Weird company policy on Best Buy

From the news, two brave best buy empployees stop a shoplifter who tried to steal, and to flee the scene. Later on, that two hero employess were fired by Best Buy; Due to the reason, Best Buy afraid of the litigation, and it is not one of their store's policy on that. Have your heard about this news. I just feel so weird about it, and they should sue Best Buy for unreasonable excuse of "Let go" of these 2 heroes. What would you say about it?
I can vouch for this; I used to work Loss Prevention at Best Buy about 5 years ago. I don't know how it is for all states, but in the State of California you are not allowed to touch anyone, even if you suspect them of stealing, if you are not registered with the state and do not have what is called a "guard card." It's a bit silly, obviously, but it's the law, at least here. We can approach someone, we can try to detain them, but if they were to theoretically choose to run away from us, or not stop for us, there actually is little we could do, and they are not willing to pay extra for people certified, at least here in CA, to stop these people. I saw this happen to a co-worker of mine; someone who'd been with the company for almost 10 years. He tried to stop a shoplifter, grabbed his arm, and was suspended for it. In the end, thankfully, he did not lose his job like those two you were talking about, but it was still something that bothered me because of his service to the company and what he was trying to do. Unfortunately, we live in a very litigious society, and everyone is looking to make a quick buck. Someone could turn around and tell those people that they could sue because they were touched, and suddenly there would be lawsuit. Sad, but the world we live in.
that is right. I didn't fully aware of that. Can't touch anyone with a certified license, even they try to harm you while at work; or you were trying to protect the company's property for the entire good. That is bull. They should re - consider to correct this law. It is situational, not everyone can consider that is legal to steal, and not legal to do their job right.