How to start running?

I would like to run for exercise, in fact when I used to go to the gym a couple of years ago I loved using the treadmills. But now I am out of shape and when I try to run I get out of breath easily so I can't go very far. I usually run a little while then walk, then run some more, etc. But I can't go any further than a quarter mile without going down to a walk. I don't have any medical problems, and I am only 29, and not overwieght either. I think it is all in my mind. Is there any hope for getting better? My goal is being able to run 2-3 miles without stopping. Do you think this run/walk thing will work so eventually the run segments will be longer and longer and the walk segments shorter? Is there a better approach? Thanks.
First, you must take it easy and jog. Don't push yourself that easily, because to run 2-3 miles without stopping, you have to be in pretty good running shape. If you try and just blast your goal right now, your heart would not be good because you are pushing beyond your limits. If you jog and once you get comfortable with jogging for maybe 2-3 miles, then you can slowly pick up your pace and run a little faster, and faster, and faster. But make sure your diet is good and you drin ka lot of water with lots of rest. Well, I hope you have some valid information from me and good luck with your goal of running a few miles!
I guess I get discouraged because I can't do the whole thing at once. I know I am not in good enough shape to run for 2-3 miles without stopping, but I wish I would progress faster. I guess my piano teacher was right when she always used to tell me that I was too impatient!
@kykidd (6824)
When I seen the beginning of this discussion, I was going to suggest exactly what you are doing. But it appears that you are already doing it. Another thing you might consider is running at a slower pace. When I was young, I used to run the 2 mile fun run races. I would always prepare myself for the races, by running 3 and 1/2 miles. One way is to jog slowly, without using your arms. Just let your arms hang down. Breath in your nose, and out your mouth. A slow pace at first, and then when you get to the end of your run, push as hard as you can. Jogging slowly, can sometimes be less tiresome than walking briskly. Hope this is helpful.
I think I have to work on pacing myself. It's hard to keep to a slow jog. But I hope my endurance builds up fast so I can go faster.
@x_Jo_x (1042)
Start jogging a very short distance quite slow. Then build it up by jogging the same distance a bit faster or jogging a longer distance the same speed. Eventually your body will get used to it and you will start to feel more competent to do more!
I think I'll try to add to the distance before I add to the speed. I probably could push myself to go faster if the distance didn't seem so long.
You should try jogging slowly and build up little by little each day. If you can, jog about 50% speed and the the next day go a little faster and faster. Your body will adapt to the change in about a week or so of jogging. When you think your ready try running. I am in track and field so I do this regularly to train my long distance and speed. I hope you find this useful!
At least its encouraging that eventually I'll be able to faster for a longer distance. I've been working on it every other day for a week, and so far I haven't noticed much improvement, but I think I should try to push myself a little harder.
@Weho12 (76)
A strong mind can push your self more further to gain the up most best results.Have confidence and eat healthy, if you eat healthy then you can get more distance with healthy foods
@Pigglies (9340)
So how is running going? I would advise running with a group. I started running and was walking/running like you. But with the group I would time myself for that quarter mile, then see the improvement keep coming. And then eventually, after 6 weeks with the group I was able to run my first 5K, without stopping once. I just ran another 5K and got a bit faster. And I'm hoping to do a 10K before the year is over.