4th, 5th, but this time 1st - Contests aren't all bad

@Trensue (5256)
I was happy to finally move up to the money this time. Contest writing is a little more than frustrating. I try to write and then just ignore them. This time it worked. What is your strategy on Helium writing contests?
@mrtimharry (1180)
I tend to write and the look up until the deadline and then whilst it is being calculated just ignore the rankings. As I can't do anything about it, it just frustrates me especially if i think my articles are better than the ranking shows.
Anyway congratulations on your win
@Sandra1952 (6052)
• Spain
First of all, congratulations on your win. I totally agree with you; once I write to a contest title, I have to check every time I log on to see how I'm doing, and it's so distracting. I think the best strategy is probably to select a category where you can write at least 2 articles, and write as soon as possible after the titles are posted, to give yourself plenty of time to earn points. Then again, I haven't won a writng contest - yet!
@AnythngArt (3304)
Congrats! My newest strategy is not to do them. I just did one and my place in the contest went from 2nd to 8th, and everywhere in between. I ended up not making any money at all. It was my second contest. The first one was equally frustrating, but I ended up coming in first place, to a nice reward. This time, nothing but heart ache. Once again, like the leapfrogging issue you also posted (and I just responded to), the randomness of the rating will kill you every time. Unless everything goes your way. I am quite confident that it is not tied to your skill, however, which is unfortunate. When the system works for you, it's great. Maybe ignoring the articles once you've written them is key. I get obsessive about them instead.
I agree with you on this one. I went all out this last two weeks writing for one of the contest. I started our really well and now I am in last place. My writing stars took a huge beating due to this. I have no writing stars due to the contest. These contests are frustrating at times. This is like the third one that I have ever gone into and I have never won. I know I have some really great articles in there and they tanked to the bottom of the heap.