Do your kids have any strange fears?

Kids can be so funny, and they can even be afraid of the funniest things (though, I guess I can see why). I remember my little one always hated the vaccuum, and til this day she hates loud vrooooooming noises like that. She is 4 years old. These days, one of her fears is the THX logo that you see/ hear at the beginning of movies. She totally covers her ears or runs off. It can get sort of loud (like the vaccuum), so it's understandable how she would hate it. If she sees the THX logo on the DVD cover, she'll immediately recognize it and tell her daddy to go return the video - ha ha. What kinds of strange fears do your kids have?
@shuetyeng (148)
My girl will be turning to two years old next week. I know I should not say it but I think she is a very timid girl. She is basically scared and afraid of everything. We are living in a very quite and peaceful neighbourhood, and since she was a baby, we seldom expose her to loud noise, for example motorcycle, cars, loud tv or radio sound and etc. Maybe due to this reason, she is very afraid of loud voice/sound. Just like today, the thunder makes her scream and cried. Besides, she is very afraid of strangers, from adults to kids. At playground, she would more enjoy herself after all the children left home and she played all the games by herself. Not to mention about movies, I never brought her to cinema. I bet she will cry out loud! Dogs and cats are her greatest fear too. Whenever she sees them, she rather not to walk and ask to be carry. Some of my friends say that their kids will be much better in terms of fear after they turned 2, I am praying very hard for it.
Happy early birthday to your daughter! In a way, my daughter was very much like yours when she was younger. She never liked loud noises. She liked adults, but didn't like elderly folks - particularly women (she still needs to warm up to women - but with men she's friendly with off the bat). It took her a while to socialize with other kids as she'd rather play by herself. A lot of these fears eventually taper off and go away . . . especially if they find a way to comfort themselves about these fears. Less than 2 is young . . . I can understand the fears at that age.
Thank you very much for your birthday wish. You are the first one who wish her. When my girl still was an infant, she seldom cry at loud noises, which I thought she supposed to because those sounds are unfamiliar to her. And now as she becomes more mature, she suppose to used to the different sounds, right? But she still cries when she hear loud noises. My girl is okay when dealing with women or men, but she needs plenty of time to warm up with them. She is particularly afraid to socialise with darker skin people (I do not mean to offend anybody here). Although my brother in law is an Indian, she rarely mingle with him. I hope my girl able to conquer anxiety and fear when she grows older.
@Msabu09 (113)
When she was younger - around 2-6 or so - she was fearful of many loud noises. We had some trees taken down in our backyard and the chain saw noise frightened her - not just the sound of it, but the fear that someone was going to get hurt. Fireworks were too loud for her - my mom would always end up taking her to the care until it was over. There was one period of time during which she cried if we sang "Happy Birthday" - I think she was even close to 3-4 then. We never did know exactly why that made her so upset. What we have learned about her over the years, tho, is that she's very sensitive - and not just with loud noises. She has a heightened sense of smell, intuition, pain, etc. My mother is similar, as is my 7 year old niece. No worries, though...my daughter is now 16 and no longer has fears of loud noises - as is evidenced by her rather loud music playing, lol. She's still sensitive and has approached life very cautiously. Ironically, other parts of her personality are very "risk-taker" in nature. Perhaps this balances out the fearful aspects of her subconscious self?
It's good to hear that certain youth fears are eventually outgrown! There was a time when our little one didn't like the blowers and lawnmowers from the gardeners (the chainsaw comment reminded me of that), but not anymore. Your birthday comment reminded me my little one started hating balloons from her birthday because many of them popped (that loud pop) . . . and she didn't want to be near balloons for a while . . . but she outgrew that phase too. Yes, I think later on things just balance out (I hope for my little one too!).
@Msabu09 (113)
If our experience is an example, then yes it will. Your child may still have fears in life, perhaps even greater in appearance than other children. But as a parent, knowing that, and pushing them when it feels right (this is the key - it must feel right to you to push them, without being controlling) will help them to understand these fears are just that. I had forgotten too - our daughter had such fears of putting herself out there a couple of years ago, we did have to push her. She's incredibly athletic, but hadn't played sports for several years. Now at a new school for a few years, it was time for her to try out - she chose volleyball. But when we got to tryouts, she was petrified. Together with the support and encouragement of my mom and sister (who was a great volleyball player), we got her to tryout. She loved it! AND having overcome the fear of going into that gym gave her self confidence. She's now loving her preferred sport of softball, and overcoming a fear such as the one described is easier.
@jenlex79 (257)
I have a 4 year old daughter, but she dosen't seem to have any fears at the moment. Sometimes I wish she did...she'll get herself into any dangerous situation. I guess you could say that she's a daredevil.
My 4 year old is that way with physical activities. There is no fear when it comes to jumping off things, or climbing and such . . . a daredevil as you said. But when it comes to certain noises or visuals, there are certain fears. But that's great you daughter has no fears . . . she'll probably excel in whatever she does!!