Lockerbie bomber release imminent

@benhilo (871)
Tripoli, Libya
The BBC reports today that the Lockerbie bomber release imminent. Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi, who is suffering from terminal prostate cancer, has been serving his jail sentence at Greenock Prison. The Libyan had launched an appeal against his conviction for the murder of 270 people when Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie in 1988. Although his release is reported to be imminent other sources say his release is only "complete speculation". Do you remember the bombing? Do you think he should be released?
@thea09 (18324)
• Greece
Hi benhilo, i liked your topic on the news media so came to have a around in some of your others, and what do I find but an event I'd just mentioned in your previous discsussion. Your view of this imminent and how happened event was surely formed by the mass media as skepticism of the government line has always been around in the UK where many believed that Libyia was implicated as a way to avoid the more likely truth of probalbly either Iran or Syria being involved. By releasing Megrahi governments avoided total embarrassment as a term of his release was to give up the appeal to clear his name, which legal experts have stated would most certainly have happened as Megrahi was framed. The man was not released because he was dying but to stop the appeal going ahead, whereas in all conscience if they were releasing him on compassionate grounds they could still have allowed the appeal to go ahead. I believe that the American public were pretty much brainwashed with the government line on this one. And I do think he should have been released.
@benhilo (871)
• Tripoli, Libya
Hey thea09! Thanks for responding. I was not aware of the facts behind this case. But it all make sense now. They needed to placate Iran not Lybia. You got the brainwashing part down!
@thea09 (18324)
• Greece
Thanks for the best response benhilo, I'll try and have a look at a few more of your discussions when I get chance as I noticed a few with very low responses so maybe I can revive a few for you.
I don't remember the incident- I was still very young, but recently I wanted a program on the National Geographic/or Discovery Channel about this incident... it's just so horrible and heartbreaking. He should not be released.. his life isn't worth the lives of the 270 people he killed. Let him suffer in prison and die. He deserves no mercy.
@benhilo (871)
• Tripoli, Libya
Yeah, 270 vs. 1. Like you said "(h)e deserves no mercy".