Do you consider typhoons, hurricane and floods act of God?

@manong05 (5030)
Natural calamities are sometimes labelled as "acts of God". Can it be possible that some of these calamities are "acts of men"?
@sheen13 (567)
hii manong When we are saying natural calamities, we actually mean something that happened naturally, so it doesn't mean that these are acts by humans. It is actually act done by God. But the humans are only destroying their surroundings, I mean that maybe we have done something wrong and that thing God has not been appreciated by God and he made the natural calamities to occur to make us understand that we have to make our environment better by doing good things. So, it is like a give and take relationship, we are doing something wrong that is giving and in return God gives us punishment that is natural calamities and we are taking it. Have a nice day!
@manong05 (5030)
thanks sheen. I agree, it is man that worsens the effect of natural calamities. Being in the typhoon belt we are prone to get typhoons but the effect of typhoons like severe flooding, extra strong winds are caused by man's abuse of the environment. cheers!
@mdvarghese (1789)
• Bangalore, India
I dont think that the natural calamities are the "acts of God". God is love. So I strongly believe that God cannot be cruel to the humans in the form of Flood or draught. To some extent we can blame men for this type of calamities. Because of our selfishness we cut the trees, we are dumping the plastic and wastage in an unscientific way . These activities will create the imbalance in the enviornment. So some of these calamities are "acts of men"
@manong05 (5030)
Yes, in fact most calamities are man made. cheers!
• Brazil
Yes it can. The humanity is disturbing the natural way that the environment works, by polluting the atmosphere and leading to global warming and other stuff like that. The main causes of typhoons is the chock between two air currents, so if men are changing how those currents works, they are also changing the way 'natural' disasters happens.
@manong05 (5030)
There maybe some forces that are actually at work but it's man that made them worse to the extent of having devastating effects. cheers!
@Trensue (5268)
It is my humble belief that by HIS own rules HE will not interfere with nature ~ therefore it would not be an act of God but a result of nature. Could men have an affect - sure. Could it just be the earth is living and vibrant planet and this is a part if of its natural course - why not. I don't know that placing blame or cause changes the acts itself. And what do you think of that?
@manong05 (5030)
that there are forces of nature at work, we can't deny. But the devastating effects are mostly done by men. They cut trees to the extent that nothing is left to hold rainwater resulting to severe flooding and mudslide killing thousands of people. They throw garbage clogging the waterways submerging cities in a wider scale.
@Trensue (5268)
Where I live we are not even cutting the trees - we are just letting the forests die because of a small beetle - perhaps it is all part of a bigger plane.
@manong05 (5030)
Yes, upsetting the balance in the ecosystem produces undesirable results. I wish all people can learn how to preserve trees. thanks.
@suspenseful (40326)
Yes they are acts of God. To say man is to blame is giving man more credit and denies the omnipotence of God. The only way man is responsible is in that he disobeyed God's command in the Garden of Eden. It is not that in this modern age, he decided to go from gathering food and hunting game to cultivating and destroying the land, or from going from wandering to living in cities, to having steel mills rather then using stone tools. In other words, man's progress did not cause these disasters. The only disaster man would be blamed for is failure to take precautions as when New Orleans was flooded because even though they knew that it was in danger of flooding, because for some years there were no floods, they did not built the dams or levees high enough or when in Earthquake prone countries, they think building adobe houses with no foundations will be all right.
@manong05 (5030)
In a sense, I agree with you suspenseful. We must draw the line between what is nature and what man has done that greatly affected the outcome.
@suspenseful (40326)
Man can sometimes cause disasters, but he cannot go and pull all the trees off the land and make it rain. He has to pull all the trees in a certain area. And he would not know whether it will cause a flood or turn it into a desert. But God can do that. HE can make it rain a lot and turn that now barren land into a floodplain or HE can cause the sun to shine and turn it into a desert.
@spalladino (17927)
These events have been happening for thousands of years so how could man be responsible for them? In order for this theory to hold up, there would have to be a predictable increase in activity as time goes by and there is not. I believe these events are "acts of nature". I don't believe that God creates every high or low pressure system or that He forms every storm or directs it's path.
@manong05 (5030)
There were typhoons, flooding and hurricane even in prehistoric times I believe. But they can be called calamities if lives and properties are lost. Rain will only be rain and they will dry up eventually but they cause severe floods caused by unabated deforestation, and rampant disposal of garbage clogging waterways and drainage systems. Volcanoes have been erupting eversince but lives are lost when people build houses and communities near a known volcano. Talking of predictable activities happening, the rise of the sea level are predicted, at the moment scientists are predicting about 3 feet rise within the period of five years and this is caused by global warming, the melting of the ice caps which have thousands of kilometers radius. Climate change are also observed and recorded including its devastating effects and comparative studies done. cheers!
I think its better to call them as the consequences of what we are doing. I think man also behaves like an animal in certain areas because we cease to think on certain issues and carry on doing them and we blame the so called GOD for the consequences of all our acts. You do the act.Blame the God for the result if its a bad one and congratulate yourself if its a good one. Population is increasing,pollution is increasing Ecosystem balance is greatly affected these days because of deforestation so what else can we expect. I think all these natural calamities can be traced back to the loss of eco balance. Ofcourse these are all my opinions and need not necessarily be the exact reasons.
@manong05 (5030)
Your observation and opinion are correct. What else can cause severe flooding other than blatant deforestation and clogging of waterways. The imbalance in the ecosystem, produces devastation in many areas of the world.