Fruit Flies

@Jennlk84 (4219)
My husband and I went away for the weekend. In that time period we had bananas sitting out that got rather brown. Well we came home to TONS of fruit flies!! Now I can't get rid of them!!!!!! Does anyone know how to get rid of fruit flies? I greatly appreciate any suggestions, hints, tips, whatever it may be. Fruit flies are sooo stinkin annoying, I'd love to be able to get rid of them ASAP. And next time I go out of town, I will double check the fruit we have sitting out! Lesson learned.
@dlr297 (5387)
The key to controlling these fruit fly infestations is to locate and eliminate their breeding sources. Fruit Fly Inspection: Look first for fruit fly sources in areas where vegetables or fruits are stored outside refrigeration. Also look for fruit fly sources in garbage cans , under appliances, and recycling bins. When searching for fruit fly breeding sources, remember that the larva can only survive in decaying organic matter that is moist. Here are some home remedies that may help: Apple Cider Vinegar Trap You can make inexpensive Apple Cider Vinegar Traps to get rid of them. Simply remove the metals lids off three or four empty baby food jars. Use a very small nail or brad and a tack hammer to poke several holes through the tops of the jar lids. Next, fill each jar about half full with Apple Cider Vinegar- not White Vinegar. They'll only be attracted to the fruit smell of Apple Cider. Then, replace the lids and set the baby food jars around your kitchen. You can also use any type of small jar or container with a lid.
@dlr297 (5387)
Thank you very much for the Best Response. It is very much appreciated. You have made my day a little bit Brighter.
@jessi0887 (2794)
We have had that similar problem. Flies multiply fast too. My parents buy these things called fly strips i believe. ITs like glue on a strip. It attracks the flies. The flies land on it and cant get off. Then they die.
@Jennlk84 (4219)
We actually have one of those up for flies and the fruit flies won't go anywhere near it!!! UGH!
Jenn you could maybe rub something fruity smelling on it to attract them. Idk maybe it'll work and maybe not.
@MistyWood (349)
I have had this problem before - often when my fiancee buys fruit and then forgets to eat it! The following usually sorts out the problem: * Throw out all fruit in fruit bowl, put into a bin bag and then into the outside bin. * Remove all garbage from the room, again put it all in an outside bin * Wash / wipe down surfaces with a mid solution of bicarbonate of soda * Clean out fruit bowl * Bleach sink This usually gets rid of the critters within 24hrs!
@Jennlk84 (4219)
Thank you for the suggestions!!
@webearn99 (1744)
Now that is a problem. Fruit flies multiply very fast. For this they have to lay eggs, which they do in the billion shady nooks and corners of any room. So no matter how well you cover all the surfaces while cleaning, there will be somewhere where a hatchery thrives and more flies to annoy you. However since breeding and laying takes place only in shady, dark areas, sunning and airing the room for a week will help. Please take to see that no food is left in the open. They thrive equally well on carbohydrates and proteins. Spraying a disinfectant into corners and less ventilated places helps by killing the larvae. It will take some time to get rid of all, but persistence pays.
@mariposaman (2967)
I could give you several traps to make, usually involving liquid fruity substance like fruit juice or apple cider vinegar in a glass with a funnel on the top or shape a funnel out of tinfoil or paper so that the fruit flies can get into a glass or jar but cannot get out and drown. As long as you get rid of their breeding source like the rotten bananas, they only live for 24 hours so even if you do nothing you can wait them out until they die. For some reason there seems to be lots of fruit flies this year. I wonder if a band some sort of chemical that used to control them on and now they are breeding out of control. I cannot leave fruit or slightly off fruit around more than a day or so, counter before the House is full of fruit flies and they seem to congregate near the drain and my shower. Every time I go to do dishes I disturb a couple of fruit flies.
@jesssp (2742)
I'm glad you started this discussion because dlr297 gave some great suggestions and we have the same problem at work right now. The recycle bin hadn't been emptied for some time and the fruit flies were in their glory. I put a banana peel in my garbage every morning but never think much of it since it's emptied every night but those little buggers were migrating over hear and driving me crazy! I definitely feel your pain!
@Shar19 (8236)
What a pain that must have been to come home to. The only way I know how to get rid of fruit flies is my smacking them between my hands.