Honey

@picjim (3003)
Dear mylotters I've heard a lot about the beneficial effects of honey.Should one take pure honey or the one that is sold in the shops?Do tell me about the various benefits of including honey in our daily diet?
@Jennlk84 (4219)
Honey is very good for you!! I love having honey as a treat. My husband and I buy flavored honey at our local Farmer's Market. We have Strawberry honey right now and it's so good mixed with peanut butter, on a sandwich. Anyways, I did some research on why honey is good for you. I was curious too. Here is what I found. Many people often ask me "Why is honey good for you?", "Is this sweetener really more superior than table sugar?". The answer is a clear "Yes!" 1) It is nutritious for you: A much healthier choice than over-processed, factory-made table sugar table sugar and artificial sweeteners which do not have any vitamins or whatsoever nutrients, honey contains many vitamins like B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and certain amino acids. and minerals including calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. 2) It is a healthy food choice: Honey has a healthy Glycemic Index (GI) , meaning that its sugars can be gradually absorbed into the bloodstream to result in better digestion. Eating excessive high-glycemic foods prompts an elevated insulin release in our body as a result of the pancreas being stimulated to metabolize the sudden surge of glucose into the blood. 3) It builds your immunity against sicknesses: Honey contains natural antioxidant properties that can destroy biologically destructive chemical agents which have been linked to many diseases such as cancer. Not only could honey’s antioxidants help to eliminate free radicals in the body, they are also part of the nutrient supply for growth of new tissue. Because of this, for centuries, honey has been used all over the world in different cultures as a home remedy. 4) It energizes you: This perhaps is the most common reply kids get from their parents when they ask "why is honey good for you?" A great natural source of carbohydrates which provide strength and energy to our bodies, honey is known for its effectiveness in instantly boosting the performance, endurance and reduce muscle fatigue of athletes. Its natural fruit sugars, fructose and glucose plays an important role in preventing fatigue during exercise and are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream digested by the body. Also, honey is free of cholesterol and it has been reported that adding small amounts of it in the daily diet could even help keep cholesterol levels in check. 5) It beautifies you: There exist a huge number of honey products in the market for hair care, baby care, skin care for sunscreen, hand lotions, facial scrubs and moisturizers. Honey’s hygroscopic properties also make it an ideal cosmetic ingredient as it helps keep skin hydrated and fresh and prevents drying. Its natural antioxidant and anti-microbial properties also support the skin's ability to rejuvenate and refresh depleted skin, leaving it feeling silky soft and supple. Probably, this might be the best piece of news for the ladies when reading about "Why is honey good for you?" Source: http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/why-is-honey-good-for-you.html
@picjim (3003)
You've given me more than i hoped for.Yours is a comprehensive account of all the benefits honey provides if you consume in the quantity prescribed.Thank you.
@Jennlk84 (4219)
You're welcome! After I saw your question, I was curious as to the exact reasons why, too. Thanks for the Br!
I have heard that honey is good for your inmune system. That means it´s good for your whole body. Besides that, it tastes SO good. My grandmother used to use warmed honey and lemon juice when we had sore throats. It was a treat more than anything. Honey is a kind of sugar that is not bad for us as refined sugar is. You can use it in every food where you usually use sugar. You can also add some water to make it more liquid and baste chicken that you are roasting. Take care! And try it!
@picjim (3003)
Thank you for informing me the beneficial effects of honey.
@picjim (3003)
I'll DEFINITELY TRY IT.
@barehugs (8986)
As a beekeeper of more than 30 yrs (see my blog at http;/campbellshoney.onsugar.com/) I'd like to explain why it is that all Honey is not equal. Even as you read this there are container loads of sweetened sugar syrup/honey coming into the USA from East Asian countries which are sourced in China. This honey substitute is much cheaper than natural honey, because it is made from corn-syrup and sugar. The large Honey Packers in North America are refusing to buy locally produced 2009 crop honey because poor weather has caused a honey shortage, and consequently, a price hike. They are protecting their bottom line by importing Chinese syrup and mixing it with offshore honey. This syrup/honey mixture is not the healthy food you are expecting when you buy Local honey. If you are looking for a healthy sugar substitute (like local Honey) do not buy honey from supermarkets with the label of a National Honey Packer on the jar. Go to your local beekeeper to buy your Honey. Small stores and a markets carry locally produced honey. Only God knows for sure what the Honey Packers are including in their product, and She is not telling!
@picjim (3003)
Thank you for your valuable advise.I shall definitely follow your advise and purchase honey from the local beekeeper.
@savypat (20246)
for the most healthful honey make sure you get one that has not been heated and if you are very brave you can get one that is untrained. I just buy raw honey from a reputable bee keeper.
@picjim (3003)
Thank you.I'll try it the way you've advised.
@themdno (403)
Also, I'm sure most people already know this, but honey never goes bad. Sometimes it will get hard, and crystallize, but you put it in the microwave and its good again! I didn't realize there were health benefits to eating honey, I think I'm going to get some next time I go to the store.
@picjim (3003)
I read an article in this regard it was written that the pharaohs of Egypt kept honey with them in their pyramids and it was discovered in recent times and what was more surprising was it was still edible.
Some honey like Manuka is supposed to be very good. It's pure form is very expensive. It is good because the bees collect pollens from an area which is rich in natural nutrients and also the area is unpolluted by industry. Off the self honey could be diluted and sweetened. As such, avoid adulterated cheaper honey especially from China.
@picjim (3003)
Is Manuka also called beeswax.I have heard a lot of good about its benefits.
@zhouxi (1756)
Honey is good to our health and skin. it's good to our heart.it's has the funtion of anti-fungal.it also contains variety of vitamins and minerals.you can eat it mixed with warm water.
@picjim (3003)
I used to have honey with war water and lime which my dad gave me without realizing its benefits.