Blu-Ray DVD Players

@erikmama (12929)
Do you own a blu-ray? Is it worth the extra money?
@maryihla (104)
We have a Sony Blu-Ray player, and I hate it. It takes a full minute to start up, another minute to open so you can put in the disc. Then you sit and wait for the info to load, sometimes through three or four different loading graphics. Sometimes I get so frustrated I want to rip the thing out and drag out our old DVD player. We've had to bring the thing back to Best Buy twice to update it. Seems that since it's a Sony, it won't connect to our Macs to update. Blu-Ray discs are supposed to have fewer problems with skipping, stopping, etc., but we have problems with just about every disc from Netflix unless we wipe them down with window cleaner. I don't see much different between the Blu-Ray discs and regular DVDs -- at least not enough to justify all the aggravation.
I own a playstation 3. To be honest its not actually worth the money yet. There are still DVDs being made and most film is streamed over the internet now.
@phyrre (2324)
I don't have a blu-ray player myself, but, to be honest, I can't really tell much of a difference between blu-ray and dvd unless they're displayed side-by-side and even then it's really only a slight difference to me. Certainly not enough to go out and spend all sorts of extra money on. Also, I've been told that the only real reason to get blu-ray is if you have a large screen HDTV because then it might look better than dvd, but otherwise it's basically the same. I'm not sure how true that is since I've never had a blu-ray player, but my large tv cost more than enough and everything looks good on it as is, so we don't really feel the need to go out and spend extra money for it, especially since we don't own a DVD player, we just play DVDs off our computer.