness, although, I think the nutrition is in the bitterness of the vegetable
Yes a good suggestion when washed or soaked in salt water its bitterness is reduced to some extent, thanks for your response have a good day.
@jaiho2009 (39001)
Hello friend, Lot of people don't like this veggie i guess,but would you believe that my youngest son love this vegetable? Actually,we had this veggie for his dinner tonight,he suggested me to cook bittergourd with egg.He likes it that way,bittergourd omelet.
I like to eat bitter gourd. Even if it is bitter, i was taught that it is good for health. So from a very young age, i learned to eat veggies, so I don' have any worries about eating that bitter veggie. The only one I cannot make to eat that is my hubby. He never like that veggie when he was a small kiddo, so till now, it will never be a miracle for me to see him eat that veggie. I like it when i saute it with egg. Then put some salt, black pepper, some soy and i also include tofu. Bon appetit!
I don't mind eating this bitter gourd onece in a while. I like most of the vegetables and have no aversion to this vegetable. Like you have said it can be made with different variants according to once choice. We add it to sambhar a south indian dish in which you never feel the bitterness of the vegetable. Happy mylotting.
@radx682 (327)
I like this vegetable a lot...it is a medicine for diabetic people, and generally very good for all....I like to eat bittergourd chips as it is tasty...bitterness is also a different taste...I like it...I generally like foods that are good for health...I literally cannot avoid or ignore it.
@divkris (1163)
Bitter gourd is not an "in" thing for me because my mom generally forces me to have it and tells me weird tales of how it is good for health. No no no no ... This veggie is not my mom's favorite and i'm sure my grandmom would have used the same trick of telling her how it is good for health - We make a gravy dish caled sambar that is to be consumed with rice and we generally add this "little crocodile" in it.
I used to hate eat bitter food.I thought that life was bitter,why shoud i eat bitter gourd?Yet nowadays, more and more people lay emphasis on heailth.Although dessert has spoiled my appetite, I can't help eating some bitter food.Because I want to eat healthier and have a pain-free life.A a result,I won't have diabetes or weight problems.Bitter food help us maintain healthy.Indeed,It has nutrition,so I think I will have them regularly.
It's not that i really like eating bitter gourd but I do eat them sometimes. However, i've always believe that they can cause high blood pressure that can lead to hypertension. So better control your appetite for that. But it's good for those who have blood problems.
@skysuccess (8881)
yogambal_64, You may want to make soup out of it if you are mindful of the bitterness. Just taking the soup boiled with pork ribs and scrambled eggs is just as beneficial for health. Besides, you can drink the soup without touching the ingredients. Or you can buy bitter gourd tea as an alternative. It is very fragrant and tasty. Most of all equally beneficial. Hope you will like this tip.