Kids out of control at a store - why don't these parents stop them?

I have always tried to teach 4 year old not to touch everything at the store . . . if she did look at something, she should put it back where it belongs afterwards. I try to have her stay near me and she knows (mostly) that running around in the store is a no-no. Yesterday, we went to a Halloween shop in the afternoon when a bunch of kids were there. I can understand all the Halloween excitement - especially since the store was full of cool, Halloween items and decor. But some of these parents were allowing their kids (like 8-12 year olds) run all over the store . . . with plastic weapons in their hands. They had on masks and hats that they were just pulling off the shelves, trying them on, and dropping them onto the floor. They were touching the displays and not being careful (knocking some of them down or messing with the animatronics). What is it with these parents who don't do a thing to stop them? I see that some of these parents weren't even paying attention. They were on their cell phones or occupied with their own shopping! Why do you think some parents allow this behavior?? Just because it's a fun Halloween shop doesn't mean you can let your kids be free to do whatever they nutty thing they want!
@zed_k4 (17627)
I know what you mean and I've been wondering about this for quite some time now. Sometimes when kids bump into strangers like when they are running along at the store or something, some parents give the strangers one kind of stare, like the strangers were the one bumping into their children; instead of the other way round. However, I also have seen some very nice parents disciplining their children like asking them to say sorry that kind of thing; educating them at the store, not letting them run amok, LOL. I think you are right. It starts with the parents, really and they are the only ones that can stop their kids from being out of control. Good topic here.
Oh yes, I've gotten "the eye" from such parents as well . . . as if it were our fault that their kid ran into me! What nerve! It is nice to see parents who take charge of their kids . . . it really is a perfect teaching opportunity for the kids. I know if I started running amuck like these kids, my parents would have been plenty upset with me . . . I wouldn't even dare do it in the first place!
@zed_k4 (17627)
You are absolutely right; it all starts off with the parents, for sure..
@malamar (784)
You are right, much2say, these kids are everywhere. I cannot believe the number of children, especially the really young ones, that are running unsupervised through the whole store. These are the parents who publicly claim "I only turned my back for a minute" when the child ends up hurt or worse, abducted. As far as I am concerned, neglect is also a huge form of child abuse, but unfortunately, the law doesn't seem to agree with that. So, who's to blame for this - the kids or the parents? I think that answer is fairly simple, don't you? Keep teaching your child socially acceptable behaviours. Believe me, when she is older, you will be very happy that you did.
It's really alarming how often I see sitations like this . . . what is going on with parenting these days? Granted there are bad mommy/daddy moments for everyone, but it's blatantly obvious when a parent totally not paying attention to their child. It's one thing for a little one to unknowingly do these things, but an older child should know better on their own . . . obviously it's not that way. I guess some parents must think kids should have their fun - but let's be reasonable . . . and respectful first of all!
I see this so often it's scary. Just the other day I saw a little girl around the age of 3 or 4 in Sam's Club without a single adult anywhere around. I looked down several of the nearest aisles, thinking that surely someone was with her. I asked her if she knew where her mom and dad were. She pointed to them halfway across the store, both of them walking around without the slightest hint of concern for their daughter. Finally, I took her to her parents and explained that I thought she was lost, and they barely batted an eyelash. They laughed it off and said "she's always wandering off somewhere". Seriously? Since when did so many parents become unconcerned for their children and their safety.
Oh geez, isn't that unbelievable? How can parents let their little ones drift away from them like that? You'd have to wonder about some of these kidnapping or abduction cases . . . were the parents really supervising these children? They will be sorry the one day their kids get hurt, or even be gone, or even worse! These days with wacko people about (and you never know who they are), you really have to keep an eye on your children . . . I'm surprised parents just let their kids wander off on their own like that . . . not good.
@saizo6 (2211)
Behavior like this doesn't just happen in the specialty stores. I've seen it all over the place. I honestly don't know what's going through the parents' minds but I know that my mother never allowed that kind of behavior to happen when we went to the store with her. I guess those parents figured that it was okay for their kids to make a big mess out of everything because there are workers who would pick up after them. After all, it is their job. I don't know how many times I've heard this phrase used by parents to their kids when I was working at a fast food restaurant back in the days. It always makes me mad to hear it too. Anyways, I'm just thinking that parents aren't disciplining their kids well enough these days.
You're right - it does happen all over the place. I just happen to mention the Halloween store because it happened recently. Oh yes, and my parents would have killed me if I behaved like that - I wouldn't dare even think of doing it in the first place! Parent's probably do think it's ok for their kids to do whatever they want in a store - afterall it's not THEIR home, so why should they care? Well, it's about having RESPECT for others and it's too bad these parents are missing the opportunity to teach such things to their children. Definitely parenting is much looser these days1
@Shellyann36 (9181)
I do not like to see children run wild out in public. It is very irresponsible of the parents and very irritating for the rest of the patrons in the store trying to get their shopping done. I especially get ticked when kids are running around crazy and not watching out for elderly, physically disabled people or very pregnant women! Honestly, a child running in a store is a danger to themselves and to the other patrons of the store. Usually if I see a child doing this I will contact a store employee or manager to let them handle the situation. As far as the parents of these children, they need a good talking to that is for certain!
And I am one of those pregnant women! I didn't particular appreciate a kid running around with a plastic Halloween sword, wearing a mask that they could barely see out of. One was so close to jabbing my tummy . . . and the kid didn't even take notice to it at all (neither did the parent, obviously). Yah, I should have contacted a manager . . . instead I took it upon myself to tell the kid to stop, but he didn't even look at me and kept on gong. Next time I'll tell someone who works there - good idea.
Ya you are right..parents should control their kids. in public.Nowadays,they just let go of them..then their children really annoy others in public.
Parents should control their kids, period. They are probably so rowdy in public because their parents do not have a hold of their children at home. It's one thing to annoy others in public, but it's another to disregard the safety of others and respecting the store and the merchandise in the store!
i don't know why should some parents allow their kids to run around inside the store. i didn't allow my kids to do that when they were young. i always warn them against "moving" unnecessarily inside the store, be it the toy section or any other section of the store. i always tell them to be extra careful and behave lest they break something and our money is not enough to pay for the broken items, lol. they were behaved then.
It's good there are parents like you who teach their children how to behave in stores! But what happened to these other parents? Were their children so rowdy that these parents just gave up on them? These kids that we saw were of age where they should know better . . . shame on the parents!
@afarrell1 (261)
I hate to say it, but at the 8 - 12 range mom might not have even been in the same store! I've seen it where parents will drop kids off at these types of stores and then go do something else in the same strip. It's sad really.
That is true! I've seen a lot of that too - you bring up a good point! In my case with the Halloween shop, there was an adult figure there if that wasn't the kids' mom . . . but she was too occupied in looking for her own costume that she could care less (or so it seemed) what the kids were doing. What are these parents/guardians thinking? That is really sad that some parents drop off their kids at one place and then go shopping elsewhere . . . so much for quality time with your kids - and teaching them right!
@lynnemg (4539)
I am one of those parents who will leave the store if my children misbehave. They are by no means perfect, but they know what is expected of them in the store and they know that I am not afraid to leave an entire cart of groceries behind and walk out if the store if they do not behave. I get very frustrated when I see parents allowing their children to run wild in the stores and I have a hard time understanding why they allow it at all. The only thing I can think of is that these parents figure that if the kids are occupied elsewhere, they can shop in peace? To me, it is dangerous for several reasons to allow kids to run around loke that. First, you never know what can happen. There are so many child abductions all of the time, why would any parent let their kids out of sight when they are in a store. It only takes a few seconds for someone to grab a child. Second, you have the safety of others to keep in mind. What if one of those kids were to accidentally knock down an elderly person or knock down a display? I would rather remove my kids from the store than chance either of those things happening.
That's probably what it is . . . the parents are at peace when the kids are occupied elsewhere. I think of "abductions" all the time, and I make sure my kid is near me or that I can see her at all times. I guess some parents don't believe it would ever happen to them. And yes, the safety of others. I was a bit peeved because I am pregnant . . . I don't need to jabbed accidentally even by a plastic sword at a Halloween shop!! What are these parents thinking? It's a perfect opportunity to teach kids respect . . . but they're missing it.
@Fulltank (2896)
when my children are still toddler, shopping is a very fun thing to do. i don't tolerate my children in touching any grocery items as it will definitely brings a catastrophe. what i do is that i let my child enjoy shopping by put her in the cart and ride the whole shopping day. now that they are big enough to be responsible for their actions, its no longer a habit for us. but sometimes when we felt wanted to having fun doing the shopping, i do let them ride once in while.
Oh yes, shopping carts are wonderful for giving kids a ride - and to keep them from running around! I wish they had carts big enough to hold older kids - ha ha - I think some parents need it! Little ones do not need to grab stuff off the shelves, I do agree. I used to pass my little one something we did need, so she could place it gently into the cart (and that kept her occupied).