What do you do with your earring when you lost the other half?

It stinks when you lose the other half of your good pair of earrings! So what do you do you with the "one" lonely earring? It's a shame to just throw them away. I've taken them apart to make a new piece of jewelry (like a necklace charm), but I don't have much time to do that anymore.
Thats a good idea, i ussally keep them and wait to see if i find the other one. Some people mix and match earings depending what they look like. I have never done that though.
I have a 3rd piercing (well, one on one ear, and two on the other). So I might put a small one on the extra piercing . . . and then it wouldn't matter if I had a full pair or not. That's my way of mix and match . . . but other earrings don't work that way so I can't. Yah, I still have a whole pile waiting for their partners to return home!!
@Bhebelen14 (5206)
I usually keep the last piece and buy a new one. Also I dont throw any jewelry because I have a friend who can melt it and make a new one as per my own design.
That's neat you have a friend who can craft a new piece of jewelry for you! I can put together pieces, but I've never actually melted (like gold or silver, I assume?) to create a whole new design.
@Mayuko (1271)
I've never lost any earrings and I hope I never do. With my dangle earrings, I like to wear them with the rubber backing on it so it won't fall out of my ear accidentally. If I did lose one, I'd probably keep the other half just in case I happen to find it somewhere. I don't think I would take it apart. Mostly because I don't make my own jewelry, so I wouldn't know how to make it into a necklace. And also because the earrings that I have probably wouldn't look that great as a charm.
Wow - that's pretty amazing you're never lost any earrings! I don't lose them while wearing them . . . most of the time it's when I take them off and I just leave them somewhere . . . and one somehow walks away - ha ha. Yes, I've always kept the other one - you never know when it can pop up - and sometimes it does, even after a million years, but other times it must have gone to no man's land. Back in the days when I wore more jewelry, I had some huge funky earrings that could easily be made into other pieces, but the stud ones like I have now - yah, those wouldn't really make good charms either.
I keep them first, to see if the other one turns up and secondly, to remind me everyday that I have lost already several and have to pay attention not to lose another.
Hee hee . . . I kept mine for years. Did your earring ever turn up? I think mine never did. So I had a whole batch of onesie earrings that reminded me that the batch was growing - hee hee.
@Jill22 (265)
Just keep it at my jewelry box.
I kept my half earrings in my jewelry box for the longest time too, but then it just sat there and took up space.
i definately keep it around for quite a while, as you never know when the other half will turn up! I don't know how many times i have gotten rid of one half of a pair of something (anything..earings..socks..whatever) because i thought i had totally lost the other, only to have it show up shortly after i threw the other away! With earing though, it depends on the type. If it is a small stud type earring or a small hoop, i put it into another compartment of my jewelry box and use it to wear in the cartilage piercing i have in one of my ears. If it is a bigger, more decorative earring i will try to find some other use for it as you described, attatch it to a necklace for an entirely new piece of jewelry...se it as a pretty broach or pin on a sweater...attatch it to a headband and wear it in my hair. Other than that, i don't really know. It is had real gold, or real gems in it, i would probably see if it was worth anything before throwing it out, or in the case of gold set it aside with any other old jewelry items and maybe try that cash4gold type thing.
That is true, sometimes the other half does show up and you just have to kick yourself for throwing the other part out! I don't have cartilage piercings, but I do have a second piercing on one ear - and I have used studs / hoops for that. But some of the earrings don't look right as a second earring. That's a great idea to put on a headband - never thought of that!
I just keep it in my jewelry box. Who knows, maybe I could find its partner in the future but even if I don't, it's still pretty to look at even if I can't wear it
I kept it for a long time, too, but then I was left with a bunch of jewelry that just sat there taking up room. I guess they're hard to just throw out because they are so pretty!
I usually would throw them away. I didn't buy expensive earring, just the ones from Claire's so it wasn't a big deal. But now I wear the diamonds my husband gave me and if I lost one I'd have to go buy anther to replace it. :( I hope I don't loose one anytime soon.
I wouldn't want to lose any real diamonds either! There are many pairs (or once were pairs) that were cheapies but I just loved them for what they were . . . it's ashame half the pair was lost!
That's a good idea! I usually just threw them away when I'd lose one half of the pair..Back when I used to wear earrings that is. Now-I RARELY wear earrings; mainly because I'm such a klutz and end up losing them.
Ha ha!! Sometimes I just can't wear earings because I DID lose the other half!