calling all crafter

@Trensue (5253)
So I have been given the challenge of trying to round up more articles in the craft section of Helium. The goal is over 200 articles in that section of Helium for the month of August and I need all the help I can get. There are a large number of empty titles in the other section of crafts (68) the last time I counted. So there is potential to earn the $1 empty title bonus. So please let me know what you think.
@mrtimharry (1180)
You have it easier than mine. I have European culture so no money incentive to write to any topics, plus when I do suggest titles they end up getting moved to other areas
I noticed that one of the articles in the category I just wrote to was about "working from home" and not "how to sell handmade jewelry" so I wonder if that person was a victim of the title splitting or title moving...as you rightly complain about?
Not particularly worried about it being moved as if I do end up writing to it at least I will get upfront payment, rather than if it had been left in Society and Culture. Just makes it harder to attract new writers to the channel
@Canellita (12058)
When I went to the my helium section yesterday I noticed in the "these channels need your articles" section they were asking for people to submit to channels that don't pay upfronts. I could see if they paid less but to not pay at all is not going mean people will spend all their time posting to the channels that do pay upfronts since everyone is trying to make money at writing.
@AnythngArt (3304)
Ok, I wrote my first ever (!) craft article for Helium today: http://www.helium.com/items/1542464-how-to-sell-jewelry-online-or-at-shows I saw the topic on the front page, and said to myself, hey I know something about that because my sister is a crafter who sells handmade jewelry. She also sells photography. Her latest craft obsession is making things out of maps. She has an online store with Etsy, too. I have been one of the salespeople who works craft shows with her, too. So now that I have my feet wet, so to speak, what's next, Trensue? If you have any articles on crafts up there, let me know, and I will go over and give them a read. Thanks for calling attention to the crafts writing!
@Canellita (12058)
What kinds of crafts do you do yourself?
Most of what I do relates to sewing, but I like to paint (watercolor and acrylics) and I've done needlework and decoupage. I used to enter the county fair with my sewing projects and some holiday crafts, but the past couple of years I've slacked off. The only thing that I've sold as a craft is cat toys that I made (sewed), but I have given plenty of gifts I've made myself (like bathrobes). Do you do crafts too? What sort?
@Canellita (12058)
Any and everything! I teach wearable art and other crafts part time at a charter school and make my own stuff. There is an empty title for a table runner in the crafts subchannel that I think has your name on it :-)
@AnythngArt (3304)
It's interesting: I do crafts all the time, but I have never written an article about crafts. It's just not even a topic I consider when I sit down to write an article. I would have to see what the titles are like and read a few to see if I even could. This is new territory for me. I'll have to go over and check it out at Helium. Hmmm.
@Canellita (12058)
I have done a bunch of them and they have been very good for my writing score, that is until I decided to enter the contests! I went from three writing stars to two!!!!! Now I have to churn out a bunch of craft articles to empty titles to try and pull it back up. If you decide to do craft articles look for the ones that are older and still empty because you are not likely to have a competing article posted for those.
Yes, the contests can really throw a loop in anything you try and do, but if you succeed in winning, the rewards are sweet. Last month I won and contest and made $60 but the emotional roller coaster getting there was something else! Good luck to you!
@Canellita (12058)
That is the channel where I am earning most of my money so don't worry I will have you up to 200 in a matter of weeks, lol! Actually it may take me a couple of months by I will definitely get more added in the coming weeks. I posted one this morning and I'll work on some more tomorrow.
It's very easy to make hand painted eggs, like the beautiful Russian Easter eggs. You simply poke a whole into each end of the egg, drain the yoke either by blowing through the smaller whole allowing the yoke to run out of the larger whole (or the quick method which involves a syringe form ink refill kit, you just suck the yolk out using the syringe). Once the yolk is gone you can paint the eggs, decoupage the egg, really whatever you want. It easy and kids would enjoy it.