Safe Travel with My Beta Fish

Okay...so a lot of you know I'm hoping to get a job in Utah (I'm in Arizona)...and there is something I'm trying to figure out just in case... I have two beta fish (Frankie and Boomer) that I want to take with me if I move... If I get the job I'll have a 5-6 hour drive ahead of me. It's a pretty easy drive, a lot of it is on the highway...hopely I won't get lost! lol I read a post somewhere else, this couple wanted to know how they could travel with their two beta fish. The "expert" gave them some advice, but I didn't find it helpful. Mostly because these two people had a lot longer drive then I do, and just some different situations. So, for me (6 hour drive at the most hopely) and a pretty straight forward road...how can I drive with my beta fish so they stay healthy and happy? Thanks!!!
@TheCatLady (4695)
• Israel
I would put whatever container to travel with them in an ice chest to keep the temperature at a constant. An abrupt change in temperature is stressful to fish. whatever you use for the container, you need to be sure they have water and air. If you just put their bowl in there is a chance they could splash out. That would be bad. So maybe buy a nice new plastic container with a good lid and poke small holes in the top. Put their old water in up to 2/3 full and put them in it. Then put that in the ice chest. They should be ok. Fish get transported from the commercial breeders in China to all over the world.
Now...do you think they would need a nice sized bowl for a 6 hour drive, or do you think they would be okay in those little plastic cups they come in when you buy them? Because I always keep those when I get my beta's. And I will defeniatly have to check if there are any extra ice chests in the house! Thanks for the help! :)
• Israel
It should be ok. Just don't fill them to the top with water. The air on top will help aerate the water. You might want to add a drop of water conditioner to the cups to help keep the stress level lower. They love that slimy stuff. I was thinking a small cardboard box with balled up newspapers should insulate and stabilize the cups.
@ElicBxn (60884)
well, there are probably a couple of major concerns, spilling them and changes of temperature... so in covered cups is the first requirement and not leaving them in the car if you get out to eat or something... just as you wouldn't leave your dog or cat in a car if you were to get out.
Well I wouldn't be getting out of the car because my cat will also be in traveling with me. :) The only time I would exit the car would be to get fish-but since you can pay at the pump that's no big deal! I still have those little cups that Beta's come in, the plastic ones with the white lids...would those work well? If they don't fit in my cup holder how can I secure them in my car? Thanks Elic!!
@ElicBxn (60884)
I'd say look for a drive thru that has cup holders and see if you can pick one up.
@MsTickle (24962)
I'm sure you already have the answer...plastic bag, water from the fish tank, fish in the bag with the water, rubber band to secure the top, sit the fish and water filled bag in an empty ice cream tub or other suitable receptacle for travelling. Did you get the job then??
@MsTickle (24962)
I forgot to mention...when you get to your destination, set up the fish tank and when you are ready, put the bag with the fish into the tank for about twenty minutes so they don't get a shock from too quick a temperature change. When the time has passed, just release them from the bag to their new home.
@Trace86 (5034)
You could put their cups in a cooler and wedge it on the floor in the backseat so they don't spill. Or you could go to McDonald's and get two large empty cups and put them in them in the cup holder, just make the straw hole a bit bigger and don't fill it all the way. Don't forget the beta bites! They might get hungry on the way. Good luck!
I don't have a cooler that I can put them in--any cooler I have will have food in it and will be kept too cold for them. I do just need to find some way to fit them in the cupholders. I'm not going to forget the food but they won't have to eat at all during the drive. Beta's can go days without eating--and it's only a 6 hour drive so they will eat sometime in the day anyways, they don't need to eat during the drive