Well I blew up another one.

@savak03 (6681)
I am getting a reputation for being hard on cars. In the past five years I have driven eight vehicles to death. This last one hasn't even lasted one month. Of course, the fact that I have no way to get a newer car, and the ones I am able to afford are usually almost worn completely out doesn't help matters any. Then when you add the fact that the nature of my work requires I put two to three hundred miles every week on any vehicle I am driving doesn't help much. Even though I am scrupulous about maintenance there is only so long a mechanical object will last. So, how many cars have you owned? Do you wear them out as fast as me? One thing is for sure, when I buy a car there is no danger of it showing back up for sale. When I am through with them they can only be used as a paper weight.
@mysdianait (64058)
Well I guess it's nice to have a reputation for something This has me laughing so much as you are so funny. I can imagine your desperation at getting through them so quickly but you still manage to laugh about it I have been lucky with both the cars I have owned. One just got too old and everyone suggested I changed it before it had problems. It was new when I bought it and 12 years old when I replaced it with the one I have now. This one was 2 years old and have belonged to a pensioner who used it very little. I am going to have the same problem with this one soon. It is now 13 years old and it's time I replaced it. Not becuase it is giving me any trouble, quite the opposite. It does have a few dents though, thanks to those who don't look where they are going!
@James72 (26829)
Heya savak! I've owned about 8 or 9 cars throughout my life so far and thankfully I've never had one completely die on me yet! I too used to do a heck of a lot of driving, but I work in an industry that usually pays me a generous car allowance, so I was always able to get new or newish cars that rarely caused me any issues. My very first car was a 1976 Saab of all things (mustard in colour too) and this vehicle caused me no end of problems, but it never became a paperweight and was traded up a few years after I bought it. It seems you have a car curse or something!
@savak03 (6681)
I wish I got a car allowance but in my line of work that won't happen. It is a condition of being an independent contractor that I have to provide all and any equipment needed for the job. On the plus side I don't have to accept any assignment that would not be cost effective and I am in control of my schedule. Of course it takes time to figure out which jobs to take and which ones to leave alone. If I hadn't been stupid when I was young and plagued with financial problems during the 20+ years my husband was paralyzed my credit score wouldn't be so low and I could get financed for a newer car that I could take care of instead of buying cars that others had already wore out. Oh well, we learn from our mistakes.
I have to admit that through time I've gone through a few cars, and some parts that need to be replaced do get used until and beyond their life expectancy... It is cheaper to replace a part rather than a car, but sometimes things happen unexpectedly... I suspect that the previous owner of your car might have neglected it a little too much at one point and maybe knew of the pending disaster? Be that as it may be, this is the price we pay in the used car market as we buy cars as is... Sometimes we get lucky and sometimes we don't... The car I owned before this one was such a great deal but I really didn't know how limited the life of that vehicle would be and it was showing obvious signs of over use at the time I decided I needed to get something that looked more reliable, now this one has had some problems but as long as it remains in working order I suspect I will drive it for as long as I can unless of course I find myself in a financial position to allow me to upgrade at will. Cars are very expensive I know, I hope you find something more reliable and that you have all the help you require to do so... Good luck I wish I could do more than just wish...
@savak03 (6681)
Hey Buffalo, how has life been treating you lately? Are you getting anywhere with your family? I am actually very good with mechanical things, especially cars. The problem is you can't buy something that is already wore completely out and expect it to continue to function. No amount of maintenance will keep a car running forever. That old adage that you get what you pay for is so true.
I've got a lot going on right now and nothing all at the same time, waiting is the hardest part.
@savak03 (6681)
I certainly feel for you. I hope you get things settled to your satisfaction soon. There is nothing worse in my book than having someone else control the things you should be in control of, especially when they are doing such a bad job of it.
@mayka123 (10598)
So what exactly are you doing? Collecting paper weights? I think you should now be buying one that will come with a warranty and will last you for a few years...I am not too fond of driving and our city has such crowded roads that I am not comfortable travelling by car here. It takes us much longer travelling by car than travelling by train.
@savak03 (6681)
If I could afford one with a warranty I would buy it. Believe me I don't like worrying about whether the car will get me from point a to point b.
@stephcjh (32328)
I have owned several cars in my lifetime also but I usually lease them and trade them back in for another one when the lease is up. I have had one car blow up on me also but it was a used one. I took it to the repair shop several times because it was not running right to begin with but it finally blew up.
@savak03 (6681)
Well if it wasn't for people like you who trade in their cars for new ones people like me wouldn't be able to have a car at all.