are you open minded

Now I have read and commented on many postings here on mylot and I seem to find that the people who feel they are the most open minded seem not to be really. So are you open minded or just opinionated?
@ruperto (1552)
I seek to be open-minded though it seems being open-minded requires a lot of research :) Personally I listen to how different people feel about different subject matters. It makes me understand the world better when I hear other peoples' opinions on things that may differ from my views.
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b] I know how you feel. I guess what I am is open-minded on subjects with which I'm unfamiliar, taking time to research as many different sources as possible to find out the facts, & THEN, I make my mind up, so then it's closed--until someone points out some contradictory fact they can verify, & then I'm off to research again. I have been known to change my mind, but it's rare, since I'm coming from such a solid foundation. What I never want to be is so "open-minded" my brains fall out. I've met people like that. They're pathetic; they have no core to them, you know? In any case, by the time I espouse an "opinion," you may be sure it's one based on SOLID FACTS, not on something as nebulous as "feeeelings." Maggiepie "WHERE'S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE?"[/b]
opinionatedlady open minded is the opposite of opinionated' as the open minded people do not judge others, the opinionated person does a lot of judging and giving her or his opinion even if 'it is not really wanted. to be open minded to me is to reserve judgment and listen to what people have to say instead.
Just because one has an opinion doesn't mean they cannot or will not listen to others nor does it mean that a good argument cannot sway their thinking.
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b]Both! Depending on who's listening to me! Maggiepie "WHERE'S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE?"[/b]
I guess we all have our moments..lol
@dawnald (84148)
• Shingle Springs, California
I can think of one in particular, claims to be able to handle disagreement really well, but not so. Anyway, I try to be open minded, but I have my biases like anybody else. But how willing I am to really listen, and maybe even change my mind on something, in part depends on how it is said to me. All in the approach...
@thyst07 (2091)
I guess it depends on the subject matter. I do try to be an open-minded person and be receptive to and respectful of other people's beliefs, opinions, etc. There are some ideas that I refuse to accept, however. For example, if someone told me that they believe that women don't deserve equal rights and shouldn't be allowed out of the home, I would disagree with them instantly and unequivocally. As a sociologist and an anthropologist, I study other culture quite frequently, and have to take a "culturally relative" mindset- in other words, I have to take a culture on its own terms, recognizing that their beliefs and practices are valid, rather than automatically judging their culture based on the standards of my own culture. So I've been challenged a lot in my education to learn to be open-minded.