And Now For the Psychadelic 60's

This decade was far before my time, but I am absolutely intrigued by the cultural movements, the music, and the styles of such a timeless decade. What are your favorite cultural memories from the 60's? Great people, musical influences, tv shows, movies, whatever brings back the memories! I am a huge fan of the Woodstock festival, and can sit and watch all the great musicians perform. I loved the styles of the furniture, and in fact, am redecorating my house for the late 60's/early to mid- 70's look. I have records on my living room wall-The Association, The Byrds, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mamas and the Papas, and the Beach Boys. And I collect vintage dishes.
@tdemex (3547)
Wish I could help ya! I graduated in 1965 and don't remember much until 1977 when I came down! tdemex
Haha a classic hippie you are?
@webearn99 (1743)
Those were heady days, The Beatles, Elvis, Rock and Roll, Vietnam War, Crusade against draft dodgers, Hippy culture, Martin Luther King and so many other things. Every thing either was black or white. You had Staid conformists or you had rebel non-conformists. Nothing in between. I was in pre-teens so did not see action like tdemex but remember those times vividly.
@mipen2006 (5528)
Ahhh, now you're talking princess, the sixties were great. Elvis, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, johnny Cash, The Beatles, The Mamas and Papas, and from my city, Melbourne, The Seekers. I spent ten months in 1966 travelling, and one thing I'll never forget is listening to my friend's radio and hearing The Seekers sing The Carnival is Over, while we were writing postcards home. It was around eleven at night, and we were sitting outside, in the land of the midnight sun. The sixties were special. The only damper for me wes getting married in 1969. However, a great era.
I am definitely fascinated with the 60's. I bought a huge entertainment center from a thrift sotre that has a huge turn table in the sliding cabinets on the bottom. (To go along with my fashion savviness of the 60's.) The music was by far the best infulence of the 60's for media purposes. The Beatles, yes, changing from the Mop Tops to the long hair and wild clothes. I love the film "I am the Walrus." Good, crazy stuff.
@mipen2006 (5528)
I really feel though not enough credit is given to the fifties, when most what we had in the sixties kicked off. I was born in 1940, so went through my teen years in the fifties. Thankfully without a lot of the presures today's teens face.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I loved a number of TV shows from the 1960's. The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and classic Star Trek. I like the post war style furniture and houses, but I honestly can't find an example to link you to them. But the big open windows with interesting angles and simple lines on the furniture and houses.
@cyrus123 (6383)
I was a teenager of the '60s and I know just what you're talking about! I liked and still like all of the music from back then. I like The Beatles, The Doors, and all of those other groups that you mentioned plus some others. I didn't think Lynyrd Skynryd came along until the '70s, though. I remember Woodstock, too. In fact, I have a patch on my denim jacket that says "Woodstock" on it and it has a guitar handle on it. I didn't go to Woodstock, though, and I'm glad I didn't now. Like you, I like watching the performances, though. I mainly got the patch because I like guitars. I'm a musician, myself, btw. I sing, play the guitar, piano, and the harmonica. Kathy.
Yes, Lynyrd Skynurd was early 70's. (I just have their recordon my wall.) How can you be glad you didn't go to Woodstock?? I so wished I could have been there. I am listening to Crosby, Stills, and Nash's song "Woodstock" right now as we speak. (My favorite by them, by the way.) Woodstock was only their 2nd live performance. I love harmonica music! So bluesy, so folk, so southern. Love it love it love it.