Do you think I Fell off the Turnip Wagon yesterday???!!

@bunnybon7 (37461)
Holiday, Florida
this is an old saying my dad used to use when someone thought he'd be dumb enough to believe an outright "made up" story. i had occassion to use it this morning myself. my son in law that owes me a considerable amount of money tried to tell me hes been working out of town and didnt get a chance to send the money. Its getting to where when he owes me a payment he has some excuse not to send it on time. then by the time he sends it hes managed to skip a payment. i think im going to have to take him to court. i know for a fact that he went to the races last weekend.he never misses the races(Nascar that is) and hes told me the same things over for excuses that cant possibley happen many times in a short period if you know what i mean. have you ever regreted loaning a family member money? have you ever gotten really mad that someone thinks your dumb enough to believe an outright lie?
@CatsandDogs (13964)
It might do you some good if you talk to your daughter about it first before taking her husband to court. She may be able to get the money that you seek or might be able to get her husband to pay you on time. There again, maybe not but it's certainly worth a try.
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
nope. no way. shes going through a bitter divorce from him and his with holding paying on time is just part of his aggravation.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Oh! In that case, take his no count lazy azz to court right now before he disappears with your money like my ex husband did!! He borrowed one thousand dollars from my parents while in Va and then left for Ny never to send one red cent! I had to pay my parents back although they didn't want the money from me but I feel this way, I married the sob, if it weren't for that, they wouldn't have lent him the money to begin with. Take his ugly butt to court! The sooner the better!
@dragon54u (31637)
I found out long ago that when I loan someone money, I'm giving it away. If I can't afford to give it away, I tell them no. I've never loaned to family but I've borrowed from family and I pay every cent back and than some. You won't get your money back. Is alienating your daughter worth taking him to court? Think carefully before you do that!
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
no hon, im not alienating daughter because they are getting a divorce and she knows hes an a$$ and had already told him many times he needed to make his payments to mom.
@dragon54u (31637)
Oh, I'm sorry she has to go through that! He certainly should pay you back. I hope everything turns out for the best and your daughter has a great life.
And as long as he thinks he can get away with he will. TAKE THE DINT TO COURT!! Then make a pact with yourself not to loan out money anymore. I would be seithing mad! Knowing he went out to Nascar instead of being responsible. This is bull caw caw pure and simple. Regarding bad guys on tv. my mom used to say that they otta be taken out and skinned with a dull knife. Get where I am going with this??!! Maybe I am alittle dramatic but hey, you deserve to be better treated. Take him to court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
ty,celtic. you are a good friend. wish i could have asked you first i should have asked my son here also first. but maybe thats why sil thinks im stupid because i did loan it and should've had better sense.
Well, life is an adventure. Learning is the process we all take on. It is only when we don't learn from our mistakes that there is a problem. Stay firm and don't do it again. Hugs friend.
@catdla1 (6005)
Another good saying is, "I was born at night, but it wasn't last night." From the sounds of it, you can use as many of these types of sayings as you can get, since the problem seems to be ongoing. I haven't (thankfully) had problems with loaning money to family, but I've lost a few friends because of it. It's certainly not a fun position to be in. Do you have anything in writing from when you made the loan? If you do, that will help if you have to go to court. If you don't have anything in writing, tell him that if he's going to be late(or miss a payment) to drop you an email to let you know. The KEEP the email. That's proof that there is a loan to be repaid. Better yet, send him an email asking if it would help him if you sent an email reminder a week before the payment is due. His responce is also proof. Hopefully he will get on track because even if you take the court route, and win a judgement, there's unfortunately still no guarantee that you'll get paid.
@catdla1 (6005)
Getting it through the income tax would be a slow way of getting it. With a court order, you could probably get an attachment to his paycheck and get paid with a seperate check whenever he does. You also might want to consider a lien on his property, if he owns a home.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
HEY BON, Sounds like u have got yourself in a mess w/sil. Isn't that a tacky way to do u. I have been in the same place u are right now w/s family member & it's very irrataing when they do u that way. It has been a long time ago & i swore i would never do that again. I do not like being taken adnvantage of by anyone. He is taking advantage of you for sure, very, very tacky of him. Some folks u just can't be nice to . I didn't really have it to lend at the time but he knew i had gotten my income tax back. I didn't need or want to but it's hard to say no sometimes. I hope u get him on the right track. He's being very unfair to u.GOOD LUCK.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
he's just being an a$$. Hope u can get it worked out w/out hard feelings between u & your daughter.
@dlr297 (5418)
The saying that i usually use is.....I was born in the morning, but not this morning...Means the same. Are you sure that taking a family member to court is the right answer, think about your daughter because it will more than likely cause hard feelings between you and her, and do you have grandchildren that will be affected by doing this. Family members are some of the worst to lend money to, if i lend someone money and they do not pay it back, then when they ask again i just say NO.
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
the thing is they are getting a divorce and when i loaned the money i was living with them. he signed papers and she was not included.i thought he was ok at the time. he had me fooled.
@dlr297 (5418)
Then i think that if you are not going to cause problems for your daughter, and he did sign papers, then you should take him to court.and try to recover some of your money. In my first response i was just thinking about you and your daughter having hard felling's because of it.
@katsmeow1213 (29044)
My mom used to say "I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night" I've never been in a position to loan anyone money, but my child support payments come even less frequently than your son in law's payments. Hope you can find a way to settle it with him!
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
i think we are just to nice. some of us. i used to have the same problem with my child support. i should have seen it was going to be a pattern.
@anniefannie (1743)
yes i have regreatted loaning money to family member i have not got it back either and never will and i hven't even heard of an excuse but i have heard you should never loan family money just go and give it to them.maybe you will get your money back some time
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
i usually do just give them if its a small sum i can afford. I've gotten to where i tell my kids i hate that word LOAN. cause they never give it back. why dont they just say give. loans gotten to be such a habit they seem to believe it. dont they know the meaning of the word loan?
Hi bunnybon7, I have never lend any money to any of my family members, if thy need money and if I got it I will just give it to them but this is your son-in-law and you were good enought to lend him the money, I think he is playing you for a mug and its disgusting the way some people behave. A friend told me she was going to this concert and wanted someone to go with her, so I said I would and give her the money for the ticket, she got the ticket but later told me she was taking her brother with her, but she failed to give my money back and that was tow years ago, i know I will never see the money so that was a bitter lesson I have learnt, never to give money before you received the goods. Tamara
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
well not only will i never loan money to anyone like that again, but i no longer have it to loan i sure learned a lesson with this one. im sure if hubby had been alive i'd have never done it.
@jdyrj777 (6556)
Yes. And believe it or not i still call him my friend. Although sometimes i do not know why. Some times i just let his words go in one ear and out the other because it all sounds like lies.
@bunnybon7 (37461)
• Holiday, Florida
i know and it just makes you mad to think someone would believe your that dumb