Gossips: What are the consequences?

@kevchua (1004)
Malaysia
We hear gossips all the time, and some of us indulge in it regularly. I believe that gossiping is a way of socialising when someone is free. These are generally harmless pastimes, but overdoing it may lead to issues. It might cause misunderstandings and it might cause one to lose his/her best friend. Have you ever been badly affected by gossips? How do you go about it?
@cwong77 (2011)
Yes, I am a victim! I recently started a discussion on this matter! when a gossip went away too far, it jeopardise the relationship.. and sometimes, people tend to use our story to share, and to gain the 'popularity'! I hope ppl just stop gossiping, and if needed, find out the answers! The one and only gossips I do, is the politics!
@kevchua (1004)
Sorry didn't notice your discussion. Anyway, gossipping talking to people about people - it could be true or make-believe just to sensationalize things. If it's untrue, then that gossip is going to cause lots of problems like what you've faced. Me...I used to gossip about politics too, but lately I've kinda mellowed a lot. I'm tired, I'm fed up because I don't know what to believe any more. Sad, man.
@zoey7879 (3104)
When I was in high school, someone had once started a nasty rumor that my dad molested me... Due to state laws, the teacher who overheard the rumor had to report the incident to CPS. So.. CPS came to my house to investigate my father and my family as a whole, and we were monitored for about 30 days. And what did I do.. probably the wrong thing, I was young and dumb what can I say?... I tried to beat the hell out of the boy who started the rumor. I always packed my books for the day around in a backpack.. ALL of my textbooks... And I just came up to him blindside and "drove my point home".. straight in the head and face. He whooped me pretty good, but everyone even the teacher knew what'd happened and no one got into trouble. The schools I went to from 8th grade on were flooded with this kind of malicious gossip. Asides from a couple of other "outsiders", I kept no friends so needless to say that crap happened alot. That and another physical incidient aside where I was struck first, I always outwitted them, smiled, and/or just laughed. They all thought I was crazy anyway, might as well give em sommat to believe in xD
@jugsjugs (13045)
There are alot of people who love to make alot of peoples lives a misery and they love to see people upset to the point as in they do not want to go out in case there are any other people talking about them.I have been badly affected by all the gossips and what makes it worse is if the people are real friends of yours that you have trusted in the past.
There can be horrible consequences form gossip, you can literally destroy a relationship. You can lose friends, make your family angry at you, humiliate someone. I just don't think gossiping about others is worth the consequences, i don't want to hurt someone like that.