Friends on Facebook ... have you also reconnected with them in real life?

Let me start by saying that the friends I have on Facebook are people I've met and known in real life. They are either family members, or people I've come across at some point in during my life - so they are not strangers. Sometimes I'll see someone I recognize on someone else's wall, or I'll do a search for someone I just thought of. All I want to do is to say hello and ask what they are up to these days. That's pretty typical of Facebook communication, right? But then there are a few who actually want to get together. Let's meet up, let's go have a drink, let's go see a movie . . . I wasn't expecting to do anything social outside of Facebook. There are some friends whom I would love to see personally, but then there are just others who I just wanted to merely say my greetings to and that's about it. I didn't mean to make it a request to start hanging out. How do you feel about situations like that?
@russso (1701)
Most of my friends and I keep in touch and have reconnected in Facebook. Whenever we have a chance to hangout, we do hangout since we don't see each other all the time. It's awesome whenever there are get-togethers.
I do agree. It's always awesome to hang out with your real life friends (and it's fun when they happen to be on Facebook). But what do you do with some acquaintance you knew like 20 years ago . . . someone you knew but didn't even hang out with back then? I just wanted to know what's been happening with their lives - that's all.
@russso (1701)
We say hi.. hello... and comment on each others' photos. It kinda works because when you see them at the mall, there are no awkward moments because you guys are like updated so there's something to talk about.
@Jill22 (265)
Yes! My friends at facebook are my friends in real life!
@russso (1701)
Me too! A social networking site becomes more interesting and meaningful when a lot of your real life friends are there.Ü
I do hang out with my real life friends - many of which are on Facebook as well. But I meant the people who want to hang out that you haven't seen in years. Some of these people I didn't even hang out with back then - we happened to go to the same school or work. But sure, hanging out with real life is always cool!
@Dewfunk (88)
I agree with some of the comments here, well my facebook consist of friends that i know and met in real life or maybe their friends or someone with the same hobby and interest. Well yes If you don't really want or don't have time to get together you could just said no, I have that questions too and since I know them, they don't really mind at all and we still keep in touch in FB or outside of the FB if we have the time. Honestly FB's advantage for me is getting me in touch with old friends that I haven't or cant see personally these days, it kept us communicating and that's cool
Yes, if there were enough time, I would love to meet up with certain old friends. But as my time is limited, I can only limit who I can see - and some people, quite frankly, aren't worth seeing at this point in my life. Gosh, does that sound mean? I do like that Facebook does keep all the friends communicating - I'm very satisfied with that!
Most of the people that I have listed as friends on Facebook, are people that I have known over the years and I maintain contact with them. Some of them I have weekly contact with and others I may have yearly contact with. Some people I've known for only a few months and there are a few that I've known for over 40 years. I find Facebook is a great way to see what's going on in a person's life. I like it better than email, because you can comment on certain topics going on in a persons life that you find on Facebook. I really don't use it too much as a social tool other than to see what people are up to in life.
That's just how I see it - a social tool to see what people are up to! I don't feel the need to go beyond Facebook to see some of these people in person. Email -I take too long to read and get back to everyone - but yes, on Facebook it's instant (and just enough!).
A simple "no thank you," should do the trick. You are under no obligation to hang out with anyone you don't wish to.
That is true. I do try to think of something a little kinder than a flat out "no". Like I said, I just want to reconnect with people on Facebook . . . but that doesn't mean that's an invitation to come hang out with me in person! Facebook has no obligations! :)
@weasel81 (2502)
most the people i'm friends with on face book i was at school with, but not i've seen not seen any of them since hooking up in there and they haven't contacted me. the only ones i do see are those who are horsey, and live bout 30min drive from where i am. i think we've all moved on in life and people change, what friends you had when you were younger don't always fits in to your new life.
I think you're right. We've all moved on and grew up since the time we knew the people from our past. This doesn't stop me from wanting to know what's going on with people I've reconnected with on Facebook, but certainly it also does not mean I want to have a personal friendship on a "social" level again.