If you're told you could be completely blind by morning, what would you do?

@suesan35 (479)
Sri Lanka
August 27, 2009 9:09am CST
I have glucoma and I have to get my eyes tested for pressure every month. There are drops I use and which keeps on changing from the not so costly to extremely costly, depending on the progress of the treatment. For those not familiar with Glucoma it is a condition of the eyes where you start losing your vision and once lost, can never be regained. But there's treatment now to stop the condition of the eyes getting worse further, by using drops or an operation. Having got fed up of using drops that were getting more costly by the day, I visited the best eye surgeon in the country and after many tests he told me that I had already lost 85% vision in my eyes and before the night is out I could be completely blind unless I had an operation or continued to use eye drops until death. I was scared of losing the other 15% too, so I opted for the drops hoping for the best. I don't think about it but it's always there at the back of my mind. What would you have done? considering the fact that the operation is also risky,
2 people like this
3 responses
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
• United States
27 Aug 09
BLESS YOUR HEART, I am so sorry for your condition. I really can't say what i would have done, would be an aful lot to think about. I hope your condition does not worsed, Take care & god bless.
@suesan35 (479)
• Sri Lanka
28 Aug 09
Thanks you so much for your concern dear Antiquelady. Sometimes I feel that whoever hears of my condition is more concerned than I am. Maybe because now I have had time to get used to it. I too used to be scared at the beginning as were my parents. But since they are no more, I have sort of given up on worrying about myself. I follow doctors orders exactly and make sure I put the drops into my eyes daily without fail and hope for the best while leaving the rest in God's hands. I know that the doctor made that particular comment of me going blind by morning just to scare me enough to ensure that I do what he tells me, but I would definitely have preferred not hearing it and I certainly don't want to hear it again, because I know of people who have just gone blind like that through glucoma.
1 person likes this
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
• United States
28 Aug 09
U are very welcome & u are very brave, I know this was a shock to u & your family. I am glad u have their support. We all have problems . some have worse than others. U be sure to do what the dr. says & take good care of yourself.
@rashmie (948)
• United Arab Emirates
27 Aug 09
Sorry to hear this. It is hard, literally impossible to say, what would I have done knowing that something like this may or will happen with me. It is really tough. Though, as far as Glucoma is concerned I had read somewhere that it is being treated successfully in Shankar Netralaya. This hospital is near Chennai and considered as one of the best hospitals for eye in the world. People from all over the world visit here. I suggest you to check about this on internet....hope you will be fine...my best wishes are there for you..
@suesan35 (479)
• Sri Lanka
28 Aug 09
Thanks Rashmie. I'll certainly check it out. However, since I'm also living on my own, there are so many things to think about if I have to go to another country for treatment. So let's see what happens.
@AmbiePam (49082)
• United States
27 Aug 09
Glaucoma is certainly something that would frighten me. I don't know what I would do if someone told me I would be blind by morning. Besides cry, that is. Not that crying would help me. Do you live in the United States? Because I would think they have more treatment options than some other countries. Not that America is the only medically adavanced country, of course not.
@suesan35 (479)
• Sri Lanka
28 Aug 09
No my dear, I do not live in the USA but we do have good doctors in our country Sri Lanka although not as good as in the US. However, like I said I do not think about it a lot, but make sure that I take my drops daily without fail. My only problem at the moment is since I now have tunnel vision, I can see only what's directly in front of me but not the two sides and the downside (i can't think of another word)this sometimes creates problems because I tend to knock a lot against objects on the ground level and once even fell into a drain. I just laugh those off because I'm thankful that I can at least everything in front of me and am determined to keep it that way.Thank you for your response AmbiePam.
1 person likes this