What do you own from another life?

@paula27661 (15899)
Australia
We have a chest freezer at our house that was given to me in 1984. It needs frequent defrosting and the carry baskets inside have all broken but it still works like a charm which is amazing because it has been on constantly for almost 25 years! I love my old dented and rusted chest freezer, it comes from another era; it is the only thing left from that time of my life. I left home for the first time when I was newly married and when we split up and I found my new existence as an independent woman my freezer moved out with me and followed me in flats, townhouses and shared houses; it has seen me cry, laugh, mourn... What is the oldest appliance or piece of technology you own and still use? What are the memories associated with it?
@sanuanu (11238)
Let's see. I am not married so I would use my parent's things which we are still using. I think we are still using 20 years old pressure cooker now. We have a bed which was gifted to my mum by her mum in her marriage. Till last year we had our TV bought in 1984(yes, we were not using it but it was with us). I think rest of them are just 5-6 years old or so!
@paula27661 (15899)
A TV from 1984, does it still work? The pressure cooker has been around a bit too. I love old things and learning the history behind them. Thanks for your contribution sanuanu!
@sanuanu (11238)
Yes, the TV was in working condition but because we bought a new one (color tv) and the old one was a B&W TV, we decided to throw it away as we don't own a house and we have swithced out house for 5-6 times in last 6 years. So, it was really difficult for us to carry all those old things with us. We have 2-3 old iron boxes which was gifted by my mum's mum to her on her marriage which are still with us but we are thinking of selling them!
Paula- The only piece left from former lives is my baby outfit. It was crocheted for my mother when she was little girl, I wore it, all of my girl's wore it, and our little one is almost ready to wear it. When I left my first marriage I lost everything I owned, save what I could carry out in an overnight bag with the police. I then lost everything a year later in a fire that occured in the apartment above me. Everything of mine was ruined from the water. Then when I moved to take my first teaching post, after two years of rebuilding my life, I lost everything because I was not old enough to rent a U-Haul truck on my own, and all I had was a tiny four door clunker that ended up breaking down three times before I made it to Arizona. I'm building up things in this life, which is nice. Now, we do have a few items we found precariously in our hallway. When people move out they tend to leave their items in one area for anyone to take if they so wish. If not maintenance takes them to the trash can. Well, one day we found our large Altar sitting there. It's beautiful wood and only needs a few new door knob pieces but it works wonderfully for all our Buddha and Shiva. Then a few weeks ago we saw a small table sitting there to work for my personal altar. I've been wanting a meditation altar but awaiting funds and there was this little perfect table. It only needed the legs re-guild with some wood glue (Saturday project for me) and now it works wonderfully. Namaste-Anora
@paula27661 (15899)
How lovely that you are able to pass on your baby outfit to your daughter! I have a porcelain angel which used to hang on the wall above my bed when I was a baby and now it is hanging in my daughter's room and I hope one day she will be able to pass it onto her child. Love things that are passed on, real heirlooms! You sound very resourceful making someone else's junk your treasure; we've did that too once and collected a couple of great office chairs that someone put out for collection. Thanks for your input Anora.
@pyewacket (44036)
I sometimes think the old things were made so much better than what's manufactured today. I don't know if this qualifies, but it is from another "era" I still have some things that belonged to my great-grandmother...her all metal egg beater that must be at least 40 years old..it's whipped up many a homemade whipped cream...then I still have these two pewter spoons with porcelain handles...God knows how old they are as I was told that they belonged to my great-grandmother's brother's wife who came from a very old Dutch family (they settled in NY area in 1659)--and believe me they almost look that old...LOL--I don't use them though but have them on display. I even USED to have a vegetable peeler of my great-grandmother's...best one I've ever had in my life...sadly somehow it went missing years ago (my mother had an odd habit of accidentally throwing things out)--never been able to find one since that worked as well.
@paula27661 (15899)
I agree. The old stuff was so much better made. TVs fridges etc used to last forever...Not these days, I think they are designed to break down after a certain period of time! The things you have sound lovely and probably worth something although I doubt you would consider selling them, things like that are precious to keep; even vegetable peelers were better made years ago! I love old things and to imagine the time when they were being used...
@mipen2006 (5528)
My moves have been such that I have nothing, material from the past, (my first wife saw to that) but many fine memories.
@paula27661 (15899)
Well no one can take happy memories away from you and they are worth more than any old appliance that's for sure! I was luckier, my ex left me with everything, not that we had much, and we parted amicably and still occasionally speak so no hard feelings which is good. Thanks for stopping by mipen!
@KrauseHome (35526)
Wow!! To have a Freezer that is that old, is amazing. If it is still working it would be about 28 yrs. old now. I have moved around too much to ever own an appliance or electrical item that old. I know though I just recently sold a Computer that we had around the house for like 6-7 yrs. or more that still worked really well and thought that was a long time, as it was an XP Computer.
We have a refrigerator here which is older than my older brother. My brother is 21 years old and I'm 19 so that's the refrigerator is like two decades already. It's still working too and we still use it as our fridge. We can't still replace it. It has been with my parents since they started the family.