How safe is skin piercing really?

United Kingdom
How safe are piercings really? I mean all sorts. I can recall a close friend complaining about mild infections to her ear(s) adding that when all's said and done a piercing's an unhealed wound; or something like that; is there real danger here that is not commonly talked about? Ears are precious things. Another person close to me used to leave her rings or studs out for long periods, and then wear them again after weeks perhaps months; safe? How safe are piercings of vital membranes? I'd be terrified...as I would a brow piercing, which is so close to the eye: I've seen poor folks with bruised-looking and swollen brows from fresh brow piercings. OK, I'm getting on and much more cautious: back in '78 I allowed a friend to re-open a freshly healed ear piercing with a safety pin after having dipped it in her drink: I'd never do that today. Seriously guys and girls...for all those thinking of getting their tongues, noses, brows...and while we're at it even ears...pierced...at what point can and does it become dangerous?
@twoey68 (13651)
I think with any piercing you run some risks. I had my ears pierced the first time and it was a nightmare. They got infected, the skin grew over the backs of the earrings and they had to be cut out. The second time I was older and they went fine...I still have them. The third time again didn't work out...they were constantly getting infected. I know have just the one set of ear piercings and the others have closed up over the years. These days you see ppl getting just about everything pierced and some places are highly likely to get infected. Ppl need to really think it over before doing and make sure that they go to a respectable place to have it done to keep from getting any diseases. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS**[/b]
@sagnik42 (3598)
All that I know about piercing is when my little sister pierced her ears.She shouted and cried a lot,poor girl and I was a little mad at the doctor..Well once it was over she did not have any problems.She has not had any infections or such from piercing.
@stephcjh (32327)
I know that all kinds of piercing can be dangerous, no matter how much or where it is pierced. You have to make sure to use clean needles for one. You also need to make sure not to pierce a vital part of the body also.
The American Red Cross will not let you donate blood for a year after a piercing, anywhere. I do not know about tattoos. Since they have this restriction it must be an indicator of the chance of a serious infection like Hepatitis B. I have one set of holes in my ears that are useable, and a set that is mostly closed up. I have not been able to reopen. I have mixed feelings about them, especially since I am getting older and since I really like to donate blood as often as possible.