Aluminum foil

@Trace86 (5043)
I work in a nursing home and have a younger resident on my wing. She keeps insisting that it is ok to put aluminum foil in the microwave as long as it is covered by something else. I keep insisting that I am not going to put anything metal in the microwave. Today she got so mad that I took her sandwich out of the foil and just microwaved it in the paper bag. She said as long as it stayed in the closed paper bag, it would be fine. Do any of you have information or experience with this? If she is right, I will gladly admit it, but if I am right I want to stick to my guns.
You are right.
@ElicBxn (59816)
you are more right if metal can arc, it will, so folded or crinkled foil is bad - and in a paper bag, well, that's just itching to start a fire - if you have a spoon or fork in something then it doesn't have anything to arc to and its pretty safe - I actually went to a kind of class for microwaving food and the teacher said you could put foil in the "nuke" and it would harmlessly arc - if you didn't have anything that could catch fire
@home415 (119)
I am not sure about the covering. If their is a little hole i mean a little whole it will catch on fire I have done that personally. Cooking some food trying but I didn't try doing it again.
@aeiou78 (3458)
If you place a metal object inside the microwave oven, easily you can find the sparks inside the oven. With these sparks, the fan of the microwave oven will be easily killed and faulty. However, try to handle your machine well to prolong it's lifespan.
@mylila (107)
You cannot put a aluminium foil in the microwave. Any aluminium stuff such as your forks and spoons can overheat the microwave and catch fire. As for paper bags, I haven't used one, but maybe you have to control the power heat as I'm afraid it will to cause fire. Unless if it's a microwavable paper bags. Better check your manual.
@cream97 (29176)
Trace86. This resident is out of her mind! You should never put aluminum foil in the microwave to warm up at all! It will spark a fire and cause severe damage to her food and to the microwave itself. She should never warm up her food like that! And if she eats it she can become poisoned from the metal particles. I think that she really needs to follow your advice and not her own. If she does follow her own, she can become sick or or may even die from metal exposure.
I think it is dangerous to put the aluminum foil inside the microwave oven. Because no mental can be put inside the microwave oven. And aluminum foil is a kind of metal thing. You are right. You have not done something wrong. It can cause the microwave oven out of order. Furthermore, I am afraid whether it can lead to a dangerous case such as bombing. I dare not to have a try. I love China