Are you a honker or a yeller when you get mad at another driver?

Some people are real pokey when they're driving . . . I'm sorry, but I think they need to know when they do something wrong. I could yell obscenities, but they're never going to see or hear me (unless I was one of thoe people who intentionally drive up next to them to give them a glare or give them the finger, which I won't). So I will honk to get their attention . . . but I won't honk a zillion times . . . if I got their attention for them to realize they did something wrong, then that's enough. I'm not into road rage, but I can see how some irrate drivers can do some crazy things to get back at another driver. I personally wouldn't do it in that manner, but hey, we need to somehow let these pokey drivers know either follow the rules or get off the road. What do you think?
@sacmom (14336)
I've been a honker and usually mutter under my breath about what an idiot they are. However, after a couple of instances where people got mad at me for honking at them for their mistakes, I try not to do it so much anymore. Like you, I never honked a lot. One such instance I had been leaving the shopping center. I had let some pedestrians go ahead of me. I guess the driver to the right of me grew impatient, because once the pedestrians passed, the driver started to turn left as I was going straight ahead. I honked once to let her know that I had the right of way, but apparently she didn't like that and cut me off anyway. As she did, I honked again. She had the nerve to get mad at me, when here she was the one that cut me off. Being it was hot outside and me with no air conditioning in my truck I got mad right back. But I ended up backing down as I didn't want the situation to escalate into something worse. Road rage can be a dangerous thing. The last thing I need is to be involved in something where someone thinks that they own the road. Because next time I may not be so lucky. Happy mylotting!
@Mac6999 (706)
I try not to do either one, but I must say that I probably honk more then yell. Yelling does not do anything especially if your glasses are up, the only person who can hear it is people in your can. I try to avoid honking, but sometimes I just lose it. I dont honk if someone does a small mistake, its only when they keep on doing something wrong or if there is a serious danger.
You sounds like a sensible person! True, yelling doesn't do anything . . . unless your windows are down and you intentionally poke your head out to let out a few choice words! I have a little one in the car with me, so I have to watch what I say . . . I can't be yelling at anyone. So I guess I tend to use my horn. And I will honk if something could have happened and they don't seem to realize it . . . otherwise it could happen again.
@mssnow (9495)
I'm a mumbler. I just tell them what they are doing wrong in a low voice. I know they can't hear me but am so afraid of being shot i just let it go for the most part. I'll let someone else honk at them lol
For the most part I don't yell or honk at other drivers. I am most forgiving for minor goof ups on the road. I simply think to myself. Ooops brain freeze. Haven't we all had moments like that where we don't know why we did what we did? HOW EVER, there are those times when you know a driver was just trying to get away with something. Like cut you off when he knows he should have waited but was too impatient. He or She could of caused an accident but they don't seem to care. Or they run those lights that barely just turned red. If I just step on it I can make it. Doesn't matter about the pedestrian that almost got run over or the cars that were moving forward on their green light. NOW, those ones, I don’t' just want to yell and honk at but I want to catch up to them to get their license plate number so I can call the police. Of course I am not going to speed to do it but those people get on my nerves.
Oh yes, the minor ones I tend let go . . . we are all human afterall. We even have our moments (but I will say at least I do wave to let the other person realize I knew I was in the wrong). And then, as you said, there are those impatient drivers that just make rash decisions and are "this close" to causing something that shouldn't happen. What's the hurry, folks? I would love to play cop and get their license plates, but I wonder if the cops would actually do something about (it seems like they don't act on it unless something bad DOES happen). Sigh.
I would say i'm a little of both although I don't have a car I yell from the passengers seat sometimes but not obscenities though just insults ;-)
Hee hee - I'm usually the chauffeur these days, so it didn't even occur to me if I do that as a passenger! Of course I don't honk the horn as a passenger (geez, that would really be obnoxious!), but I'm sure I've yelled out a few choice words!
@rgvmom (2)
I used to do both, sometimes I could even show the finger (sorry). Once I saw this car going really slow, I was behind it. There was the sticker on their rear window saying something like "Keep honking I am reloading". I started being really careful after that. You never know what kind of person is in the another car.
Ha ha, believe me, there have been many times I would have wanted to use the finger! That is true, you never know who may be driving . . . they may be handicapped or whatever. But then there are folks who are obviously doing dumb things like talking on their cells, or talking to someone next to them and not paying attention to the road. I would do both - if I really have to!
@jesssp (2743)
I'm guilty of doing both, only no one can hear me yelling. I don't use my horn too often, usually just when someone does something really stupid or dangerous. And then I quite often have trouble 'finding' the horn so it take me a few tries before I finally get a honk!
That's too funny! I know exactly where my horn is and I will use it - ha ha. Just one short beep . . . so I'm not being too obnoxious. For some reason it's just instinct for me to just hit the horn when another driver does something stupid, dangerous, or just plain rude. It's a yell from my car they can hear - ha ha.
@Wizzywig (7860)
Of the two choices, I'm a yeller. Though I often just say it out loud rather than actually yelling. I know they can't hear but it helps to let it out rather than sit behind the wheel fuming I'm not into putting myself or my passengers/other road users in danger so, if someone is so desperate to be a car length in front, they can go...& then I'll laugh as I pull up behind them or find myself in the lane with the shorter queue at the lights.
I used to be a mild yeller, but now I have to watch it as most of the time I have my 4 year old with me . . . and I have to set an example! It does feel good to just let it all out there and then, eh? You're right about keeping things safe - no need to put anyone in danger. But sometimes I just don't feel like giving someone the opportunity to getaway with wreckless driving - and I want to let them know about it - ha ha.