A degree in peace and conflict studies

@Canellita (12058)
While I applaud the desire to study, practice and/or perpetuate the concept of peace throughout the world it occurs to me how commercialized college education is and that it seems to get worse everyday. Education is no longer a mere scholarly pursuit of the priveleged class. What kind of job is this person going to secure with a degree in peace and conflict studies? And how many positions in a field that would hire someone with this degree are there in the world? Scholarship is fantastic but gainful employment is essential. What are your thoughts?
@mommaj (22894)
Not too many people look at what the degree is in, as long as they have a college degree they get the job. I have noticed this is starting to not be the case as often as it once was. People with degrees sometimes don't get the job if the degree is in a different field and someone else has a degree close to what they are looking for for employment.
@Canellita (12058)
That's fine for people applying to work at a bank or some corporation or wherever where skills are transferable. When you have a degree in Elizabethan poetry where can you go to get the money to pay off those expensive college loans?
@mommaj (22894)
I'm not sure any business pays enough to warrant a college degree. LOL If they do, they are looking for something specific with a specific college education.
@Canellita (12058)
There are plenty of professions where having one earns you more than not having one just as there are several that won't even hire you without one.
@PeacefulWmn9 (10424)
Hello Canellita. I would think someone with a degree in peace and conflict studies might need to have a way to become an ambassador! I doubt that is easy. And yes, employment is essential. If I wanted to study peace and conflicts, I would first go for a degree in something far more usuable. Karen
@Canellita (12058)
Karen, that is exactly what I was thinking. Diplomacy or some kind of government job or a negotiator would seem the only options unless you worked for a nonprofit that did conflict resolution. It seems to me that this is the sort of thing you go back and study after you are already working.
Thank you for the best response honor :)
@Canellita (12058)
You're welcome!
@dolphin2406 (1227)
• Poland
hi, while I agree with the other comments submitted here, I know some people who have taken a degree that will not lead you to a specific job and for me it's useless and still cannot understand why the waste of time for something there is not a job. There was someone who did Theology, mostly this is studied by priests but the others will either end up teaching or the person I know is still working as a secretary.
@Canellita (12058)
Exactly! This is the type of degree for someone who is getting a scholarly education and not worried about a job. It is the choice of a privileged person.
@scheng1 (24741)
Hi Canellita, i think we have to consider the subjects as well. If the subjects are more of miltary related or international in nature, that particular degree will be very useful in civil service. I think the graduates can consider working in military or CIA. The graduates may even become journalists or TV anchors specializing in reporting world conflict. Sometimes the name of a degree is very misleading.
@Canellita (12058)
This particular degree would be useful in diplomacy but little else other than teaching. An additional degree would be required.
There are so many examples in this world which tell us that only education cannot be relied upon solely. There are people who had never completed their education and yet are the richest and the most respected in the society today. And there are people with high scholastic records who are unemployed and finding it difficult to make their ends meet. Schools today are teaching the students only to score more marks in their exams and thereby bring their school's name in the forefront of the education arena. What the students are not taught is the basic skills of life which they require to live a rich and healthy life. Many graduates find it difficult to get a descent job and struggle hard while those with just the basic education and with some people skills prosper in their life.
@Canellita (12058)
This is so true! It is truly an unfortunate situation.