He talks to the tv but it never responds lol

My friend talks to all kinds of people on the tv, especially when watching a lively sports game, but of course, they never respond lol. Heck, I have even found myself doing this same thing, especially during a highly charged movie or drama, like warning someone to run from the predator, etc, lol! Do you or anyone you know ever "talk" to the TV or someone on it as though it could hear and respond? In what instances?
@kitty42 (3912)
Personally I don't like it at all when people do it, every now again telling someone run, or screaming I guess we all do that, but talking through the show like my niece does, she loves to tell you what is going to happen, I hate that, I tell her if you say anything you can't watch it , you know its driving her nuts not to talk, then she will say something eventually to my grandson lol, its funny the things we do or don't do that annoy us. I don't watch sports but I can see it happening with a game, thats a like a part of watching sports, if you sit there quiet watching a game I would think that will be boring, thats why guys like to get together and watch so they can yell at the t.v
Ack! I also do not like a running commentary or a plot spoiler. I have a couple of people who do that. I love them dearly, but it is hard to watch a movie or television show with them LOL. And yes, getting into the sports as though you were there in person, well that is hard NOT to do...a very natural thing. Karen
@kitty42 (3912)
Hi my friend, Yes for sports only, I love to just sit and watch a movie by myself, I watched this movie called mirrors the other day, it was really good, have you seen it? I need to see it again, I caught the middle the first time I watched, second time I only watched the beginning, next time I need to sit and watch the whole thing lol
Hi Kitty. I haven't seen Mirrors, but the previews look good. So, next time, just in case, watch the ending first lol. xoxo Karen
@dpk262006 (56105)
Hi Karen! Alas! It could be possible that we could talk to TV characters as and when we wish. I know that it is not possible because a TV is not like a video telephone. Even the live programmes shown on TV, where you can talk to the persons sitting in the TV studios are not live, you cannot come acroos to them despite best efforts. BTW, I've never tried to talk to anyone on TV, because I know it will not materialise..........LOL!
LOL, with the ways of mankinds ingenuity and the advances of technology, perhaps someday, they'll have "interactive TV" and we really COULD talk to it...and someone would respond lol. Probably not this year though lol. Karen
@dpk262006 (56105)
Yes, you are right Karen, with advancement in technology, perhaps someday, we will be able to acquire "interactive TV" which could talk to us and listen to us..........LOL! We cannot assume how much time will it take.........LOL!
LOL, wouldn't that be a "hoot??"
@doryvien (2293)
Hi Karen, I'm one of those who's emotions are easily affected by the shows I watch on TV. I get annoyed at celebrities who can't give a straight answer to a simple question - I sometimes get very critical of them and I verbalize my disgust as if the one on TV can actually hear me. I sympathize and even cry when a girl/woman is being bullied by a guy/man, then I find myself scolding the underdog for being so stupid, and telling her what she should have done. My niece usually tells me, hey auntie, the actress is just following the script, so don't get too emotional
Hi Dory...that is cute, about your niece. But like you, I also sympathize or scold or cry or warn characters in a plot. I think that is a sign of a good show or movie...so well scripted that one feels they are right there! Have a great day. Karen
@doryvien (2293)
Hey Karen,Thanks for the BR. Much appreciated.
You're welcome! I enjoyed your response. Karen
Hello my friend PeacefulWmn9 Ji, In my case, I consider such items in day to day life as my entertainment boxes, after making use of them, I never give any weightage to them, as they simply consume my time. Thier job wa sover, after I got refreshed, why to do research work on that. I have lot many others important issues to take care of in my life. I am dis-appointing you, my Friend. Excuse me. May God bless You and have a great time.
Hello to you my friend. No, you are not disappointing me at all :) We all have our own opinions and preferences, and those should be respected by others! I hope you're having a lovely weekend! Here in the US, we are celebrating Labor Day, so most workers have a long weekend...3 days off work. Karen
Hello my friend PeacefulWmn9 Ji, So nice of you. I bring out something about history of labour day and would request you if spirit is same for celebration for labour day, for the causes it was born . Here it is. http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/laborday.htm [b] "The History of Labor Day For other Labor Day information, visit our Labor Day 2009 page. Labor Day: How it Came About; What it Means Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country. Founder of Labor Day More than 100 years after the first Labor Day observance, there is still some doubt as to who first proposed the holiday for workers. Some records show that Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and a cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, was first in suggesting a day to honor those "who from rude nature have delved and carved all the grandeur we behold." But Peter McGuire's place in Labor Day history has not gone unchallenged. Many believe that Matthew Maguire, a machinist, not Peter McGuire, founded the holiday. Recent research seems to support the contention that Matthew Maguire, later the secretary of Local 344 of the International Association of Machinists in Paterson, N.J., proposed the holiday in 1882 while serving as secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York. What is clear is that the Central Labor Union adopted a Labor Day proposal and appointed a committee to plan a demonstration and picnic. The First Labor Day The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City, in accordance with the plans of the Central Labor Union. The Central Labor Union held its second Labor Day holiday just a year later, on September 5, 1883. In 1884 the first Monday in September was selected as the holiday, as originally proposed, and the Central Labor Union urged similar organizations in other cities to follow the example of New York and celebrate a "workingmen's holiday" on that date. The idea spread with the growth of labor organizations, and in 1885 Labor Day was celebrated in many industrial centers of the country. "[/b] May God bless You and have a great time.
@savypat (20247)
Hubby talks to the TV and even when I am three rooms away expects me to be listening and to add to his comments. Weird
Weird, yes Pat, but common enought. My partner can be talking away at the TV and if I leave the room, he'll say: did you see that?? Well, of course I didn't lol. Have a nice evening. Karen
@uicbear (1903)
My dad used to do this all the time, especially during sporting events. Actually the angriest my dad ever got with me was during an occasion, during my teen years, when I was in another room in the house and I could hear him cursing at defense of our city's professional football team. he was ranting for a couple solid minutes, when finally I said, "Dad, if you yell just a bit louder they might be able to hear you." Needless to say, me dad was not a fan of my humor that day.
Hi Uicbear. Isn't it odd how our parents seldom appreciate out young wittiness? LOL. Oh, people do get involved in the sports, though, as though they were right there in the stands lol. Have a great day, and thank you for your response. Karen
@Elixiress (3893)
No, I don't talk to the TV. I have a bad habit of talking to someone while watching a show about specific parts of the show. My Dad shouts at the TV during horse racing and gives a full analytical commentary on the football. It is annoying, which is why I think that I do not do it.
Hi Elixiress. Sports seem to bring out that commentary habit in many, as if one more commentator was really needed lol. As for discussing a show in progress, I think that just comes naturally to many of us. Happy viewing... Karen
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
I have been known to do that myself especially when bush was president but can't tell u waht i said , it's x-rated, lol. It's mostly people on the news that i talk to. u hear so much bad stuff i have to comment sometimes. will have to admit the dog looks at me like i am crazy.
LOL, I think many of us said plenty of X-rated things to that man when he was on television!! So, the poor dog doesn't get it? Put on a "dog show" someday, and then he'll bark at them and know how you feel LOL. Karen
@wolfie34 (26816)
Guilty as charged! I do this a lot, although I am not a great tv watcher I do find that I get irritated a lot by stupid people acting stupid, I don't suffer fools gladly and neither do I like arrogant people with attitude and especially if it's a quiz show and they get all cocky and boastful I shout at the television, or I will laugh if they have got the question wrong, usually I will shout out 'Serves you right' I don't tend to swear much, as usually I am not alone when watching tv. I think the only time I don't talk to the television is when I am watching my favourite soap, but then I do criticize the storyline or the acting to my family rather than directing my comments at the tv. Wouldn't you get a shock if one day the television spoke back LOL!
Hi Wolfie. I think many of us "talk" to the tv or the goofy people on it at times. And yes! I would be completely surprised if the thing someday talked back to me lol. Enjoy your evening. Karen
@James72 (26832)
I think I've done this myself on occasion! Does screaming profanities at Oprah count? It's extra special when you encounter these "Look out behind you!" screamers when you're at the movie theatre. It really does make my $48 popcorn and soda taste all the more enjoyable with an ambience like that.
LOL, yes James, it ALL counts. I hear you about the theatre. It is like double the entertainment, yes? And it's great at home when someone rises and jumps up and down and the whole works lol. Karen
@diamania (7037)
• Netherlands
You'll mostly find me screaming to the TV when I am annoyed about people on the TV. Examples are little kiddos who can't even debate on the TV or have a hard time expressing themselves in an interview. I know it doesn't make sense but you'll hear me screaming then.
Hi Dia...yes, frustration is definitely one thing that causes us scream at those on television. Or some of the movies where one is about to make a stupid or dangerous move. I always try to warn them, but they never listen. Karen