Do we really have to follow what's on the recipe?

@ced_cap (207)
I recall one time when I was cooking dinner for my family I always have recipe beside me but there was one ingredient unavailable. I continue cooking even without it and luckily it also turned out good. Did this happen to you???
@ktynnz (75)
I don't follow exactly what's on the recipe. If I know that this ingredient has the same purpose with the unavailable ingredient then I'll go for it. Or if there is really no available ingredient then I'll just ignore it then continue cooking. hehe.
@hotsummer (10300)
i hate following recipe to the letter specially it is hard to do. i just do get some ideas and try to do it on my own style. to save money and to save time and sometimes i feel that it is not good if i follow it or i feel that i have some ideas to make the recipe taste better.
@Cherryd41 (1121)
Hi Ced I don't follow the recipe all the time I add my own touch to it from time to time but it does depend on what I'm cooking actually I rarely use a recipe book sometimes I think you can get away with either adding or omiting an ingredient in a recipe as long as its not something major that would alter the taste to much
@amybrezik (2123)
It depends on the recipe. I don't always follow them exactly, and I have been cooking and realized that I was missing an ingredient. I think the easiest ingredients to replace or leave out are spices. You can find a similar spice to the one called for and usually the food turns out fine, sometimes it's even better then what the original recipe called for.