How long does it usually take for a simple thing to get done?

@thea09 (18329)
Greece
It is now the ninth night since I broke the crown on my tooth and I'm still waiting for the replacement one so I can finally leave the house without scaring children. I'm beginning to think this is taking a bit too long, even though I have already survived two long dental sessions. If the dentist doesn't call tomorrow then it's practically the weekend and my plans will be spoilt again as I really am not meeting up with people with a gap gaping in the front of my mouth. The whole thing is smaller than the fingernail on my smallest finger. So how long does this sort of thing take in your area? Please, please add other examples apart from just teeth.
@sunny68 (1327)
many times simple things are made to look complicated so that they can charge you more. i have had a root canal which took two weeks and a simple silver filling which took two sittings (3 days). unfortunately we have no other option but to follow the routine. on the brighter side, this is the time to pamper yourself. have lots of ice creme and chocolate, it will cheer you up...
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi Sunny, thanks for cheery comments. Actually I didn't know the dentist did anything else but root canals as they cost a lot. Then I discovered how much a crown costs and wished it was the root canal instead. What are the dentists like there Sunny, modern or basic. Apart from the time delay here as everything has to be sent off somewhere else the dentist is much better than the UK ones.
@sunny68 (1327)
the dentists here are quite modern (they seem to have all the equipments they require). however some ceramic work is sent to specialized labs. my dentist is an elder and a 'gentleman'. he explains me every step of the process and where-ever possible places alternatives for me to decide. the costs at the moment is still bearable. but yes it is increasing steadily. i do have a fair idea of costs out there. my friends father who was in US was recommended root canal. he preferred to wait till his visit to India. he considered that to be a cheaper option. (four years back my root canal costed me about equivalent to US$50)
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Modern sounds good and we have the sending out thing as well. The only difference is the price, we are way more expensive. In terms of dentistry though I think the dentists here are much better than the UK ones and work in a much better way.
@ZephyrSun (7387)
Mine took about 2 weeks. Didn't the dentist give you a temporary one?
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi Zeph, two weeks No temporary one, just a hole with a pole and it's at the front.
@ZephyrSun (7387)
That really stinks. Mine was bad though and I should have had a root canel but, I'll admit I'm a chicken and couldn't do it.
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
They don't get in any hurry here either. I had to waits weeks befor i got my partial at the bottom. After i had a stroke they decided i had to have carotid surgery immediately. that immediately took 2 weeks for them to do it then the dr. told my sons he got in there just in time, so go figure.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi Aunty, two weeks for immediate surgery is a bit of a mess all round, maybe our system of bribery here does has its advantages. You didn't warn me two weeks for a crown
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
i HOPE IT DOESN'T TAKE U THAT LONG TO GET IT. I don't know how long it will take u. Yassou.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi Aunty, good news, the dentist called and it will be ready later and it's going in tomorrow noonish, she wanted to do it tonight but too many people are down with tooth ache.
@jillhill (37354)
I had the same thing happen but it was years ago......I think it was about two weeks before I got the real one....then the dentist I had didn't like the match to my other teeth so he sent it back and got another one....but he put a temporary on mine to help me limp through the time.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi jillhill, so it's a longish wait there as well. I suppose temporary ones add to the bill and they just don't bother with them here but you can imagine how awful it feels walking round with a pole instead of a tooth Anyway the dentist just phoned and it's going in tomorrow, just hope it matches, you've scared me now
hi thea lets see its b een a while since Ihad a crown break and'IHad to wait for several weeks as here in the US it used to be hard to get fast serviced if you, gasp gasp, used an HMO,the doctors and dentists used to segrate their patients into self purchased insurance and those horrid people like me with HMOs, and we got last in line service. then the HMos in the last few years rebuked the doctors for this and we began to get in to see the doctor just about when our appointments were,instead of w aiting an hour or two, same with dentists, but dont know now days what the usual waiting time is for a crown replacement.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi Hatley, I'm beginning to see that it takes ages just to get to see anyone out there. Our system is much simpler, you pay for the dentist in cash and can generally see one straight away. There is a very local one but I am too frightened of her but my son likes her, so I don't go there, and one about 20 minututes away who is busier than the frightening one but will fit you in same day for an emergency. The dentists charge so much that they don't even need to ask for bribes.
@pergammano (7756)
Oh, my goodness, thea, have you ever "touched a nerve" here! Not with DENTISTS..nor VETERNARIANS! Any dental work, practically done that day or the next, because "the sky's the limit" with their fees! Same with a Vet, no fee guidance...and you can have a hip replacement for your dog..the next day! I have NOW waited 13 months, for a Gastroentrologist, and the wait list~~~just to see the specialist for a knee re-structuring is in the area of 2-2 1/2 years! I hear you about your tooth, but for fear of treading on hallowed ground, it truly is related to vanity....and I am sorry, if I assumed wrong ....is there pain! In B.C., you are more than liking to "die" on a waiting list, than have your proceedure. Heart patients, waiting years! It is deplorable! Please accept my apology, if I went where I shouldn't have! Happy Thursday...& Cheers!
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hello again pergammano, waiting situations sound worse from each of the responders so far than they are here, we can see someone right away usually unless there are strikes. Here a lot of the surgeons still use the old brown envelope trick to hasten things along but waiting times are not as you describe. It was similar though in the UK to wait to get treatment unless you went privately which I was able to do as my company paid for it. I wasn't trying to compare the wait for my little tiny tooth though to the wait for major operations, it's just the dentist after all. But it is beginning to encroach on things I want to do as it does look horrid, my son tells me not smile at him. And it's really difficult to eat properly and bite. It's a good job I like you as when a complete stranger said it wsas vain I made a discussion about mean comments, it's more about not being gawped at like a freak show. I had the misfortune to run into someone I know in the shop earlier and ended up chatting from behind my shopping list. I have no intention of sitting in the cafenion like this. It was bad enough when I was stuck in a surgical collar a few years back and had to wear that in public but complete strangers used to come up to me and wish me well and tell me about their ailments, all handy stuff when mastering a second language. So no I'm not cross, Aunty knows how I feel, selfconscious.
I truly do KNOW how you feel...not a little, but a lot nonplussed! Quite a few years back, I was carrying at Salad to a barbecue, we were having outside, in the dark. Even tho'...I had lived on my property for many years, I tripped over a rock on the path, that jutted out....and face planted on the rest of the rockery! A huge chip out of my front tooth..a split lip..an ugly "mug!" When I went the Dentist, as there was pain...the cost to get a peg was $1000.00, money under my circumstances I could NOT even scrape up. I spent many years, smiling little, and talking less! I truly DO know how you feel, but it also was my vanity, too! Time erases your looks fast enough, without a great gaping smile. When I told you about our waiting times for Medical...it was not to gleen sympathy for me, as I can function day to day, but there are so many people here who'se lives are on hold. I do not think, or I do not know if we can pay for treatments, but I guess we do have the option of going to the US! Hopefully you have got the call from the Dentist...and smiling with your children again...and frolicking in Public! Cheers!
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hello again pergmmano, sorry for the delayed return, a bit behind I'm afraid. I really don't know how you could manage years withour a tooth, it probably was much less unsightly than this horror, I think still having the pole bit stuck there makes it look worse than a real gap, as it's metal covered. Anyway I've had the call and it will be sorted tomorrow at the expense of heating oil in the winter. The cost prohibiting me did make me laugh a bit though as it made me think of one particular fisherman in the village. Apparentaly he has a little thing for me and has been waiting for over 6 years now to ask me out, but he won't do it until he's saved up enough for some new teeth. Just hoping it takes him a long time to get round to the dentist as it could take him years to get over rejection
@sid556 (31018)
That actually seems to be an incredibly long time. I broke a little part of a crown a while back and it was towards the back of my mouth and not causing me pain. I was actually the one procrastinating. The dentist kind of pushed me and asked...what are you waiting for ...until you are in pain and need a root canal? I know I procrastinate and I so hate these visits but yup...they are important. I set up the appointment....went in... bit it and it took me all of less than 10 mins to fix that crown!! i was shocked and laughed. It was nothing. I actually had a huge crown done and it still only took less then an hour. Ok you want examples other than teeth...my dentist is great....my auto mechanic....love him...trust him and yet he can't even seem to find time to change my tail light. gets more than a little frustrating.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Wow Sid, that's quick. You're talking about fixing a crown though I think rather than having to have a whole new replacement one done. I was already in the dreaded chair nearly three hours last week just getting the broken one off and having those ghastly impressions done. Anyway the new one goes in tomorrow, it could have been done tonight but lots of people have bad toothache today and of course nothing can be expected to be done in the siesta hours of the afternoon. My mechanic is great too, and he's a lot cheaper than the dentist
@sid556 (31018)
True....getting fixed rather than replaced. I guess that makes the difference.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
@Capsicum (1444)
I think it depends on the doctor and the insurance you carry .How willing a doctor is to rattle a few cages to get his patient a must have. I have this problem myself of taking to long to get something necessary done, thinking there is always tomorrow.Some doctors have this also ! This is when its time to start looking for a more efficient, person to meet your needs.I would hate to have to cancel weekend plans for something such as this,but know I would do the same.Hope you get it before the weekend,be sure to call them everyday until it arrives.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi Capsi, seems to be usual reading from on here that one has to wait for such things to be done. The dentist is actually the best one I've ever been to and I am actually not frightened about going back tomorrow which must be an all time first. Yes, it is arriving later and goes in tomorrow. Glad to hear I'm not the only one to cancel plans over such a little thing.
@Capsicum (1444)
Hi thea,This is great news for you ! See all worked out,I am glad it was not the dentists neglect seeing how you like him.It would be a terrible thing to loose, a good doctor as they are far and few between. So smile for us all tomorrow,and enjoy your weekend plans.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Thanks Capsi, and it wasn't the dentist, it was his wife, and she was brilliant and with her I can now officially say I think I've overcome my fear of the dentist. And I'll be able to smile again tomorrow.
@Wizzywig (7860)
My husband's crown (or something... tooth with a sort of metal pin in the bottom to secure it)became loose a couple of weeks ago but we already had a routine dental check booked for today so he decided to wait. Yesterday,he sneezed and it fell out. I found it and we took it into the dentist this morning. He put it back straight away and charged about £16 GBP. It took the optician almost 3 months to get my glasses right last year.. I'll be going to a different one next time.
@Wizzywig (7860)
I got £30 refund and the choice of any frame in the shop but the assistant was quite rude & it turned out that they'd given me the wrong prescription so I really couldn't see clearly & wasn't just being awkward.
@malpoa (1218)
Dentist and me,our relation dates back to a very early stage may be before i turned 6!!! I used to eat a lot of sweets and it always showed!! hi hi..But our dentist eventhough he has a packed room always, he keep the appointment on time and does his job perfectly. Do you mean you need to cap your teeth or you need to place a new one? If it is about placong an artificial one, it takes longer here, more than two weeks but for the time being, dentist gives a substitute tooth, which on most cases are ill fitting. If you ask me the time taken to get things done by any government related job, it takes more than a few visits hi hi sometimes they make us visit for months... there is a saying which says if you have to get something done by a particular government office/department, you better buy an additional sandal because the one you currently use will be gone to wear and tear within a few weeks. For private agency related work, like changing name of gas cyinder owner or change in location, it hardly takes a few minutes. They mean business and for them time is money.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi Malpoa, that would be the infamous milk sweets I take it.I like your sandal saying, that would be a good one to use here about paper work. The dentists are private here, cash business, and I go back to tomorrow to get the new crown in place, thank goodness. I would have expected something temporary to see me through but didn't get anything. But I will be smiling again tomorrow Malpoa.
@malpoa (1218)
Hmm sweets irrespective of whether it is of milk or not. As a child I used to spend most of my pocket money on coffee bite, a candy. You know here BDS (bachlor of dental science) is a four year course. And dentists earn more than any doctors. My current dentist is one hell of a rich person...He earns more than say 25k INR per day. that is from one private practice, he has more.He is a reader at a dental college, an ex army captain and so on...
Hi thea!I am in sympathy with you.How can that thing happen to you!Just take it easy.I haven't experience such thing.Good luck!
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Thank you for your sympathy yuhongchao, you are lucky not to have it happen yet but inevitably one day you too could bite on something too crispy and end up with a broken tooth. Mine will be sorted tomorrow and is so welcome I will be able to visit the dentist without fear.
I thought they will give you an artificial crown while they are moulding a permanent one for you. That will allow you at least a week to be used to it before you get the permanent one attached on the tooth. Do check with the dentist's office if it is taking too long. The process of crowning takes a short time with private practitioners. Are you using the government clinic? They take longer.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi gracefuldove, we only have dentists here that we pay, but unfortunately like everything round here something has to be obtained from somewhere else, usually Athens. I don't think they've caught on with the temporary ones yet as a lot of Greeks are happy enough to wander round with the odd tooth missing but do usually try to make a point of seeing the dentist at least once every 30 years, or when excruciating tooth ache makes them go, whichever happens first. I had the call and get the new one fitted tomorrow.
@neildc (17268)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
hi thea. the last time i brought my kids and my wife to the dentist, to have our teeth cleaned and check if there are some teeth which needs special attention, was a good one. my step-daughter got her two pulled out and replaced in just 3 days. i think it should not take a week, it's a simple thing, as you have said.
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi neildc, sounds like you have a quick system out there. It appears though that getting a new crown sorted is quite a lenghty process anywhere and just taking them out should be quick. I get mine finally sorted tomorrow so am looking forward to venturing down to the cafenion again to meet up with friends, instead of hiding indoors so as not to scare children, in the words of my own son.
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hi ya thea09 I do hope you have managed to get it sorted and it hasn't effected your weekend. I called my housing association on Monday to inform them of a blocked drainpipe. Something blew off the roof during high winds that we had the other week and fell into a part of the gutter halfway down the wall where to drainpipes meet, I am sure you get what I mean. So anyway, as I said I called them on Monday and the guy took the information and said someone would be round, so I hung up. Friday came and no one had been round so I called them. A girl on the phone told me that they were very busy at the moment and they had until 12th October to do it as it wasn't a priority. I told her that she needs to changet he status because everytime we wash our hands, brush our teeth or take a shower the water gushes out all over the patio!!
@thea09 (18329)
• Greece
Hi Humbug, sorry for the late response but as the tooth got fixed in time I managed to salvage some of my weekend and took up to the mountains for the night on Saturday. Re your guttering you're lucky they send anyone at all, round here I'd be looking round for a friend nearby with a ladder and the willingness to get up there and get mucky whilst at the same time keeping them outdoors. I hope it gets fixed for you soon though, but on the bright side at least you have water