Need help making a decision on a job.

United States
August 25, 2009 12:57pm CST
Ok here is the background story. Sat I went on an interview with a halloween store, for a management position. They sent me an email offering me the job. The pay is ok and it is a temp job but the parent company might offer me a fulltime job, but that is only a chance. I still have to answer them back. Well this morning I got a call for a company I really would love to work for. I just got back from the interview and it went real well. There are three positions that I applied for and he could put me in anyone of them. He has two more interviews already scheduled for Wed, so he can not make an offer yet. So here is my problem, should I take the first offer or wait to hear what happens for the one I would like. I could be working by tom. if I take the first. I will still have to take the second half of the interview for the other which might take me till next week before I have a job. What to do, what to do! Let me know what you would do please. Thanks for any input and have a great day!
1 person likes this
11 responses
@tdemex (3547)
• United States
25 Aug 09
No brainer! Take the fist job and quit if you get the second job! tdemex
• United States
26 Aug 09
You took the words out of my mouth Tdemex....LOL... Yes, in these difficult times is hard to find a job any job for that matter...I've been out of work for over a year. I was laid off from a Private Bank, my job actually went to India. (No offense what so ever to my Indian friends) ;) I don't know your situation but if you really, really need a job, I would definetely take the 1st job go to your second interview at the job you really want and if things go well and you get the 2nd job, then you tell your 1st job bye, bye. :) I know it sounds bad but these days you have to look out for yourself because no body else will. Good Luck in your decision my friend and Good Luck with your new job. :) Olivia~
• United States
26 Aug 09
thanks for the advice guys, yes i have been out since the end of sept 08. I'm going to take the postition and let them know that I have a perm postion that i am interviewing for just so they could prepare if i do get the postion.
1 person likes this
@tdemex (3547)
• United States
26 Aug 09
Wow that to me would be taking a chance! I'm a guy but my ba**s aren't that big! I'd take anything at this point and keep my mouth shut, your taking a real chance of ending up with nada! tdemex
@lborja (2)
• Philippines
26 Aug 09
if i were on your shoes, i would wait to hear what happens to the second one which you said, you would love to work with. after all, there are three vacant positions which you applied and im pretty sure, you will get one of them. i understand that it is too hard to find a job at this time but we always consider not only the salary but other things that can bring us fulfillment in any workplace. i guess, you have seen something beautiful in the second company which is not present on the first one. go for the one that will make you happy. it is not also good to accept the first one then later, you will decide to leave simply because you got this job you wanted from the company you would love to work with. it will send a wrong message to other employers on your working attitude. i hope i will be able to help you with my advice. goodluck.
• United States
26 Aug 09
thanks that is the whole reason i dont want to take the first then just quit. that is not my work ethic and is why i am having this problem on deciding. thank you for your advice and the luck, have a great day!
@Hatley (164507)
• Garden Grove, California
26 Aug 09
hi I would take the better paying job since the other one'isjust a temp and you hAve no assurance that they will hire you permently. It is one with a company you really would like to work for and'I think that you will get the job. go for it.
• United States
26 Aug 09
well i have not talked money with the second job yet, but at least it will be perm and have insurance and benifits. i so want the second job but with my luck if i turn down the first i can see myself not getting the second. i got a phone call from their corp. office last this evening and i have to call them back do that has to be a good sign but i dont want to get to excited. thank you for the hopefully thinking.
@cutepenguin (6457)
• Canada
25 Aug 09
I would take the first job - it will take a while before the second job even starts making offers, and you never know what will happen. A retail situation has high turnover anyway, and depending on your financial situation you might want to work for both companies - one during the week and one on an evening or weekend basis anyway.
• United States
25 Aug 09
thanks, i see your point. he still has two more interviews then i have to do some computer questionire and dont know if i have to met with his distric manager. so yep most likely two weeks till i know for sure. and i was thinking about not screwing the halloween store and see if i could still do p/t
@benny128 (3621)
25 Aug 09
well I would speak to the one you got the offer from and just say that you need a few days to consider the offer of employment. That gibes you time to get offers from the other ones and you never know you might of impressed them that much might offer you abit more money.
• United States
25 Aug 09
i was thinking the same thing. i really dont want to stick the halloween store.
• United States
25 Aug 09
I see others have said to take the first job but honestly if I were in your shoes I would probably wait for the second job. You already know that you would like it and you could be put in any of the three positions. But then again if they don't call you then you could have at least had a job at the halloween store. So I don't know. I just know if it were me then I would wait on the second job. But if you are needing a job and to make money right away then maybe you should take the first job and then if the second one calls you then quit the first job. I'm just not a person that starts a job and quits the next week. Not meaning anything bad by that...but that's just the way I am.
• United States
25 Aug 09
that is my problem to sweetgirl, i dont want to take it then up and leave. I know how that could mess things up in a store or department. and it is not like a am just a coworker i would be a member of management.
@ds6413 (2073)
• United States
25 Aug 09
I have to agree with the first person who answered.Why put off taking the job when you may get the offer for the other job because you haven't gotten the offer yet
• United States
26 Aug 09
yes i see your point, i dont have that offer yet but i di receive the one and there is no saying that the second will happen just yet
• India
25 Aug 09
Hello, Because you already have the first job in hand I feel you can accept if there are no strings attached to it. I mean if you will be free to leave the job once you get the other job which is better. One in hand is better than two in the bush. Happy mylotting
• United States
26 Aug 09
thanks for the advice. yep that saying really does apply to this
• Philippines
26 Aug 09
For me, i would choose the one that i like..it's fine to wait for two weeks..I'd rather wait for the one i like..But you are a very lucky person because you have this opportunity of choosing the job that you want..
@san_683 (88)
• India
26 Aug 09
Going for the first job i think would not be useful, if you know that you will be working only for few months and then leave, rather you can just wait and take up the second job.. May be if you don get the second job(that won happen), am sure there will be opportunities ssimilar to first job, you can always ask stores and other places to take you in as a temp and prove your worth at that time, and say that if they don like you, they can keep you as temp else make you permanent.... Anyways best of luck for your decision...
@maysya (84)
• Indonesia
26 Aug 09
yah, you have to accept the first chance, the first job good luck, bro