What are Transhumanists? Or Frankenstein's Monster revisted?

@debrakcarey (19925)
The body of thought that deals with enhancement technologies is called transhumanism. In essence, transhumanists favor using technology to enhance mental and physical human capacities. For transhumanists, the human species is about to begin a new form of evolution. Instead of biological evolution – slow processes of survival, reproduction, and adaptation over geological time – it will be powered by technologies that will increasingly work their way inwards, radically transforming our bodies and minds. "If we have learned one thing from the history of invention and discovery, it is that, in the long run – and often in the short one – the most daring prophecies seem laughably conservative." – Arthur C. Clarke http://exceptionmag.com/culture/society/000470/what-transhumanism Are we about to see the Human Genome Project used to create a new race of human monsters?
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Monsters or something better? Could go either way, I suppose...
@debrakcarey (19925)
Is there such a thing as something better than monsters?
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
lol I was thinking better humans. But somehow I think we'd muck it up!
@debrakcarey (19925)
I knew you could clarify that.
@DavidReedy (2411)
It could be fascinating. It could be scary. I'm not worried about notions of "Playing God" I believe that God gave us knowledge and science to be used, but... knowing human nature for all of its ignorance, self-righteous, and oftimes, outright malevolence, I do worry about what will become--will they create superior and inferior races?
@debrakcarey (19925)
I am not one of those believers in God who feel afraid of science. I welcome new discoveries...and am trying to understand physics even!....Steven Hawkings is one of my heros. lol I just don't put the puzzle together the same way others do...I see God more clearly because of my knowledge of science rather than except the denial of Him by science. Scienctific knowledge can become a 'religion' of itself, don't you think? Have you read The Language of God by Fransis Collins?...He was one of the heads of the Human Genome project. People believe the propaganda that men of science cannot/do not believe in God...he proves them wrong! He is a believer and I encourage everyone to find his book and read it. I said previously in another discussion that I know WAY to much about the evil mankind is capable of....those who do not accept the law of God do not have any constraints on what they may do with that great knowledge. Back to the Tower of Babel discussion....that was WHY God prevented the ancients from increasing knowledge and building an empire of rebellion against God. And I beleive they knew a whole lot more than WE ARE ALLOWED to know about.
I do not the absolute truisms of the Babel story--perhaps t'was exactly as the Bible says, or perhaps, t'was a metaphor for the arrogance of well-established civilizations--perhaps both. No argument here from the pro-spiritual-scientific front. Quantum physics are kind of the mavericks or dark horses of science, when more and more there findings convince them, in the very least, that there is a greater Consciousness behind things...
@debrakcarey (19925)
Yes, that is what I see when I study physics. It is beautiful to behold!