Travel Anecdotes

Has anyone got any interesting stories related to travel? Have you had anything funny, scary or strange happen to you while travelling whether on a 5 minute or days long journey?
@twooten (64)
I recently traveled to Colorado Springs for my 14 year wedding anniversary for 1 week. There were so many things to see, tour, taste, experience I didn't know what to do with myself. The second day there we decided to go to Pikes Peak. This is actually a circular mountain which you drive in circles to get all the way to the top which is 14,600ft high. It takes about 1 1/2 hour to get to the top and 1 1/2 hour to come down. The weather was really nice. Its less humid and the high was about 75 degrees with a nice breeze. Needless to say when we got to the top of the mountain, because of the altitude it was about 59 degrees. It was so funny because nearly everyone had on shorts and were running to their cars getting their coats. there was actual ice on the top of the mountain Well after we had toured the gift shop at the top of the mountain, I went to the restroom. I noticed after being up there for about 30 minutes, I begain to get short winded, out of breath, light headed and nautious. I finally figured out why when i came out of the bathroom. There was a sign that stated due to the high altitude and elevation of Pikes Peak Mountain, you may experience the following symptoms, and if so you need to start heading down the mountain as soon as possible. You should have seen my husband. He was so concerned talking about come on lets go so i can get you down from here. Another day we headed out to this place called Garden of the Gods. This is beautiful sight of all different colored shaped rocks and boulders that are just unusual but beautifully carved. you could actually hike up and around the boulders and rocks if you choose. Anyway this is funny. I saw a lovely place to take a beautiful portrait. So i told my husband to hold the camera while i climb to the spot i liked. so i started climbing and all of a sudden i heard like some claws or something coming. my husband quickly said be still! I said what is it? he said I don't know i only saw the back of it! he said come down right away. Mind you mostly everyone there had on sneakers. we decided to go in our flip flops cause we were just touring you know. baby i was trying to jump and run down those rocks quick! by the time i made it down to where my husband was, there was an adult dear with huge antlers sticking out of his head standing in the exact spot i came down from. i never been so close to a wild animal in my life. my husband quickly took the pic and it was as if the animal just knew. he stood there facing us for the pic and didnt move. after the pic was taken he ran off into the woods. my heart was beating fast. i made the joke afterwards that if i hadn't made it down in time, i would have looked like the lady on americas most funniest home videos cause that deer would have kicked my but.
My that was a long post! Kicked your butt or tossed you with his antlers even! I have heard of that problem with high altitudes beofre - there's not enough oxygenand some people sometimes can't move. I wonder they didn't have emergency oxygen at hand Sounds like you had quite an adventure
When we had a stopover in an airport in South Korea, my dad suddenly wanted to have a coffee so we looked for one. We saw a coffee stall and guess what. A cup of coffee cost $100!!! So my dad was like "Ok forget it. Let's go."
For goodness sake - that just takes the biscuit! I just used my conversion tool and it works out at £61.28 in my currency. A day's wages for many people. Who on earth would pay that! Perhaps coffee is rare in Korea, or were they just trying to rip off tourists desperate for a fix!
@maximax8 (28558)
I was on a ferry traveling from Circular Quay to Manly in Sydney. I was sitting at the front next to an old lady. Two men stood in front of our view. The lady banged them with her newspaper. She asked to get out of the way.
Oh my goodness! lol It can be quite scary when an old person gets angry. Especially if they have a walking stick or an umbrella in their hand. I once saw two old people having a fight over a parking space