Why Do People Blast Pounding Music From Their Vehicles?

Isn't the world noisy enough? I'm sitting here in my apartment, 10PM on a Monday, and all of a sudden, this ear-splitting, chest-pounding THUMPING, and from here it sounds like the vehicle with the loud music is stopped at the light about a block up, and I'm down here in the basement getting blasted right into the next county. WHY, WHY, WHY do people DO THAT???? Is anyone reading this one of the noise blasters? Let's also hear from your point of view. Why blast music so loud, without a care in the world about what those outside of your vehicle think of the noise?
• Marion, Kansas
I am not one of those noise blasters, and I really do not like it when I can be upstairs in my bedroom, and still feel the music as the cars go past. Perhaps that is part of the attraction to those who do it, though. They want to feel the music pounding in their whole body. I do not want to ruin my hearing, though.
we have some jerk who drives through the street at 1:30/2 am pretty much every morning..and speeds while he's doing it. i have no idea why some do it..they probably do know they're being annoying.
@coolcoder (2022)
It's the same where I live, too...the same time in the morning. More than likely, being annoying is how they get their thrills. They're just sad, sad people.
@theprogamer (10543)
Same reason for much of anything else, especially when it comes to cars. Attention. Expression is another reason. I think it can be obnoxious, especially when its done late at night. Nothing like waking up to the sound of craptacular bass booming at 3 in the morning, am-I-rite? -_-
I do blast music sometimes but it's because I love that song & want to drown out me singing loud to it - so no one hears my awful voice...I try to do it when it's only me in the car & not my 2 year old daughter too.
I don't like that either. There is a young boy that drives up and down our road that does that almost every night at 11 or 12 pm. I have a small child in my home and when he does that sometimes it will wake my child up at that time of night. And he will also rev up his engine so his car sounds really loud. What is the point in that? One night I think he was just being rude and he was going down the road honking his horn at about every other house. I told one of our neighbors that I wish the police would say something to him and she told me the police have and he just doesn't care. It makes me so mad though. Just wait until he has kids of his own and someone does that to him...then he will see.
@polachicago (19143)
They have special trunk speakers, so the whole world can hear their choices...mostly ugly choices for me...I am glad that my town made it illegal, so people get ticket for....
@saundyl (9698)
It drove me nuts when i lived in the city that people did that. In the country off the highway you dont hear it near as much. I'm not one that blasts music. I dont get why someone would want to blast their eardrums out and honestly the people that drive around with thumping music like that tend to not be playing music thats any good in my opinion.
@arkaf61 (10891)
ANd that is the question! - a question for which I have no answer since I could only think that they're deaf which is not the case LOL Mostly it's young people, and I think that they want to be noticed and "cool". They don't even think about the other people and often have no idea of how the loud sound affects people around their darn car. It's the adults that do that, that puzzle - and bother - me more. They're not kids anymore, they should know better.
@coolcoder (2022)
I hate this! Oh, I can't tell you how much I hate this! Every weekend, and sometimes on weekdays, some clown rides down my neighborhood with their stereo blasting, often at two o'clock in the morning. I wish someone would start enforcing noise laws, because there have to be some floating around out there.
@Mirita (2668)
Well, my two sons do that all the time everytime they are in the car with me whether they are the ones driving or not ,and I always tell them to turn off the music because is too loud. I'm really trying my best for them to understand that we have to have consideration for others. I live in the country ,so is okay to make noise if we are by ourselves.
@mermaidivy (15417)
It is an interesting topic! I always wonder why people like to do that a lot too, I remember there was one time, it was around 10ppm also, a car parked cross the street and was playing music really loud and pounding... it was very annoying as we were watching TV and stuff... and they look like a punk kid or something so we didn't stand up and say anything to avoid extra troules... I wonder if they think it is fun? it looks cool? I don't know, I think playing music when driving is relaxing but not like super loud...
@zandi458 (27954)
It happens here everyday. They are no doubt music lovers but blasting their car stereo is only disturbing the peace of other people. I think they get the thrill of listening loud music while driving and some may be just showing off to attract others attention to their flashy cars. Normally the drivers are young guys who are daredevils driving at high speed with the music in full blast.
@jshekhar (1563)
Hello friend, This problem is very common here in New Delhi as well. People just wanna show off their latest music system. It is a display of their foolishness, nothing more. In some areas government has started fining people for this but still, it has not been able to prevent this totally.I would never do such a thing because I am not an attention seeker and I know how pissed off one can become after hearing something like that..
@ZephyrSun (7387)
I hate that as well. It really stinks when I'm sleeping at night and one drives by. I'm also curious if you have any blasters response to see what they have to say about making everyone listen to their music. I also want to know how they have their music up that loud when they are at the drive thru, do you think they have any idea how rude that is?
Hmmmm....I am absolutely guilty of that one. And yes the world is noisy enough, but I would rather drown them out with my own choice noise rather than have to listen to their junk. It's a battle of the fittest!! LOL Although, I blast tasteful music-you won't see me blaring garbage rap or stupid sounding pop tunes, but you will catch me blaring the best of Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, and or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club!! (If you don't know them-check them out if you like indie/folk/rock music!!)
@mzz663 (2776)
I listen to music loud when I drive sometimes, it depends on my mood and what I'm listening to. I don't have a really loud system in my car so I don't drive by to where you can feel your windows shake or feel the vibrations of my speakers. I'm not sure why some listen to their stereos so loud that you could hear it from outside into your basement, but I'm sure in a few years they'll be listening to their music alot louder (if at all) because they can't hear it at a normal level because of hearing loss.
@patgalca (13962)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Not to mention the damage they are doing to their own hearing when they are sitting inside one of those loud vehicles. My husband will blast his car radio when he is washing the vehicle in the driveway. I always come out and tell him to turn it down, that the whole neighbourhood doesn't necessarily want to listen to his music. I don't like it when others do it, makes me even angrier when my husband does it. People like different styles of music; there is no need to subject others to it. If someone were blasting Mozart I wouldn't like it either. If they blasted music I DO like, I still wouldn't like it. You never know when people are working shift work and are sleeping during the day. This also pertains to my other pet peeves - barking dogs and lawn mowers.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I wish I knew that myself. it drives me crazy to hear a stereo blasting late at night or after 10 pm. Espically that late at night. So loud that it rattles my windows. I also hate the neighbors that have there stereos up that late at night.
Hey there! I really hate it when people play really really loud music at night. I think those people are really insensitive and stupid or slightly deaf. Here in the Philippines, I have walked by and drove by people in their cars with really loud music. I think that they think it's cool to do that. Well let me tell you, it's not. It's just annoying.
I have never understood this, even when i was younger and used to practicly live in my car and enjoy listening to my music, i coudln't stand to have it that loud. For one, it would give me a headache after a bit, and for two,i think it impairs driving ability, as when noise it that loud, it becomes harder to concentrate on the road i would think. This reminds me of a funny anecdote from when i was a small child, probably about three or four years old. My father is a police officer, and we always had noise ordinences in our town, you could get pulled over if your car stereo was too loud and get a fine for it! Well, evn when my dad wasn't on duty, he was still a cop. If someone would drive past our home with their music blaring, he had no qualms about stepping to the side of the road and yelling at them loudly to "Turn that music the "bleep" down!" (even though they probably coudln't hear him over the music, it made him feel better i suppose) Well, one day my family was at the mall. My mother and i had headed outside to wait for my father to finish makign a purchase, as i was getting impatient with waiting in line. We were sitting in this little park with benches that the mall had outside its main entrance when someone drove by with their music blasting and windows down. I got up (a little 3-4 year old girl with her cute blond hair wearing a sundress) and took a step toward the road, and imitating my father yelled at the top of my lugs for them to "Turn that music the *bleep* down!"..my mother proptly grabbed me, turned 20 shades of red, apologized to the people around us and took me to the car, then gave my father the dickens for not watching his language aruond me when he got out there!!