Russel Means declares autotomy for the Lakotah Nation

@debrakcarey (19924)
Lakotah Elder Russell Means Speaks Out! Lakotah, formally and unilaterally withdraws from all agreements and treaties imposed by the United States Government on the Lakotah People. We as the freedom loving Lakotah People are the predecessor sovereign of Dakota Territory as evidenced by the Treaties with the United States Government, including, but not limited to, the Treaty of 1851 and the Treaty of 1868 at Fort Laramie. Lakotah, formally and unilaterally withdraws from all agreements and treaties imposed by the United States Government on the Lakotah People. Lakotah , and the population therein, have waited for at least 155 years for the United States of America to adhere to the provisions of the above referenced treaties. The continuing violations of these treaties’ terms have resulted in the near annihilation of our people physically, spiritually, and culturally. Lakotah rejects United States Termination By Appropriation policy from 1871 to the present. In addition, the evidence of gross violations of the above referenced treaties are listed herein. Lakotah encourages the United States of America, through its Government ,to enter into dialogue with Lakotah regarding the boundaries, the land and the resources therein. http://knowthelies.com/?q=node/841 Something akin to pride swelled within me when I read this. How do you feel about it?
@xfahctor (14126)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
I love the spunk. I wish my own state leaders had this much nad. I remeber reading about this last year, I wonder where it stands right now. I haven't heard tell of any insurection having to be broke up so this is either being honored now or it is being peacefully ignored. These guys even estabished their nation's own bank already, with a gold backed monetary system and everything. Cripe, I may just pack up, grab my lady and move to South Dakota, lol.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Wonder what their immigration policy is? I'd love to go too. I went to Rosebud when I lived in Iowa, wanted to find some info on my grandmother. Had a very inlightening experience while there. One of the highlights of my life. I'm going to do some more research on this...will post what I find. I didn't know about the bank, thanks for informing me.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Here's their website. http://www.republicoflakotah.com/
@xfahctor (14126)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
yeh, I have been to their site. It was pretty informative. I guess in order to be considered a citizen of the nation of the Lakota you either have to be born in to it or, like other nations, go through a long process. Would almost be worth it depending on how things go in our own nation.
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Good for them for speaking up and they have my sympathies. The US government has bailed on pretty much every treaty they signed with these people. But good luck getting any action on it.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Since this took place a couple of years ago, it seems like they're pretty much being ignored. Which is the height of disrespect towards them as a people. There are many differing opinions within Native thought. One of the most racist things I see happening to Natives is the idea that they are all somehow 'pure' and 'wise'. They fight amongst themselves over what to do and how to do it same as any other people. I do admire AIM, of which Russel Means is a part.(I am a radical, you know ) And I do agree with their political action. But....I would not presume to know what is best for the Native people's. I was not born on a Reservation, and my grandmother who WAS...got out when she could and tried to live 'white' all her life. I am rooting for autonomy.