Have You Had A Good Or Bad Experience With A Home Improvement Contractor?

@Cherryd41 (1121)
Hi Lotters Recently I had new deck built in my back yard. Of course before we had it built we went online to a site called Service Magic where they match you with local business contractors in your area that they screen them with background checks, license validation,testimonials from other customers they had and they rate them on a 1-5 star scale. I picked a contractor who had 5 stars , pretty good testimonials from other customers and they also got a 5 star rating I shopped around a bit and got a few offers and decided to go with this particular company. That was my first mistake! LOL needless to say it took over 5 weeks from the day the owner came and presented us with the contract to the time the got started on the deck Some of that was due to rain but to make a long story short 1.The owner wasn't paying his crew 2.He was about to file bankruptcy 3.He would lie to his crew and say we didn't pay him thats why he couldn't pay them (anyone knows they take a deposit before they even get started to buy materials) 4.His crew which was only one man who did decks was so angry he told us all this while he worked he also showed up half drunk and (I told him don't come here like that again or you don't need to come back) that made me mad 5. He did have a second man helping him but he quit right on the spot because he wasn't getting paid and they got some hispanic guy off the street with no skills to help finish the job 6.The owner got our order wrong he ordered the wrong deck boards the color was wrong we kept it because it actually looked better that what we picked so it was all good on that issue. 7.The owner gave us the wrong rails I asked for colonial he gave us straight rails we debated back and forth I told him this has been the home improvement from hell your not sticking me with this rails I want what I ordered! I got my colonial rails By this time I just wanted my deck finished because we were also getting a hotub and time was running out thank goodness he finished the job but there were a couple of minor mistakes that he had to correct but by that time my husband was like never mind I'll do it myself don't come back. My husband did a better job then they did anyway turns out he was spending the money to get himself out of debt instead of paying his crew and he was off boating every weekend so he couldn't be reached. Let the buyer beware! I should have done more digging on my own but I gave Service Magic the benifit of the doubt .I did use them for some other projects before this one and the contractors they sent me were great! This shows that it doesn't matter how much screening some contractors are just not good ones they don't have good business ethics but I did get my deck the way I wanted it in the end but not after having to really put my foot down! PS. The man had the audacity to ask for referrals!!
@prinzcy (5082)
When my mom wanted to upgrade our kitchen, we hired a local contractor. He seem reliable and we heard he did a good job. So we discussed this and that. We need to pay him 70% of the supply cost for his payment and we still need to pay for the supply cost. I still can tolerate that. Then we need to pick up the supply from the store. It's okay to ask the supplier to send bricks and all. But he ordered for smaller items like paint and nails and I need to pick it up. Then we discovered he used the stuff excessively. Woods and planks that still can be used were wasted. We still need to order more! I was so pissed. I talk to mom and we decided, it's better to hire another.
@Cherryd41 (1121)
Hi Prinzcy Why in the world would you or your mom have to pick up anything? Thats just ridiculous and whats this about 70% down thats more than half the payment just for him to get started ....ok time out this guy is just not professional at all and your right you and your mom made a good decision on getting someone else to do the job because this guy was evidently shady Were you able to get any of your deposit back since the job was not completed properly ?
@prinzcy (5082)
That's why he's getting on my nerve. Since my mom made the decision, I can't say anything. At least we did get rid of him in the end. There's no refund as we only paid him bit by bit. That really was sux~~~